Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looks like the ZR1 may have some formidable competition now

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
There's GM horsepower, then there is Ford horsepower. They aren't always the same thing. Then there is the ability to put it to the ground, also a Mustang issue.:chuckle

What's the weight. The problem with the mustang has always been putting it on a diet. Head to head against a Vette they will always have that 400/500 lb. fat man in the right seat.

Confirmed: 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Rated at 662 hp, 631 lb-ft!

Confirmed: 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Rated at 662 hp, 631 lb-ft!

Shelby..."formidable competition" for the ZR-1?!
;LOL

What the heck are you smoking, Rob?

Tell f&$king Shelby to bring that 662-hp Mustang to the Nurburgring. It'll need to do a 7:19 and change before it's "competition" for the ZR-1. Oh, yeah, tell ole Carroll he needs to bring God and Jesus with him because he'll need help from both to get that Mustang to better a 7:19.

I was on a trip a couple of months ago. I rented a Mustang Convert - more squeaks and rattles from all the plastic than you can imagine. :ugh
I rented a Mustang about 2 years ago and the same squeaks. Maybe the engine roar on the Shelby will cover the noise.

The Rustang is competition for the ZL1 but not the ZR1.

Ford will not even attempt to enter the ALMS GT series against the Vette, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus, etc., with a Rustang. When they do that, maybe.....

The Rustang is competition for the ZL1 but not the ZR1.

Ford will not even attempt to enter the ALMS GT series against the Vette, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus, etc., with a Rustang. When they do that, maybe.....

Well....let's consider how we are define "competition". If we are talking about the power rating of the car's engine and if Shelby is using the same SAE test procedure as does GM with the Camaro's LSA V8, then, yeah, the 2013 Shelby GT500 is, indeed, a "competitor", but if we are defining "competitor" on the basis of real-world performance, and by that I mean accelerating, braking and handing, at this point, the Shelby is a "potential competitor" at best."

The current Camaro ZL1 Coupe has lapped the Nürburgring's Nordschleife at 7:41 and change.

Once the Shelby folks take that car over there and match that, then, and only then, does the GT 500 earn the title of "competitor". Until then, it's just another wet dream of a car company marketing department based on a power rating done on a dynamometer.

That said, the Mustang may have an advantage on paper in that it weighs less than the Camaro. The big question will be, if Ford decides to take the car to 'ring, whether or not the car's live rear axle will be a significant handicap. Also, whether or not the Ford can put all that power down might come in question. Lastly, it's one thing to make 662-hp on the dyno. It's another to be able to have the powertrain reliable for repeated laps around Nurburgring or other race track. It's yet another thing to have a torque curve the results in the kind of drivability you need on a track like the Nürburgring.

In the end, I'm trying to have an open mind, ie: the 662-hp Shelby could be a competitor to the ZL-1 but is it a competitor, now?
Not.

I must say I love my two corvettes, but I also love my 06 Roush Mustang. My neighbor has a new Camaro SS (neither of us is supercharged) His Camaro is a fat pig compared to the Stang! My car handles much better & I can eat that Camaro for lunch. I don't think you guys are giving the new Shelby enough credit.

i10fwy

Mustang.JPG

Who's faster?

Not sure who is faster, we do have a speed limit! But i'm quicker for sure :happyanim:

BTW - Trying to get Mama to let me trade it in on a new Shelby, SCRATCH THAT new Callaway GS Convert, yeah, thats better don't ya think
i10fwy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom