Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking to buy 1995 Corvette in fair shape - looking at some advice

rick9141965

Looking to buy a 1995 C4 with 117k on it.. Seems to run and shift ok / good.. But it has seen some better days.. Looking to get some advice whether to buy it or pass on it.. It defently needs all 4 new tires.. That being said, the test drive I took the car on the front end had a whole lot of shake so much so I didn't go over 40mph and didn't buy it that day because of the shake and the fact of driving 50 miles home on the highway... The car has been sitting for some time in a garage and it was kind of cold out that day 35 degrees or so.. Can bad tires make a car shake that bad? Other things it needs a front windshield, all the weather stripping, targa top rattles like a MF !! Not to mention the clear targa top is scratched (clear top) to say the least and should be replaced. The paint is so so has some scrathes and then some.. I'd give the paint job a 4 out of 10 The body itself doesnt seem bad except for 1 part on the hood on driver side front fender towards the windshield has about 2 inches of cracked fiber glass.. Interior was ok shape except for the 2 seats leather worn and ripped.. The steering column has a little play to the left maybe 1/4 inch or so. Check engine light popped on shortly after I drove it... I can pick this up for maybe 3k plus a couple hundred towing charge to get it home.... I'm fairly handy and don't mind working on things... Worth the headaches ? Just looking for your opinions.. Thanks in advance...

If you know some electrical or know someone that does the rest isn't that hard, and yes tires can cause shaking at low speeds!

If you buy it post some pics
A good shot of the engine compartment would allow one of us too see if had been altered or maybe something Is just in the wrong place

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If the car hadn't been moved in a few weeks and the tires are a soft compound they could have flat spots which could make it shake badly. Would have to get some heat in the tires to get them to smooth out, as much as 20 miles.Sounds like the car has been neglected and could be costly to get into good shape. What is the asking price on it. Tires alone would be at least $600 on the low side.

Important question...how much is he asking for the '95? In my opinion, I would keep looking no matter what the price!! You have already recognized multiple negative issues on this car. There are sure to be more that come up after you buy it.

There are thousands of C4's for sale. Keep looking!!!

Elaine

I agree with "look around". I know there are a lot of nice vettes out there around that year. I see them all the time. If the car was not taken care of and dogged then I would be very cautious. 3K is cheap but you get what you pay for. I just seen a 95 the other day, they wanted 10G for it but was a nice car, all original, no scratches just normal road wear. Most people that own these cars take care of them but some, not so much. Be patient, walk away like you did. Parts and paint can add up fast and still you have a car with 117K on it. Just my opinion.

Price sounds good. I did pretty much the same 4 months ago with a friends '95 Coupe that's sat for the last 4or 5 yrs of his 11 year ownership.
So many things to check out that will cost you, even more if you can not do most of the work yourself.
Just be sure to go over it with a fine toothcomb.
Instrument panel LCD brightness. Cruise control. Wiper operation. Signal lights . Antenna operation along with radio and speakers. Lights on Information display as Service engine soon or the like. Door panel fits, locks work with key and fob. Spare tire , jack and equipment to change a tire if needed. Compartment covers fit and operation. Lights operation and strange noises. Horns blow.
Just a short list , 90% of what I had to fix on mine at a total cost of about 1300 bucks doing 90% of the labor myself.
Bet, the next Corvette I buy, I'll be a heck of a lot smarter in my assessment of it. LOL Live and Learn.

Keep on looking

I agree with those vette owners who have opined that the negative issues far outweigh any positives associated with this vehicle. For what you would have to spend to make this vette road worthy you would be better off finding one that is in decent shape and doesn't require an arm and a leg to enjoy.
all the best with finding one. Oleschl

I agree with those vette owners who have opined that the negative issues far outweigh any positives associated with this vehicle. For what you would have to spend to make this vette road worthy you would be better off finding one that is in decent shape and doesn't require an arm and a leg to enjoy.
all the best with finding one. Oleschl

I agree!

I bought my 1990 that sat for around 4 years. GREAT condition...so I thought. 38K miles, beautiful paint, great interior, no shakes or crazy vibrations but still has cost me 7000 dollars in first year in parts (clutch, emission controls, tires, complete fluid change out, diagnostic work, electrical, and new suspension). I LOVE my vette! It's like unwrapping a christmas gift every time I remove the car cover, but I wish I would have spent a little more time shopping and educating myself before jumping in. For as much as I have invested I could have had a ZR-1. Take your time...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom