Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for a 69vert... advice?

M

mslayden

I am looking for a 69vert. I love these beautiful cars. I have lots of questions. I will start with a few. How do I gauge value? Prices seem to be all over the map, but not less than 15k. What should I expect in a 15k car? bad shape???

How to I learn about what to expect in this car? the good-the bad-the ugly.

and, finally, are there any really good places to find for sale lists? I dont really care about number matching concours. I want one I can drive daily and love.

thanks
Michael.

Michael - I see that you joined last December but since this is your first post let me say Welcome to the Corvette Action Center!! Don't be shy - we've got a great community here of friendly enthusiasts who love talking about Corvettes and answering questions.

Although I'm not familiar with the C3s, I can post some links to help you with your research while you go about gaining knowledge of the Shark generation.

This link will take you to the CAC Tech Center > Model Center index page for the 1969 model - Click here

This link will take you to the C3 sub-forum page for model years 1968-1982 - Click here

The C3 Technical and Performance Discussion Forum (Click here) contains 261 pages of threads for your viewing pleasure. ;)

The Search feature located in the blue bar near the top of each page can open the Advanced Search feature allowing you to type in specific search words for further reading.

We have some great C3 owners here and I'm sure they'll be happy to check in soon with their opinions and advice.

Good luck with your search!
:wJane Ann

Thanx guys. Here is another question... When I get into full swing looking to buy are there any trouble areas I should be aware of when checking out a car? Something like a... "dont forget to check the front shock mount... or left skyhook motor mount???" Just looking for things to be on the look out for regarding a purchase of a 40 year old car.

check for rust where the frame kicks up in front of the rear wheels.
it all depends on what you are looking for do you want a NCRS numbers matching garage queen or something to drive and enjoy. Are you a competant machanic or will you have to pay someone to do any work needed.
Best thing is when you find "the one" is to have someone familiar with Corvettes look at it with you if you are not a mechanic.
I have less trouble finding parts for my Corvettes then I do for my Kids 10 year old fords ;LOL;LOL

I want a driver I can enjoy. I dont want to park it in a museum and look at it. I want people to see me drive by in it. Dho!

I am a garage mechanic. I am capable and a quick study. I dont want one that will require work, but do loook forward to working on it.

I want a driver I can enjoy. I dont want to park it in a museum and look at it. I want people to see me drive by in it. Dho!

I am a garage mechanic. I am capable and a quick study. I dont want one that will require work, but do loook forward to working on it.

Well then you shouldn't have any trouble finding one most "Drivers" need TLC from time to time but thats half the fun

Thanx guys. Here is another question... When I get into full swing looking to buy are there any trouble areas I should be aware of when checking out a car? Something like a... "dont forget to check the front shock mount... or left skyhook motor mount???" Just looking for things to be on the look out for regarding a purchase of a 40 year old car.

Although the Corvette body is made of fiberglass, some areas are prone to rust. Be sure the seller will allow you to closely inspect.

Check the frame rails immediatley in front of the rear wheels. If you're able, use a something metal to tap on the area - you should hear a ping rather than a thud.

You'll also want to check the windshield frame. Do a visual check, and also use a business card or something similar and run it across the area between windshield and the frame. Hopefully, it will come out clean. The problem in this area is rust spreading to what's called the "birdcage" From what I understand, restoring the birdcage is one of the most difficult restoration procedures.

Half the fun is looking for your Dream Vette. Good luck - before you know it, you'll be getting your first "Corvette Wave".
Ralph
:w

This may come in handy too... ;)

Corvette Action Center Buying A Corvette Buyer's Form ( Click )

The link will take you to an online form which can be printed and used as a reminder/checklist while looking at a prospective Corvette.

Good luck - enjoy the search!
:wJane Ann

As stated the frame and birdcage are the most important things. Then paint and body. Numers are important for value. Remember there were a lot of 69's made and I remember when they were not favored. I picked up my 69 vert, NOM for $3,300 in 1981. Then they were a dime a dozen and the most they cost was $5,000.
A lot of them changed hand a lot so look it over real good. Take someone who knows them with you as well.
Mine is now sitting the past 5 years stripped to a shell waiting for me to build it again.

I guess the question becomes, what are you looking for? I know you stated you want a driver, but what kind. If you want a non-numbers matching, there are some decent 69's out there between 18-24K. Numbers matching, the price runs up. Convert... well as it is said, to[ down/price up. Then also what are you looking at for power. Several options were availible in 69. 350/300hp, 350/350hp and then the big blocks. I picked up mine for 18K, and will end up putting in at lest 15K into to over then next 2 years, but for me, I want my car to match what it looked like when it was born in St. Louis.

As far as what too look for, birdcage is big. Also check to see if the battery box has been rebuilt. I believe it was the U-joint that would go, and smash into the battery box. Also there is a port by the rear wheels that you can look into to see how the frame looks as it works its way back up and over the rear. Also cross reference the VIN here on CAC to what you see on the car ( if there are strange stampings on the engine, be very careful as well) There are some "numbers matching" sellers out there who know how to raise a price if you take them at your word.

As far as market price, several Corvette Publications such as CE go to auctions and publish what the market values are (C3's took a slight hit this year) so you can compare what you are getting

Lastly, if you have any doubts or concerns, post a question and picture here on CAC. I just jumped into the C3 world after looking for about a year, and doing my research here at CAC.

Good luck on your search..make sure you post pics when you get it.

There is some good advice posted. I owned a 69 and did a complete restoration twice during the 200,000 miles I drove it.Great car.I think you'll be in the $20,000 range on purchase and it'll ave Three grand a year to keep it on the road .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom