Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lost all lights in dash panels

Tepot

Corvette
1974 Metalic Blue L-48 Coupe 4 speed
Hi,

for some reason i lost all lights in dash, meaning speedometer, tach, and all gauges, oil pressure, clock, battery indicator etc.. In my 1974 corvette stingray, anybody knows what it could be, it's strange that all of a sudden nothing and turning the light switch knob from side to side won't change anything either. Could this be the knob itself?

please help

Hi,

for some reason i lost all lights in dash, meaning speedometer, tach, and all gauges, oil pressure, clock, battery indicator etc.. In my 1974 corvette stingray, anybody knows what it could be, it's strange that all of a sudden nothing and turning the light switch knob from side to side won't change anything either. Could this be the knob itself?

please help

Check your fuses.

My '78 had that problem... it would blow out the fuse for the dash lights- and then the lights wouldn't come on.

Check your tail lights too. Most GM cars use the same fuse for the dash lights and tail lights. The dash lights going out is supposed to be a tell tale that you have no tail lights.

Tom

Problem fixed

Thanks guys, i had checked quickly last time but didn't see that small fuse was broken, found it now, just glad it's not an electrical issue, fuses are an easy fix .

anyways, problem is fixed. Thanks to all who responded.

Problem came back!

Thanks guys, i had checked quickly last time but didn't see that small fuse was broken, found it now, just glad it's not an electrical issue, fuses are an easy fix .

anyways, problem is fixed. Thanks to all who responded.

well i've changed the fuse and first drive it blew the fuse again, so now it will blow fuses every time i put a new one in, any idea on where i should start looking?

thanks in advanced

Unfortunately, you are going to have to start tracking down your problem.. do you have a assembly instruction manual or factory service manual??? they can help you track down the wires you need to check.. start on the rear where the tail lites are.look for broken wires that have moved from where they belong with possibly burnt marks on them.if you find nothing there you'll have to open up the dash and look in there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

well i've changed the fuse and first drive it blew the fuse again, so now it will blow fuses every time i put a new one in, any idea on where i should start looking?

thanks in advanced

A few years later, I ended up replacing the headlight switch itself.

I'd start with troubleshooting there and test it for a short, voltage spike, or etc. It is a rheostat and has a resistor- they do wear out.:thumb

A few years later, I ended up replacing the headlight switch itself.

I'd start with troubleshooting there and test it for a short, voltage spike, or etc. It is a rheostat and has a resistor- they do wear out.:thumb

This was my first guess, would you know how to remove the cluster panel? The darn stering wheel prevents me from removing it, do i have to take off my steering wheel column? Because if i do i might as well replace it with one that tilts.

This was my first guess, would you know how to remove the cluster panel? The darn stering wheel prevents me from removing it, do i have to take off my steering wheel column? Because if i do i might as well replace it with one that tilts.

I think you can take the switch out without removing the cluster. It is hard to get behind the dash- if you have small hands, all the better. What you'd have to do is to take the vent ducting down first. Then, push the release pin on the switch itself to remove the pull handle, on the bottom of the assembly behind the dash. Once the release is pushed in all the way, you can slide the push handle out. Next, unscrew the retaining nut on the switch face. Once you've gotten that far, you'll need to unhook the vacuum lines and the harness.

Bill81vette- did I leave anything out??

:thumb

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom