Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Loose hanging wires.....

Ahhhhhhhhh, so indeed it has nothing at all to do with a dwell angle, all you measure is how long, or which % of the time the solenoid is energized!

Could 't this be measured with an analogue voltmeter on DC setting? All you need to know is how long power is supplied to the coil, and if the full output would be 12 V=, the output @ 50% should then be 6V / Or what?
As you should see the dwell meter fluctuating somewhat, a Dig. meter would not be appropriate I would think.

Is there another workaround, as surely, who would have a dwell meter these days?
Mine has long since gone.......
Thanks,

Cor

...Anyone know the GM part number, or where I can find one of these things?...

Not all cars had them; your model year and engine may not have used it. Check your AIM. If you need it, it will be shown in the AIM and the old original part number will be listed.

:thumb

Ahhhhhhhhh, so indeed it has nothing at all to do with a dwell angle, all you measure is how long, or which % of the time the solenoid is energized!

Could 't this be measured with an analogue voltmeter on DC setting? All you need to know is how long power is supplied to the coil, and if the full output would be 12 V=, the output @ 50% should then be 6V / Or what?
As you should see the dwell meter fluctuating somewhat, a Dig. meter would not be appropriate I would think.

Is there another workaround, as surely, who would have a dwell meter these days?
Mine has long since gone.......
Thanks,

Cor

Almost right. At 50% you have in 1 seconde about 10x 0.05 sec @ 12v and 10x 0.05 sec @ 0v. Its either on or off, not any in between! Your voltmeter is to slow so see it and has no time indication, that's way you need a dwell meter and I saw somebody on this forum that connect his oscolliscoop to the carb and that is also very nice!

Greetings Peter

That's what I mean: because the analoge voltmeter will be too slow, it will read 6 Volt, when the square wave curve is at 50% on/off.
Or not?
Are dwell meters still for sale in general automotive stores?
And can you do without one?
Yeah, a 'scope will do nicely, but that piece of equipment I don't have either, unfortunately.

So the question now is, in short: how can one measure this piece of equiment, without a dwell meter?:confused

Cor

Well, 3 years later and I FINALLY got around to installing an Idle Stop Solenoid. Found one new on eBay for under $60. Man, was it a pain finding mountings screws... I lucked out and attached the wire and the plunger moves! But it appears that it doesn't move far enough forward to impact idle. Can someone confirm I turn the plunger with a wrench and it should extend? I turned it a few turns, but it still isn't raising the idle when A/C is on. Thanks.

-Tatortot

The solenoid doesn't actually increase the idle, it actually just doesn't let it return to normal.

So if the ac is active and the throttle is open the plunger is extended and when the throttle closes, it " rests on the solenoid".

It is adjusted by turning the bolt

Well, 3 years later and I FINALLY got around to installing an Idle Stop Solenoid. Found one new on eBay for under $60. Man, was it a pain finding mountings screws... I lucked out and attached the wire and the plunger moves! But it appears that it doesn't move far enough forward to impact idle. Can someone confirm I turn the plunger with a wrench and it should extend? I turned it a few turns, but it still isn't raising the idle when A/C is on. Thanks.

-Tatortot

Tator,

I am not sure if you are calling it,"idle stop", just to make it easy on yourself, but the 81 Vettes have an Idle Compensator Solenoid. Idle stops are normally a computer-controlled solenoid that the computer uses to adjust curb idle on some model cars (I believe early 80's Cadillacs had them).

but if you have an ICS, then to answer your question, yes, you turn the plunger head (which looks like a thick head of a 6-point bolt), counterclockwise to extend. Given the fine tuning needed, you'll have to rotate it several times to reach the carb.

By the way, with the wire disconnected (and secured away from moving parts) at the compressor, but with A-C on in the console, you adjust the idle speed for when the A-C is being utilized. Don't forget to reconnect the clutch wire after the adjustments.

Right-o fellas. I turned that hex nut (that is the head of the plunger) a couple of turns but it seemed a little stiff. Now that I think about it, it's probably designed that way so it doesn't vibrate back down again. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't twisting to its demise.

Yes Gerry, you are correct on your terminology, however, 'parts guys' call it an idle stop solenoid. That's what I had to search for to find the flippin' thing. This is the one I purchased. Hopefully you won't tell me I have the wrong one. It fits right and looks right, so..... The manual actually calls it a couple of different names, which I think we discussed a few years back. ;LOL

Clutch was disconnected, wheels chocked, e-brake engaged, and in gear, so I do believe I got the procedure correct, but the RPM's still dropped by 100. Not too bad, especially now that I have the idle up where it needs to be (that's a whole other thread :L), so no worries about operation, but I like things working as they should. A few more turns on the hex plunger and I'm sure it'll work fine. Thanks for the input!

-Tatortot

Last edited:
Yes that is the correct one! And also didn't know it was adjustable and mine also is to short when engaged. I'd be carful not to break it!

And the dwell meter you found is a good one.

Greetings Peter

Thanks Peter! Dwell meter should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get it hooked up soon and report results. Thanks again for all the help!

-Tatortot

Yes, the 100 rpm is what the compressor is taking away. The goal is to get the engine running as close as to the rpm is when clutch is disengaged. :)

The L81's are so sweet when they are running just fine. Very reliable. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom