Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking at a 1998 coupe

bosshogg

Corvette
1988 Coupe
I am currently looking at a 98 coupe. I just need to know if there are any special problems or areas that I should check on this car. I now have a C-4 and I think I know most of the problems with them although new things are constantly coming up. I am getting "older" and working on some things are becoming a challenge, to say the least. I still know how to do most of the repairs so I just make my son do them as I drink beer and supervise LOL
Any help from you C-5 folks would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
JOHN :w

Thanks much 6 Shooter...would like to go as new as possible, but the kids are worried about me spending their "meager" inheritance...spend when you can enjoy it is what I say!!!
THE HOGG

Thanks much 6 Shooter...would like to go as new as possible, but the kids are worried about me spending their "meager" inheritance...spend when you can enjoy it is what I say!!!
THE HOGG

Buy the newest Vette you can afford and tell the kids that they get the Vette for inheritance. ;) :w

Inheritance - inschmeritance! Tell 'em to earn it like you did! :L j/k

As for the '98... I love mine! Bought it in 2004 with 25,000 miles on the clock. The previous owner was a Texas oilman that only drove it to church on Sundays.

One issue which comes to mind... check the battery area, including behind the fender well passenger side if possible.

The early '98's had an issue in which a leaking battery damaged the ... I think it is the BCM and wiring harness if memory serves.

I discovered damage about 6 months after I purchased mine, but it was minimal enough that my mechanic was able to neutralize, clean and seal the area with no further issues.

Good luck!
:wJane Ann

I am currently looking at a 98 coupe. I just need to know if there are any special problems or areas that I should check on this car. I now have a C-4 and I think I know most of the problems with them although new things are constantly coming up. I am getting "older" and working on some things are becoming a challenge, to say the least. I still know how to do most of the repairs so I just make my son do them as I drink beer and supervise LOL
Any help from you C-5 folks would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
JOHN :w

I have no kids, but I am a child of two great parents that are still living (they're in their 80's). Any kid that would put a priority of their inheritance over your happiness doesn't deserve an inheritance. Donate your inheritance to a worthy charity of your choice and tell your kids you're going to do it. Whenever my parents tell me they're going to buy something that make them happier, it makes me happier for them. - Ron

Maintenance records would be pretty important. You can call any Chevy dealer with the VIN number and get a record of any dealer performed service. (Ask very nicely)

If you get the car up on the lift take a look for any oil leaks and check that the 2 transverse leaf springs don’t have any cracks or peeling. (known as delaminating)

Thanks everyone for your input...I am going to keep looking and find the newest low mileage C-5 I can afford...I also have my eye on a '65 GTO...sweet car...at least I remember how to work on them...don't worry, there will also be a 'Vette in the garage
Thanks Again,
THE HOGG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom