Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking to go beyond 502c.i. with short deck

Dart Big M block
4.25 to 4.5 bore for easier use with long 4.375-4.5 strokes

the 9.80 -10.2 is deck height measured from the centerline of the crankshaft to the deck surface(what the head bolts to) the engine not only is taller but also becomes wider.
I always say that with a cutting torch and a mig welder you can make any thing work, but at this stage of the game (painted) its a little too late for that :L
Build the biggest that will fit and build it to make torque with the suspension you have it should hook up and get the jump on anything out there :cool

Tom Bryant said:
Lets think about this. We are only talking about 4/10 of an inch here. I know that can cause problems in areas that are already tight like the ones listed above but why not consider another solution that would require only a little fabrication?

Options:

1) Cut and reweld the frame motor mount brackets to lower the engine 4/10 inch.

2) If the pan is then too close to the crossmember dimple the pan for clearance (all it has to do in not touch).

3) If the pan can't be dimpled due to the long arm of the stroker crank dimple the crossmember or remove an oval piece of the crossmember where the pan touches. Then form a dished piece of steel to clear the pan and weld it in place.

4) Check your u-joint angles. Adjust your trans mount up or down to restore proper angle if necessary. May require shims or slightly modifying the mount pad.

Problem solved

Tom

Sure, but will it still qualify for NCRS Top Flight? I don't think so. :D

Hvn,
I hate to point out the obvious, but the ship sailed a long time ago on the Top Flight thing! :L :L :L
Regards, John McGraw

67HVN - Come on man...you put a very exotic suspension in it, exotic body panels and tons of body/paint work for the widest wheel/tire combo known to man on a midyear. You need to "Swing for the fences" with the motor and go with a twin turbo charger setup. Ya' just gotta do something more with the motor than you are planning. With the twin turbo's, that thing would never stop pressing you into the seat !

Chainshot said:
67HVN - Come on man...you put a very exotic suspension in it, exotic body panels and tons of body/paint work for the widest wheel/tire combo known to man on a midyear. You need to "Swing for the fences" with the motor and go with a twin turbo charger setup. Ya' just gotta do something more with the motor than you are planning. With the twin turbo's, that thing would never stop pressing you into the seat !

Easy there big guy. That's my wallet you're foolin' with. ;LOL

Bob,
There is a compact power brake booster that uses dual 7" diaphrams. This is the only unit that will fit in my 59 to supply them big disks! I will send a pic of it over to you when I get home.
Regards, John McGraw

67 lets go man who cares about all those requirements and originality, we are talking 502 here i say you just drop that puppy in throw a supercharger on it kill some mustangs etc and call it a day!

Keep Up The Good Work!
-Andy

Bob,
I am not sure on that. For some reason, I think that Rich told me that he used a single diaphram unit. The dual diaphram unit is the only to get back close to the power supplied by the large diameter unit. I also went from a 1" diameter piston on the master cylinder to a 7/8" unit. This gave a little more mechanical advantage to the system. You can find these 7 and 8 inch boosters in almost any of the street rod publications. If you think your space is tight, you should see what a tight fit a big block is in a 32 Ford!
Regards, John McGraw

67HEAVEN said:
Thanks, John. I wonder if that is the unit that Rich Lagasse is using on his '67?

Hey, I thought I felt my ears burning..... You guys talking about me? :L

The unit I am using in the 67 is a single diaphram but it is of a deeper design than the standard unit. That was what I came up with five years ago to get the clearance needed for the big block and it works fine. But, if I were to do it again, I would use the dual diaphram now available. That was the one in the link I had sent you a week or so ago. Sometimes if you wait long enough someone will come up with a solution. I sure wish the dual unit had been available when I did mine. :Steer

Have fun with the rest of the project.

Rich

Someone posted the link to this engine builder and after seeing this I am certain this is the engine that must go in 67Heaven's car.

If you remember, You started it! Beside, if you do it first I can maybe convince my wife that it is necessary (LOL).

Only the best regards,
Gerry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom