Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking to buy my 1st

peterd

Corvette
2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy my 1st Corvette - figured fall/early winter would be good times to find a deal in the upstate New York area. Bacisally would like a nice toy to drive on w/e's and look for some increase in value down the road. I've been looking at C4's (1993) but i'm wondering if i'd be better going up to a 1997 C5. Any investment benifits on 1st or last year body styles ????. How about convertables ?? any additional road noise associated w/ them. C4's seem to get a much better look w/ them. Anybody have any luck on e-bay w/ vettes ???

Any and all help would be appreciated. This seems like a great site

The general rule of thumb is buy the newest one you can afford. None of them will increase in value by the time you're ready to sell, and if by some miracle you sell it for more than what you bought it for, any money you make will have been eaten up by what you spent on maintenance, repairs, and insurance. A corvette, like most other cars, is a terrible investment, though it is a thing of great beauty. I love ebay, I visit it every day, but I would never buy a car off ebay, for one thing a car's condition is so subjective. What may seem like a tiny scratch to the seller may actually be a gouge into the fiberglass. What ebay seller will spend the cash to do an oil analysis or a full diagnostic prior to selling, very few if any. Personally, I would only bid on a car if I could personally inspect it, but that's just me. I must respectfully disagree that there is a "season" for the corvette market, as a $10,000 car will still be a $10,000 car whether it's sunny or rainy. I can't imagine a seller dropping the price just because it's cloudy and cold.

There are many theories to buying a corvette. I tend to believe you need to buy the best car you can find, whether it is cheaper then another car. Yes I do agree somewhat to buying newer, but that is not true in every case. Biggest thing would to be patient, and wait for the right one. Many have said that the first year for a new model will have the most problems. Dont necessarily know if this is true. The C4 will start appreciating sooner then the C5 just because of age, especially the 86 verts, 88 35th anniversary, ZR-1's, 40th anniversary, and the collectors edition and Grand Sports. Read that in a magazine not to long back.

Good luck with your purchase.

Welcome to the :CAC...........as for the C-4.....well I sold mine to buy a C-3. I just like the body style better. Good Luck on your search..:)

Pete

first off what do you like?? C4 body style, C5 body style? hard top or rag top? how much you want to spend? if, i mean if i had $15K or more i would rather have a really nice late style C4 over a C5, i just like it better. and i would try for a ZR-1 or and 35th or 40th ann and even GS if your looking for re-sale value. but there ALL great to drive.
other night a little local car show i saw a really sweet 40th silver ann. and it was in the middle of 2 C5 and i liked it alot more!!

Pete,

Drive both cars first to see what you like better. The C4 has the fighter jet feel to it both driving and sitting in it. The C5 feels more civilized as a boulevard cruiser. I love my 88 all around..especially climbing in it..It feels as though you wear the car!!! Try both and see what you prefer. Also the C4 made many changes from 84-96. Although the style looks the same, drivetrain and suspension changes were constant. A 96 with the lt4 is totally different than my 88. Good luck in your findings and keep us posted!!!

Anthony

MRANT212 said:
Pete,

Drive both cars first to see what you like better. The C4 has the fighter jet feel to it both driving and sitting in it. The C5 feels more civilized as a boulevard cruiser. I love my 88 all around..especially climbing in it..It feels as though you wear the car!!! Try both and see what you prefer. Also the C4 made many changes from 84-96. Although the style looks the same, drivetrain and suspension changes were constant. A 96 with the lt4 is totally different than my 88. Good luck in your findings and keep us posted!!!

Anthony

I agree. While I like the C5, and the C6 for that matter (and hope to add to my fleet some day), the C5 did not give me that "Corvette" experience. Not like I get from the C4 or the C3. The C3 is what a corvette was for me growing up as a kid. So that is what I had to have.

My advice, get the car you want, not what everyone else says you should or shouldn't get. Get the car you'll love; The one you can't stop looking at; The one you run out to the garage the next morning to make sure you didn't just dream about it. That's what it's all about man! Not making an investment.

Good luck:)

As it has been stated, drive several . . .

I've owned a C4 & C5, they are Great Corvettes!

The C4 LT4 was a smaller/tighter package with a fighter feel, the C5 is more refined and a real driver. Both had 6 Speeds and Z51 performance suspensions.

Enjoy the hunt and keep us updated on the 1 you get!

BTW - Welcome to the :CAC

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Your best quality will be with the late C-4 's. Take your time they made thousands.VETTBOY86 said buy the best you can afford and he's right on mark, Good luck and welcome.

Hi:

I saw your post and thought I would get my two cents in also. First of all the selection is a very personal thing whether its a C4 or a C5, I agree you should drive both and see which you prefer. You had mentioned a '93 C4, a good selection and my favorite C4 grouping (92-96). As far as when to buy, it is my opinion and experience (35 years of buying and selling) that you will generally get a better buy in the winter up North, in the South it is irrelevant. As far as drop top versus coupe, again a personal preference, however the vert is a more desireable car regardless of year.

As far as appreciation is concerned, generally Corvettes go through a depreciation-appreciation curve and low mileage, babied vettes will always bring more dollars. Generally when the car is new through the first 10 to 15 years they depreciate like stones, unless they are driven very little and the mileage is extremely low. Once you hit around the 20-25 year mark they start to appreciate; as we are seeing on the low mileage 1980-82 C3's, which are selling at or more that they stickered for when new, again if they have under 10,000 miles on them.

I would say the critical thing you need to decide is are you going to drive it or show it? If you drive it forget about it reataining value and just enjoy the ride! If you want a garage baby, then anything you buy will retain its value, but it will take at least another 10-15 years for the C4's to begin to appreciate and longer for the C5's. Confusing enough for you? Welcome to the forum.

I must respectfully disagree that there is a "season" for the corvette market, as a $10,000 car will still be a $10,000 car whether it's sunny or rainy. I can't imagine a seller dropping the price just because it's cloudy and cold.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comments all good, especially the e-bay one.

As far as the "season", at least in the Upstate (Saratoga) NY region Corvettes are put to bed for the season around early November (if we're lucky) and don't awake until April because of our lousy thing called winter (U have no idea how lucky you are in Hawaii) Anyway people/dealers usually discount vettes rather than holding them over the season until the next selling season. I know body guys who specifically buy Corvettes at auctions in January (if thier lucky enough to find any) and fix & hold until spring. Kinda like the investment saying "buying straw hats in winter".

Hopefully i have that kinda luck.

thats a great outlook.

I notice u have a 6 speed, any thoughts on Auto vs. Manual on resale ????? Always thought a Corvette or any sports car should be a standard, but w/ todays lifestyle- cell phone, coffee and other distractions I been reconsidering that.

tyrel said:
I love ebay, I visit it every day, but I would never buy a car off ebay, for one thing a car's condition is so subjective. What may seem like a tiny scratch to the seller may actually be a gouge into the fiberglass. What ebay seller will spend the cash to do an oil analysis or a full diagnostic prior to selling, very few if any. Personally, I would only bid on a car if I could personally inspect it, but that's just me.

I know what u mean but this one (Item number: 4576066678) was/is very nice. Like every thing else "location, location, location........

Any idea where u can find out how many convertibles were made in a given year and in a specific color ??????

Thanks again replys have been great

Great analogy

MRANT212 said:
Pete,

Anthony

Love the "Fighter jet" analogy - very true.

How much harder or harsher is the ride of a C4 vs. C5 ?????

peterd said:
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy my 1st Corvette - figured fall/early winter would be good times to find a deal in the upstate New York area. Bacisally would like a nice toy to drive on w/e's and look for some increase in value down the road. I've been looking at C4's (1993) but i'm wondering if i'd be better going up to a 1997 C5. Any investment benifits on 1st or last year body styles ????. How about convertables ?? any additional road noise associated w/ them. C4's seem to get a much better look w/ them. Anybody have any luck on e-bay w/ vettes ???

Any and all help would be appreciated. This seems like a great site

Welcome to the :CAC !!!! First, and I'm not kidding--make a list.
Year? '84-'96.
Color
Hardtop, coupe, convertible
LT1-300hp, LT4-330hp, LT5-375 to 405hp
Auto, manual
Options? Too many to list.
Collectible: limited ext. color productions, Grand Sport, Collector's Edition, 35th Anny White coupe, 40th Anny Ruby Red, CallawayTwin Turbo or Speedster, Indy Pace Car..., lotta choices--all good!!!
Good luck in which ever you choose. :w

I like the fighter jet analogy too...:D .I have been thinking of selling my 92 to buy a C5 or C6 but I haven't done it yet.
It all depends on what your budget allows and most importantly which look you prefer.
I must admit the C5 is a smoother ride but the only reason I would trade up would be the luggage room in the C5 or C6.I don't drive my 92 enough to "feel the rough ride" but when making a long trip I do miss the extra trunk.
I personally wouldn't buy from ebay because I have to see and touch it before but there have been some good stories about some buyers being well satisfied.

Whichever you choose make sure your teeth are well taken care of before 'cause everyone is gonna notice you smiling when driving your vette.:w

i agree with the ebay, i would only get one off ebay if it was close enough to me to test drive it!! like any older car you can have alot of thing people have hidden over the years or done wrong.

personnal i like the later C4's with the new interior, new bummers, and atleast the LT1 engines... i would take a silver ann LT4 over a C5 any day of the week!!

Hi and welcome. Where are you in NY?

As for the C4/C5 questions. I just sold a 97 and bought my '84 C4 back. The fighter analogy is probably an excellent description. When I had the C5 it just felt to me like I was driving a high performance Buick as opposed to a sports car. To each their own and it just comes down to personal preferances.

As for planning on making money on it? I wouldn't even consider it. Buy what you like.

Steve Calvin said:
Hi and welcome. Where are you in NY?

As for the C4/C5 questions. I just sold a 97 and bought my '84 C4 back. The fighter analogy is probably an excellent description. When I had the C5 it just felt to me like I was driving a high performance Buick as opposed to a sports car. To each their own and it just comes down to personal preferances.

As for planning on making money on it? I wouldn't even consider it. Buy what you like.
I'm in the Saratoga area. Surprised to hear u sold a C5 for a C4- says a lot about that. Rode in a friends C5 (2004) and got that 'Buick" feeling also once u get past the looks.
I'm sure u've heard of Marcel's Corvette shop in Mechanicville ??

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom