Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Looking for some "close up" pics of what original seat belts look like in 68 Corvette -- anyone?

68BigBlock

Corvette
1968 Corvette Coupe- 427/390
Particularly side of the seats closest to the door -- both driver and passenger side. Recently had mine redone by Snake Oyl and they came back with a retractor and a large "boot" approx. 12" long. Original belts were in the car but in such deteriorated condition I removed them years ago and stored them for the labels.

Did 68 Corvettes come with a retractable lap belt? I have an early edition/ April build car.

...Did 68 Corvettes come with a retractable lap belt?...

No.

Not the best pic:
68belts.jpg

I have an early edition/ April build car...

Depending on the specific running change, April is not necessarily "early". My 68 has a time/build date of I20.

:thumb

Image google 1968 corvette seat belts. There are a number of pics, views and colors.

My 68 coupe H27 has the retractable seat belts, that you speak of.

My coupe has them. I bought the car when it was 4 years old and owned by two girls, 22,000 miles. The under seat retractor is in a black case about 10-12" long. The carpeting has a slit cut in it near the door for the belt to come out. There was a long, rubber "grommet" that the belt end came out through. No one makes them. They were carpet colored. The coup shoulder harness does not retract, and is very confining. I have never used mine in the 40 years that I have had mine, because of this. The shoulder harness buckels stored in a twin holder screwed to the center of the bird cage plate, behind the seats. Hope this helps you out, Lou.

My coupe has them. I bought the car when it was 4 years old and owned by two girls, 22,000 miles. The under seat retractor is in a black case about 10-12" long. The carpeting has a slit cut in it near the door for the belt to come out. There was a long, rubber "grommet" that the belt end came out through. No one makes them. They were carpet colored. The coup shoulder harness does not retract, and is very confining. I have never used mine in the 40 years that I have had mine, because of this. The shoulder harness buckels stored in a twin holder screwed to the center of the bird cage plate, behind the seats. Hope this helps you out, Lou.

Hello - would it be possible, assuming you still have this car, to take some photos of the seat belt set up you describe above starting with the "long rubber grommet location" and the other items less what's under the seat? Thanks... Brian (Direct Email: Brian_Freeman@irco.com)

Brian, I still have the car.

However, it is a driver and I have over 113,000 miles on it. I have owned it since July,1972. The rubber grommets disintegrated when I tried to remove them, about 30 years ago, when I changed my carpeting, for the first time. It has come to my attention, that the early 68's had retractable lap belts. Shortly after my March 27th car was made, they made them non-retracting. I was guessing in my earlier post about the length of the under seat retractor. It is only about eight inches long and not ten to twelve inches. The 68 buckles have a chrome plated body with the top part being brushed stainless steel. the push button is black plastic with GM mark of excellence on it. I have heard that they are reproducing the 69 carpet grommet, but I have no idea what the difference is between the two. I will add that the shoulder harness cover and the two buckle shoulder harness holder on my car are red plastic to match the red interior. They are not black painted red. I hope that this helps you. I am not good at attempting to post pictures. Lou.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom