Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Looking for advice on Headers and Side Pipes

joli

Corvette
1982 Bright Shiny White
I have a 82 with a 350, it has crossfire injection, the engine has 105,000 miles on it, it goes through very little oil, everything on it is stock and original. I love the look of side exhaust pipes and am intrigued with the thought of installing headers, however do not know much about them other than what I've read here from other posts. So if you don't mind I'd like to throw a few questions out there to get your opinions.
  1. In terms of get up and go will headers improve on what I've got?
  2. When buying headers are there certain attributes that I should keep in mind, I see there are steel ones, chrome ones, ceramic coated ones, etc...
  3. Is there a benefit to buying side pipes through a Chevy dealer in terms of having to make modifications to make them fit correctly? I would think that if they came from a Chevy dealer that the fit would be right on?
  4. If I do install the headers and side pipes are there any engine modifications that I need to take into consideration that will have to be addressed?
  5. Can a novice who knows a little bit about cars in your opinion install them? I like to do as much as I can to the car as I really enjoy working on it but do not want to get way over my head.
Any advice that you can throw my way will be greatly appreciated, and Thank you

...Any advice that you can throw my way will be greatly appreciated...

FWIW: the stock 81-82 exhaust manifolds are very nearly tube headers and are some of the best and most efficient GM ever designed for the small block. The stock set up will pass emissions testing if you need to be concerned with testing in your state.

Going to aftermarket headers won't provide much performance benefit unless you also swap to dual exhaust or side pipes at the same time.

:)

Be careful when lumping all sidepipes in one basket- many are all show and very little go. Some will cost you HP and you're worse off than when you started!

Going to a (likely) freer flowing exhaust will cost him some low-end torque, will it not? That would be counter-productive to wanting more "get up & go".

I don't know what's all involved with the emissions on the '82, but there should be aftermarket headers available that are setup specifically for the '82 requirements. Buying them, if you can get them from a dealership, is not necessary. Any reseller will do ya fine, such as Summit Racing. For longevity (and supposedly cooling), the ceramic coating is the way to go. And that being the case, I'd check with Jet-Hot and their Sterling finish. Supposedly better than standard ceramic and, last I checked, their Sterling finish was cheaper than what Summit was selling the same headers with the ceramic coating.

Not all headers are the same. Multiple brands might be "bolt up", but possibly not fit 100%. I had that problem with my car. The same headers that worked on one person's 1980 didn't work on mine. ;shrug So I went with another brand and they fit better. You might have to go through more than one to find the proper fitment. And even then when you find something that 'fits', you may need to whack it a little, put a little dent in 'em to make sure they clear whatever, such as a header bolt. It's not all that uncommon.

Can it be done by just one person? Probably. But just consider it a two-man job.

When putting 'em on, I think the general consensus is to use the metallic-fiber gaskets and Stage-8 locking header bolts. For the uninitiated, replacing the headers shouldn't take more than a weekend afternoon.

I have a 82 with a 350, it has crossfire injection, the engine has 105,000 miles on it, it goes through very little oil, everything on it is stock and original. I love the look of side exhaust pipes and am intrigued with the thought of installing headers, however do not know much about them other than what I've read here from other posts. So if you don't mind I'd like to throw a few questions out there to get your opinions.

In terms of get up and go will headers improve on what I've got?
There will be an improvement, but given a stock engine, probably 10-hp
When buying headers are there certain attributes that I should keep in mind, I see there are steel ones, chrome ones, ceramic coated ones, etc...
All headers are either mild steel or stainless steel. I'd avoid chrome plating but cermaic-coated is a good thing.
Is there a benefit to buying side pipes through a Chevy dealer in terms of having to make modifications to make them fit correctly? I would think that if they came from a Chevy dealer that the fit would be right on?
No. In fact, I'd avoid a dealer unless you know they have experience with a modified C3. Look for an independent Corvette service shop.
If I do install the headers and side pipes are there any engine modifications that I need to take into consideration that will have to be addressed?
Yes. You may need to rejet your carburetor to work best with the lower restriction.
Can a novice who knows a little bit about cars in your opinion install them? I like to do as much as I can to the car as I really enjoy working on it but do not want to get way over my head.
Conditional "Yes." You'll need the right tools and know going in that for a beginning DIY, it will be a difficult and time consuming job.

I glad to know that, thank you

With the crossfore you'll need to get O2 sensor bungs welded in too. The ECM will take care of most of the adjustments that will be needed.

Definitely go w/ the ceramic coated cuz Jet Hot warranties them if they are new and they will reduce the underhood temp a lot. Chrome will turn blue from the heat and if a daily driver and driven in the rain, they'll rust eventually.

side pipes

I have a 79 with aftermarket sidepipes and cats. If you don't mind the noise they are fun, at 100 the whole world can hear you. Thinking about going with duals out the back ( straight ) no cats as in Md it nee4ds no emissions test with Historic tags on it.:)

thanks for all of the good advice, appreciate the feedback, some very good stuff to consider

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom