Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking at some C3's need advice

Paul G

Corvette
96 CE LT4 Convertible
Looking at some C3's need adxice

We are looking at some mid to late 70's C3's. We dont know much about them. Info like what are the popular options, troublesome areas, things to watch out for, etc would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

I have owned a '76 coupe, a '71 coupe and am now buying a '71 LT-1 convertible. I am partial to the steel bumper cars for styling and performance. Plus they are still reasonably affordable.

My '76 and '71 had p/s p/b. and a/c. The '76 had p/w. I never used the a/c but liked the p/w. The LT-1 doesn't have power anything.

Old corvettes usually have some problems. My experience has been that you either pay going in or pay along the way.

I like matching numbers and original stock cars. That is why I am excited about the LT-1 because it is unrestored, and all original in great shape. But it isn't inexpensive.

Good luck. If you have any other specific questions, please let me know.

Dave S.

PaulG-I recently purchased a 1980 Corvette.I made many mistakes that I wouldn`t now.Just by reading and doing some research on Corvettes has greatly advanced my knowledge level.I paid for those mistakes.
First off what are you buying one for? A daily driver?Do you want a powerful engine? Or is comfort and reliability or main concern.There are many good books on Vettes,mags etc. Corvetter Trader is a good tool also.

I would defnitly recommend going through the old threads in the C3 forum to get an idea where you want to start... There are many advantages and disadvantages through the C3 years and if you spend some time here you will learn a TON!! Also don't be afraid to check out the Model Center option as there is a wealth of info there too....

klb

Paul G
Hope you have a fat checkbook and an understanding wife...not vice-versa. Fred.:eek

first off, as stated before, what are you using it for? a trailer queen? daily driver? weekend cruiser? street/strip?

look for rust on the radiator support, look for Major rust on the fram and look at the condition of the frame around the rear wheelwells. from what i have seen front end bushing and shocks need to be repaired alot. and like any other car, give it a once over and check the numbers(get the VIN and engine cast # and if you can get the tranny #) and make sure everything, tranny, rear, and engine operates properly.

dont jump on anything. the first vette i bought was a mess, 78 home rebuilt L-82, auto, lights didnt come up and needed front end bushings. i was lucky and some guy just came up to me and offered more than i had bought it for so i sold it and i got the car that i have today, which is MUCH better. i should have just waited and bought this one, but hey i got lucky dont make the mistake and buy the first one you see unless you cant pass it up.

BigBrakeFuelie said:
First off what are you buying one for? A daily driver?Do you want a powerful engine? Or is comfort and reliability or main concern.

Well I have an 88 convertible I got 3 years ago. Love that car. After I got it a family member got the bug also. He got a 2000 Millenium Yellow convertible this summer. Now my brother in law has the bug. He is looking for a mid to late 70's C3. He will most likely use it for weekend cruising, pleasure drives and such. I will give him a little help (with your help) picking a good car.

I have learned this evening that the L48 is the base engine, L82 is a little better. Also track times get slower from 77 on up. What engine is the most popular? 2 manual transmissions are available the standard trans and the close ratio. Do either of them have problems? He wants a stick.

Which model years are more desirable?

Thanks for the tip on where to look for rust! Now I am going to the archives.

The 78 pace cars still look good & still within reason $ wise

If he wants a stick then it'll have to be a 4-speed. Probably the some of the most common and annoying things to look for on later 70's models are: do the headlights begin to pop up as soon as you pull out the light bar and are they even coming? If they aren't reasonably close together you might be having some vacuum problems. If they only come up when the engine is running then you're missing the vacuum reservoir up front. Not a big deal, I don't have one. I don't know, it's really not of vital importance but headlights are really annoying to fix and you need em. Wheel bearings on the rear of C3's are notorious for needing love, and they're pretty difficult to get to with the independent rear setup. The stock brake calipers and exhaust systems in the more emissions controlled models are ghastly and not performance oriented.
As you've probably been able to tell, you're pretty much going to find you've overlooked something important when buying your first C3. The bad part is, your stuck with it. The good part is, you won't do it again! :cool Good luck with your choice, and spend more time on the forum. Its knowledge is vast.

Well,

If your state is like Texas, vehicles 25 years and older don't have to pass the tailpipe sniffer, sooo, I would look for a 78 or older (since it probably won't have to be inspected until 2003), that way you can run true duals with no cats and remove the hated smog equipment. That stuff really robs horsepower. Other than that, all that has been said is good advice. One other thing to look for is good weather stripping. It's not that hard to replace but it's one of those things that most people never get around to doing.

Russ

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom