Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Long style shifter

henny496

Corvette
1963 Corvette coupe(pro street)
Hello
I am currently trying to fit my inline shifter into the tunnel. I have a Doug Nash 5 speed which is the same dimensionally as a Richmond 5 speed or a G-Force
I have two Long style inline shifters( vertical gate style and I do have a Hurst as well) but I don't want to cut up my 63 console. I can get elaborate and start to move the shifter around and refab some parts, but I was curious if anyone had ever used a Long style H-pattern shifter, or any other type of racing H-pattern shifter that does not require a lot of surgery on the console
I can make this work, but it will just take a lot more time > If someone has a tip, I would appreciate knowing before I start to re fab the shifter
thanks
Tom

shifter

Hello
After getting everything in place, I have found out that I cannot get an H-pattern shifter to fit either
I had figured out a way on how to lower the shifter, but I cannot bring it in narrow enough.......my motor is also centered in the chassis which is another 1.75 inches towards the drivers side. I spent a lot of time raising and widening the tunnel, but until I got the tranny finally in place with the floor, I did not know how it would exactly fit........now I do
I have a solution and I will post some pics later, once I figure out how to make this look pretty
take care
Tom

Hello Kevin
After I got the console from you, I found another complete one that had not been touched with the side rails, clips etc
The shifter just sticks out WAY wider than I had thought....I will send you a pic and you can see for yourself
I will post a pic on the site once I figure out how to make it look pretty when finished
take care
Tom

FWIW, I installed a Long shifter with my Richmond Street 5-speed in my 57 a few years ago. A friend (an original 57 FI owner - still!) gave me a rather worn 57 shift lever which I "adapted" to the Long shifter. I did not have to modify the tunnel at all. Everything fit so well I was able to reinstall the original 57 console plate (the original owner had installed a Muncie in it and had to use a 59-62 console plate). I also used a "modified" (ie cut to fit with monkey snot to keep it there) C5 leather shift boot. It really looks close to stock until you blink...

The only problem I haven't yet overcome is the shifter seems to conduct heat from the drivetrain and actually gets hot after a while!

Here's a pic of the finished product (thanks to Rich for making the 5-speed shift plate): (Oohhh Tom, I hope this isn't too big!):W

57shifter.jpg

Just makes it easy to see Bill :L

Hello Bill
Thanks very much for sending the pic. It looks like you have done an excellent job on your shifter installation. If I saw your car, I would be none the wiser that it had been altered
Mine however won't be so inconspicuous
I centered the engine in the car for a couple of reasons...one being so that either the tunnel ram or blower is centered when looking down the hood
That brought it over to the drivers side by 1.75 inches. I raised the tunnel and widened it quite a bit, but the top is stock.....just higher and the sides are bulged out on the drivers side more
With that being the case, after I had spent so much time worrying about the ht of the shifter, I had not thought that it would be as far left as it is.
Even if I used an H-pattern shifter, I would have to hack the side of the console.I just cannot move it over enough and if I could come up with something, I am afraid I may wreck the quick shifting ability that I need.....this car will be raced
I have a solution and I think I will have it ready in a few more days. I will post some pics then, and I hope it will look appealing to fellow forum members......it is different
thanks very much
Tom

Tom, Isn't there some kinda shifter out there that mounts over the trans - something like an old Cobra (if my memory is correct)?

I'd like to see pics when you're satisfied.

work in progress

Hello
I know the Tremac's use a shift rod which is incorporated into the top center on the tranny. It would of made my application much simpler if I had a tranny designed like that.......unfortunantely I don't
I had thought of making a go-between type of system in which I could move the shifter over to the right, but it would of been quite bulky and very time consuming to make . I also was not sure if it would work as well
I wanted to retain the top console and the sides are not stock anyway. So much of this car has been altered, it is not funny, but I am trying to keep myself in check by retaining the stock look where possible and whenever possible
It has been very frustrating at times, but the hard part is coming to an end
I added the pics of the shifter and firewall from the past week onto my assembly page on my photobucket site and this is the link

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/henny496/assembly/

I have to do most of the work myself, but I am fairly happy with it. The body is not coming off now
I took a few pics today, but I had so much dust on the car, you could not make out anything but a white flash......powerwashing time
I will be able to Lizard Skin the interior soon( as long as I don't encounter too many more set backs) and then I want to figure out the wiring as well as finish block sanding the body
If you knew where I started, you would know what I mean when I say, I am in the last of the hard stuff
take care
Tom

Tom,

Nice work! I saw in one of the pics a second console. Could you split the two consoles and combine them into one wider console to incorporate the shifter? It would not be "stock" but might look stock enough for more than one doubletake!:beer

Hello Bill
That is something I had not thought of. I will look at it, but I won't cut anything unless I am sure I can make it work
I have the forward legs/extensions as well, so I may actually need part of a third console to make it work( damaged one)
Thanks for the idea, I will look into it
take care
Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom