Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for a Vette Transporter

cruzer99

Corvette
99 Navy Blue Pearl Vert. NCRS Member
Can anyone recommend a transporter to move my Vette from Sacramento, Calif to Hickory, N.C.
I just get so tired of this sunshine so I thought I would move closer to the mother ship where it was born.
Thanks,:beer :w

I used Dependable Auto Shippers to ship my car from Oregon to MA. I paid an extra $100.00 or so to make sure my car was on top to make sure nothing leaked on it from another vehicle. I was very happy with DAS. My car was shipped in one of those HUGE enclosed carriers and it made it in 2 or 3 days. These carriers are so big the have to stay on the main highways since they can't fit under a lot of bridges off the highways. They'll deliver it to one of their "stations" (carages) just off a highway in your area. They were as reasonable as anybody out there as far as their prices were concerned.

-John

Be careful. I had my Camaro shipped and it was on the bottom. It arrived filthy enough that my wife didn't even notice the gouges in the hood. After she signed for it, there was no way the company was going to make good. Enclosed sounds the way to go.

Ruckmjr said:
Be careful. I had my Camaro shipped and it was on the bottom. It arrived filthy enough that my wife didn't even notice the gouges in the hood. After she signed for it, there was no way the company was going to make good. Enclosed sounds the way to go.

That's why I had mine shipped in an enclosed carrier, on the TOP ramp. The transporters won't pay for damage caused by anything that leaks from a car sitting above yours. The $100.00 extra cost is a small price to pay to make sure your car arrives in the same shape it was shipped, IMO.

-John

vett boy said:
You do relize that in a c-5 it's only 20 hous driving time. (top up) Good luck !

I agreed - sounds like the ride of a lifetime. But take two weeks and enjoy the ride

Thanks guys, I have given it a lot of thought and if I didn't have two cars, (ones a Tahoe), I would drive.
Now one thought is to ship the Tahoe and drive the Vette, top down.
Thanks all for the response's :upthumbs :beer :w

cruzer82 said:
Thanks guys, I have given it a lot of thought and if I didn't have two cars, (ones a Tahoe), I would drive.

...or rent a u-haul car hauer transport trailer and pull the Vette on the trailer behind the Tahoe :cool

Uhaul's trailers have surge brakes, so no special wiring or equip is needed - as long as you have the trailer towing pkg. from Chevy, you are ready to go

To rent a car trailer runs about $500 on way. I gave some thought to buying a new one ($2K), and then selling it when I get there and take a $ hit of $500 or so. I then looked into having it transported in a closed truck (on top), for about $1300 which would save on gas, hotel (extra night or two), and stress and worry about parking in motel parking lots at night.

cruzer82 said:
To rent a car trailer runs about $500 on way. I gave some thought to buying a new one ($2K), and then selling it when I get there and take a $ hit of $500 or so. I then looked into having it transported in a closed truck (on top), for about $1300 which would save on gas, hotel (extra night or two), and stress and worry about parking in motel parking lots at night.

That's a good price considering it's on top.

cruzer82 said:

What's a Tahoe?? Sounds like something that belongs on the lower (cheaper) level of a transporter. Aren't they supposed to get dirty?

FROM THE LEFT COAST TO THE "RIGHT" COAST!

This reply is to welcome you to Hickory, NC. We live in Newton which is the adjacent town. Have you ever lived in NC before? If not, you'll love it. One thing we always try to do in NC is---------------------------------------------------------------------
2203766_10_full.jpg

RIDE WITH THE TOP DOWN!!!!!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
CORVETTE OWNER SINCE 1971 AT AGE 18
Celebrating 35 years of Corvette ownership
**I'm definitely in this for the long haul!**

Thanks for the welcome.....I'm thinking about flying back next month to look for a place to live (house with a big garage). I'm not really set on any place for sure just in that area.
Ron:beer :w

Move to Hickory

Cruzer 82, Being a former resident of Conover (town right next to Hickory), I can assure you that you will really enjoy NC . The weather is great and the people are very friendly. I moved to Florida and find myself ready to move back to NC (jacksonville area in the near future. Good luck with your move. Some of the airlines are offering some reasonable flights across country at this time. Drive the Vette to find a house and fly back to move.

Ron

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom