Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for Tranny shop in Phoenix (east side)

elkabong

Corvette
1984 Red Coupe.
I have recently become the proud owner of a Transgo shift kit for my 84. I am competent with a wrench but I have not futz with an automatic tranny before. So, just to make sure it is right I am looking for a good Tranny shop in the Phoenix Area preferably the east side - Chandler, Tempe, Mesa. Any recommendations or is this realy easy and if my son and I crawl on our backs we can do this ourselves?

Elkabong,

I don't have an answer for your question at the moment, but I will ask my Brother-in-Law if he knows of a place, when he gets home. I am sitting at his computer in Chandler right now. Came down from Minnesota to get some sun and golf. So, where is the sun and warm weather?

John

Transgo kit

What all is included with the Transgo kit? If it has a new plate then you will have to drop the valve body. If it just uses new servos then you won't. The valve body isn't that tough ... draw a sketch of how the TC solenoid is layed out and label each connection to switches ect. ... You'res may also have a bypass tube ... after you remove the retainer clips pull each end of the tube to get it out. You're tranny may use an Aux valve body, that would be the next to go. Then the bunch of bolts that hold the valve body to the tranny (my 90MY uses 15, some of were out with the harnesses/retainers). If you got this far do yourself a favor and get about three or four cans of brake parts cleaner and thoroughly clean both sides of the valve body. Check all valves for proper movement (its not that tough to disassemble and clean these either ... just lay it all out like it came apart). You willl get the best preformance from your tranny if these parts are clean.

If your kit uses servos you can ge to them from the side (pass). You will need some snap ring pliers (I use the ones with flat tips) push the servo in remove the snap ring ... pull the servo out till you can see the seal in one of the inspection grooves, with a angle pick, pull the seal out about 1/2" and cut it, then pull one of the cut ends ... (the servo should spin) ... now pull the servo assy. out. Dissassembly is much the same (mine one E-clip and the whole assy. shaft, valves, springs, ect. comes apart).

Of course I am assuming that the kit would come with all necessary seals gaskets ect.

Good Luck!

:pat
:CAC

Sorry, my Brother-in-law didn't have any good leads for a shop in the area. I think there are a couple places around that specialize in Corvette sales. One of them may be able to provide a lead. Good luck.

John

You might try Ken at the Vette Shop in Tempe (University & McClintock).
480-945-9030.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom