Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for advice from L-88 experts

astrolake

Corvette
1968 L-88? red conv
I've found a 1968 L-88 convertible over here in sunny Yurrop. I'd like some advice on what my issues should be before buying it.

The numbers all match between the IT code motor, M22 trans and the chassis. The motor was built a few months before the chassis, so there is nothing that looks odd. The gas tank was replaced in 2001, the tank sticker was "unreadable". It has the right tachometer (6500 redline), carb, transistor ignition and brake calipers. The headers and wheels (Crager SS) aren't original. The radiator doesn't have a shroud. It doesn't have any "frill options" just as you would expect on an L-88 (it has an aftermarket radio so the "radio delete" panel is missing). It doesn't have the sticker warning to use 103 Octance gas that is supposed to be on L-88s. The current owner runs it on 98. He's a mechanic so I suppose he might have just set the timing to avoid ping? (or maybe worse case is that somebody changed the heads?)

It probably never had a smog pump since it was delivered over here. I haven't checked on some of the other parts that are special to an L-88 and not sure what the complete list with parts codes might be (anyone have a reference?) I suppose that any that have date stamps might help check
for consistency of the build (will this include the carbs and the head? maybe the alternator?)

It was likely delivered over here. The car has 75K miles on it and has always been garaged. So, it looks like a 5 year old car that has been well kept. It was repainted in the 80s, originally green, now red. No stress cracks. Good chrome. Interior is good, no rust visible anywhere on the chassis, minimal flexing when put on a lift (maybe the door gap changes by a mm, but these convertibles were never stiffer, I suspect?)

My biggest concern is that the heads might have been changed. But, all in all, it looks like a great car. What should I be ask/check/look at?

I know that there are lots of clones out there. Is the matching numbers together with the right options feel enough to convince anyone that this really is an L-88? They are casual about these cars over here.

Gosh, having written this, I think I talked myself into buying it! (It's only $31K!!) But, I'd still like to know how I really verify what it is and what it might be missing.

It's a shame that there isn't data to get a build sheet from the VIN. Too bad that one can't even trace a VIN to an original dealer and get info...

Thanks for your expert advice!

p.s. I posted this to Corvette Forum as well. I apologize if it is a breach of etiquette to post both places. They appear to be completely independent.

Sorry to say, but it sounds like a fake. A true 1968 L88 convertible that looks "five years old" with low miles should command much more than $31k. Without a complete tank sticker (seen some that conveniently only have engine info and little else) and/or other documentation, it is impossible to verify the originality of the car.

That said, one would be hard pressed to build an L88 clone for $31k. If you like it that much, then buy it, but keep in mind unless their is documentation, it will never be more than a 1968 Corvette with an L88 motor.

Well, I bought the car. So far, it checks out, though I certainly wish that
I had the tank sticker. It has all the right options, the stamps on the engine and transmission look good, not like restamps. Fun car. I have my heart set on a Ferrari and there are so many here in Switzerland. So, I will likely send the car back to the US after a year to sell at auction. We'll see if the market views it as an L-88 or a clone. I'd rather be definitive, but I've seen nothing that makes me doubt that it is an L-88 other than it seems so crazy if it is.

Mako1969 said:
Sorry to say, but it sounds like a fake. A true 1968 L88 convertible that looks "five years old" with low miles should command much more than $31k. Without a complete tank sticker (seen some that conveniently only have engine info and little else) and/or other documentation, it is impossible to verify the originality of the car.

That said, one would be hard pressed to build an L88 clone for $31k. If you like it that much, then buy it, but keep in mind unless their is documentation, it will never be more than a 1968 Corvette with an L88 motor.

astrolake said:
Well, I bought the car. So far, it checks out, though I certainly wish that
I had the tank sticker. It has all the right options, the stamps on the engine and transmission look good, not like restamps. Fun car. I have my heart set on a Ferrari and there are so many here in Switzerland. So, I will likely send the car back to the US after a year to sell at auction. We'll see if the market views it as an L-88 or a clone. I'd rather be definitive, but I've seen nothing that makes me doubt that it is an L-88 other than it seems so crazy if it is.

Astro,

Is there a trim plate on the vehicle? If so, is that how you can verify that is was green at one time?

I believe that in the older Vettes there was another location where a build-sheet was on occassions attached. Was it behind the dash? Can anyone else verify this for me?

GerryLP:cool

Some have been found stuffed up inbetween the tach and speedo, and occasionally they're found stuffed into the left side of the rear camber strut bracket on the bottom of the diff. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom