Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking at buying 96 collectors edition

Rufusfruge

Corvette
1996 Silver Collectors Edition
Hi there,
im currently dealing with a car lot who is offering this vehicle for $4 grand. Yea, it a project find but in really nice shape for a 20yr old car. The cluster that shows the odometer reading along with your speed & gas level is faded so bad that we're unable to get the mileage. I've driven the car twice and all seems to function normally. It holds 20 lbs of oil pressure at idle & 40 while cruising. Trans shifts well too. Any advice out here as to what I might look at? Rufus

Hi there,
im currently dealing with a car lot who is offering this vehicle for $4 grand. Yea, it a project find but in really nice shape for a 20yr old car. The cluster that shows the odometer reading along with your speed & gas level is faded so bad that we're unable to get the mileage. I've driven the car twice and all seems to function normally. It holds 20 lbs of oil pressure at idle & 40 while cruising. Trans shifts well too. Any advice out here as to what I might look at? Rufus

Turn the Parking or Headlights on and rotate the headlight dimmer switch and see if you can read the LCD better.
If not, could be the backlight bulbs are burnt out or the LCD needs to be replaced.

There is an ambient light sensor located on the driver information center that you can shine a flash light on and the dash LCD should get brighter.

Big dollar replacement items are weatherstripping, carpet, leather seat upholstery and tires.

Also look at the RPO option code sticker. I believe it's under one of the rear storage bin lids.
If not look under the center console lid. It shows all of the options the car has.

RPO F45 is for real time damping suspension. The shocks have electrical wires going to them.
They are no longer made and used ones are over $200 each. Most people will replace them with
regular shocks if they go bad.

The arrow points to the ambient light sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought it!

Turn the Parking or Headlights on and rotate the headlight dimmer switch and see if you can read the LCD better.
If not, could be the backlight bulbs are burnt out or the LCD needs to be replaced.

There is an ambient light sensor located on the driver information center that you can shine a flash light on and the dash LCD should get brighter.

Big dollar replacement items are weatherstripping, carpet, leather seat upholstery and tires.

Also look at the RPO option code sticker. I believe it's under one of the rear storage bin lids.
If not look under the center console lid. It shows all of the options the car has.

RPO F45 is for real time damping suspension. The shocks have electrical wires going to them.
They are no longer made and used ones are over $200 each. Most people will replace them with
regular shocks if they go bad.

The arrow points to the ambient light sensor.
Thanks for the pointers. After considering all the pros & cons, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to own another c4. I've since had the windshield replaced and replaced all the u-joints on the half shafts. Next I'll replace the brakes & rotors all around. I'll also service the auto trans and probably change the rear seal on it while I'm at it. There's a few more issues I'll want to address before I'm ready to put her back on the road. Life is good! Rufus

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom