Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for seats for 78 Shark

S

shark78

Okay I have checked all over the web to find some "cost effective" replacement seats for my 78 S/A driver. I'm not looking to spend $$$$$$$ for a show car effect, just some nice comfortable seating.

Question...can I use seats from other cars without MAJOR modifications??? Does anyone know of a third party that sells replacement seats for Corvettes?

Thanks....I just want to look at all options before I spend a small fortune on foam,covers, hog rings etc......

Seats, this is a hot topic from time to time.

Here is what you are up against. The width of the seat is critical for the C3. You don't have much to work with. I have seen C4 seats in a C3 and they look great.

That would be my first suggestion for you. You can pick up C4 seats pretty reasonable here and there. You can buy ready made covers at all of the major Corvette companies. You are still going to have a healthy investment before all is said and done.

There are a couple of different memebers here with a variety of seats. It all depends on what you are after.

I am shooting for the Corbeau A4 seats. They will work in conjunction with a four point harness, tilt, and have available direct fit seat tracks. However, they are about $360 a seat in cloth. Leather is about $700 per. So, again, big bucks.

Good luck. Please post some pics when you get it all figured out and installed.

I bought Sparco sprint seats for $190 a peice. They don't tilt but they do slide back and forth. They do sell a bracket to enable the seats to tilt. They are FIA approved and are the largest selling competition seat made. Not alot of padding but a lot of support.

Be very careful of the seat dimensions as compared to your body and the Vettes narrow dimensions.

Racer78 said:
Chris,

Are the C4 seats a bolt in deal? Or do you have to drill new mounting holes?

Thanks

Keith

Keith,

I really don't know for sure. It has been expored here before. I do know that the bottom of the C4 seat is flat and it should not be difficult to adapt the C3 tracks.

Shark78

Seats are always a hot topic. I myself have an 81 (same style seats as your 78) which needed replacing.
I also didn't want to spend big bucks.

It sounds as if your trying to upgrade to an 84 sport seat, question here , cosmetic or fuction?

There are other options for your seats you have now,
If you "STEAM" the foam, it should bounce back to like new condidtion, then replace those covers only.

I got a set of imit. leather (1/3 price of leather) from a place in Tampa, FL. WWW.ANTHONYSUPHOLSTERY.COM

The seat covers also came with free embroidery cross flags on the head rest. I then had a local shop mount them.

All this for less than $200.00, and the look great. :J

Seats

Keith,

Unfortantly I don't. I haven't sprung for a digital camera yet.
What can I say....I'm cheap

Keith

I've seen those camera also, problem is they don't sell them at
Corvette Central, Mid-Amercia or Ecklers. :L :L :L

Maybe I'll have Santa bring me one :grinsanta

94 Seats in a 68......no width problem

I HAVE A SET OF BEIGE COLORED CLOTH (CORDUROY TEXTURE)SEATS in great condition ( no stains or tears). These seats do not include the frame, but are the cushion and fabric. I purchased a 81 Vette that had these seats, they were not the correct seats, ie. fit. I purchased a set that fitted my vette. Now I have the other seats sitting in the garage. Willing to let for a reasonable price..I have no use for them.

Rufus

Speaking of seats, I am getting very close to the final decision. I thought I was set on going with the Corbeau A4 models. However, the boss of the house, or I mean Mrs. 69MyWay doth protest too much. She is afraid that the racing aggressive style of the A4 will be too stiff and leave much to be desired on longer trips.

I really don't think so, plus the A4 has provisions for the four point harness to drop right through the back area and stay in place.

Anyway, she has me thinking and looking. Believe it or not, I do try to get her opinion and input on virtually everything I do. I also know if we are going somewhere and her butt aint happy, then I aint happy.

I like the idea of using 78-82 style seats. Rufus, tell me more about what you have and for how much.

I found an 82 c/e that only appears to have the seat frames and buckets, but no cushions etc.

They will have to be black, and I am actually leaning to cloth to avoid the extreme contact butt temperature after an all black car has been sitting in the sun with the top down and I hop in with a pair of shorts on.

Shades,
Did those '94 seats bolt into the existing seat holes, or did you have to modify?

Hijinx the car came with these seats & they were, if you can believe this screwed into the floor thru the seat edge. Needless to say they were not safe. The previous owner did not like the higher seat position & removed & discarded the rails:(

I have since replaced with black leather seats out of an 80 vette. The front rail holes went into the factory bolt holes but the back did not so I had to fabricate a plate to make the back bolt holes work.

If you go into my website (in my profile)& click on photo alblums you can see the new seats as well as additional pics of Black Thunder!

Anybody want Red 94 seats (no rails) cheap, let me know!

Chris it sounds like the seats Rufus has recovered in black upholstery at the tampa shop would be the ticket. I really like my 80 seats alot & was happy to find some. They could mabey embroider a cool thing for ya in the tops.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom