Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Looking for advice on 6K mile '04 checkup

GEH737

Corvette
2004 Blue Convertible
Hi guys -

I know I don't post much here - but it's the first place I thought of with this question.

I've got a 2004 CE Convertible w/ 6 speed. I bought it new, and it has 6,000 miles on it now. I've only had it in the shop once - and that was the 3,000 mile oil change at Jim Rathman Chevrolet in Florida (where I bought it new).

There never has been a problem with the car (and there isn't any now). But... It's five years old and I was wondering what you think I should have them check / replace or inspect besides the oil change itself. I'm going to be having this done in Newnan, GA at the local Chevy dealer - but I'm a little concerned since they don't have a dedicated 'Vette mechanic like they did at Rathman in Florida. That's why I'd like to tell them what I want, rather than leave it up to them.

The only other thing I'm considering is replacing the battery with an Optima (or should I just wait till this one gives me problems - which it hasn't).

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

George

I have a 2000 with (now) 11000 miles. I got it in december with 9200 miles.So I have the same thoughts. Yours is 4 years newer and you have a better advantage over mine.

Here goes:

1. Battery - you can get 5 to 7 years service especially in your warmer climate. I would not risk changing it until it gets weak/fails. you may have a couple of more good years.
Often changing it creates a lot of grief. (sometimes) you have to reprogram your fob, tire monitors - sometimes not. Since you dont need a battery now do some research on brands. Some of the supposedly good ones are not.
2. Fluids - There are those who would have changed all fluids many times by now. LOL.
Some suggest that you change the coolant after 5 years, but there are tests that can tell the quality. Be careful which replacement you use. It requires a special coolant. It is amazing how expensive a simple change can be. You can go quite some time even now.

However the only fluid you should have been keeping up with is the oil. Your oil seems to be almost 3 years old?? For some reason everyone suggests a change every year at low mileage. I always assumed that the Mobil-1 would last really long. Even Mobil recommends a change often. (of course they are making money). Something about acid buildup/oxidation/etc. The oil minder does not factor in age so if it says 89% good, it is meaningless at low mileage.
BTW I use Shell V-?? premium gas. I am a sucker for the engine cleaner ads.

So change the oil and enjoy the sunshine.

Let's consider low mileage cars that are not driven often, or far.

When you start your engine up and don't run it long the condensation inside the engine (from the cool down period from the previous 'run') will not evaporate.

This, among other things, is one of the components of oil contamination. Engine blow by also contaminates oil. Even though your engine is still tight it will have some blow by (compression leaking past the rings)

Remember that oil is not just a lubricant, it is also a coolant.

Change it at LEAST yearly. At least. Oil is cheap.

Jannow?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom