Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Looking at LT4 this weekend

1996 LT4 Topic

soggytaco

Corvette
96 CE LT4
I will be looking at a LT4 CE this weekend fairly low miles OK price. Clean carfax I spoke to the owner he said the only thing wrong was weather strip on rear hatch was starting to go. I know that is a common problem. Now the bad news I have a few friends that are mechanics but they will not be able to come with me. So does anybody have some specific questions I should ask the guy or any specific things I should look for? I am somewhat mechanically inclined so I plan on looking for leaks and things of that nature. Also this is a recall car I do not know if it was done is it to late to do the recall and if so how much would it cost to have it done on my own. What are the consequences if I don’t have it done? Thanks

Lets see . . .

Opti Spark
Water Pump
Function-ability of the Thermostatic Temp Control if it has it
Take a ride if possible and feel how the ZF 6-Speed shifts
Seat Controls & Lumbar
Bose Gold Sound System
Tire/Wheels

Hope this helps a bit.

On BTW - Got to ask, what's with soggytaco? ;shrug

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

How would I know if the optispark is bad?

If you want to know about the soggytaco PM me.

Hard to tell if the Opti is bad unless you have a symptomatic engine occurence. If mileage is over 70k and it's original, I would say prepare yourself for replacement. It MAY last..it MAY not. It's really not that bad if you do the work yourself. I did it at night after work and I KNOW it was done the right way and saved myself approx $800 in labor charges. (I lifted the intake and did a mild port, replaced w/ Perf gaskets, cleaned injectors etc etc)

I have a feeling the "taco" thing has to do with a woman. Am I wrong??;)

You must be really excited about checking this car out. That's a really nice car (LT4 CE). Best of luck, and I hope it works out for you!

If ya look @ the clam shell where it set’s right above the front of the engine, sometimes you can see a tell-tale sigh of spray thrown by the belt from the water-pump’s weep hole, my LT4’s water-pump failed this way.

I'm sure you know LT4 opti's were improved.

The transmission may be louder than what you would expect, but that's OK as long as it shifts smooth.

There was a restaurant in my college town that was called the Pink Taco. That's when I learned what it meant. Most people didn't know, but once they caught on to it, they were forced to change the name. :nono I never ate there because it just didn't seem right. I didn't think I could enjoy my meal.:puke

Chetzki

After 100K miles I am happy to report that I have only had to replace the waterpump, clutch bolt pivot and A/C controller. Not bad really, I did the work myself. I have, however, done a lot of other stuff simply for the sake of improvement. Biggy that I would look for is original flywheel and ask if it has ever been resurfaced at a machine shop, if so deduct atleast $1000 from the asking price right up front. Nothing else on the car is really a deal breaker from my perspective. Do a search on the flywheel and you will see that an original in good shape is the only way to go for the street.

wx briefer said:
Do a search on the flywheel and you will see that an original in good shape is the only way to go for the street.

Opinions vary on this....;)

6 Shooter said:
Opti Spark
Water Pump
Function-ability of the Thermostatic Temp Control if it has it
Take a ride if possible and feel how the ZF 6-Speed shifts
Seat Controls & Lumbar
Bose Gold Sound System
Tire/Wheels

Hope this helps a bit.

On BTW - Got to ask, what's with soggytaco? ;shrug

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Radiator leaks, ck around the spare tire for pinhole gas tank leaks (this is rare but mine had them @ 58k miles) you can probably just give it a smell test.

Floppy ears on visors, wheel bearings (need to jack it up & wiggle 12 & 6 hold)

Take targa top off/on to ck weatherstrip - it's expensive. Window & door lock electrics.

LPTWS if it has it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom