Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

loose timing chain?

spikebot 81

Corvette
81 white, not stock
I did a compression check the other day and I noticed while rolling the crank it seems the dist rotor didnt move right away. By turning the crankshaft with a rachet one direction then the other I'm seeing 6 or 7 deg on the timeing marks before the rotor moves. Too much slack in the chain? What do you guys think?

A streched timing chain is possible.

But don't forget that the crank rotates 2 times for each revolution of the cam. So the distributor will look like it is not moving very much compared to how much you rotate the crank.

Are you having problems with the car?

Minifridge, No problems. A slight miss at idle that I cant seem to get rid of. I was just curious about what was acceptable.

If you see more than 3-4 degrees at the crank with no rotor movement, I'd suspect a worn timing chain.

:beer

If you see more than 3-4 degrees at the crank with no rotor movement, I'd suspect a worn timing chain.

:beer
Thanks JohnZ, The engine in this car is kind of a mystery motor. I've owned the car 1 year. PO supplyed reciepts showing rebuild engine installed 12,000 ago. C 10 truck motor. I havent confirm any internal components yet. But 3 or 4 degrees sounds alot better than 6 or 7.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom