Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

lost key

Jim D

Corvette
1987 yellow vert
My friend has a 90 vette, and lost his keys. The locklsmith wants $400. to make a key with vats, another told him to get a new ign switch. The dealer doesn't seem to be able to help, any ideas, thanks Jim.

The dealer should be able to make a new key using the vin number.

Find another locksmith, I had a set of keys for my 91 made for $6.00:beer

another told him to get a new ign switch.
Won't help because the essential element of VATS is the resistance of the pellet on the key the computer looks for before it will allow
engine to start

Sorry, my above post dosn't apply. If you don't know the vat's number code, and i believe there are 12, sounds like he's kind of screwd.

Check corvetteforum.com,c4zr1 section, someone had a post about this and came up with a fix.:beer

If you don't know the vat's number code, and i believe there are 12, sounds like he's kind of screwd.
There are 15 codes for the C4 VATS system and every GM dealer should have a VATS Interrogator to find out the VATS code if needed,Corvette is not the only GM vehicle with VATS!~!!It just will take them a little time to Interrogate the system!~!!:thumb

There are 15 codes for the C4 VATS system and every GM dealer should have a VATS Interrogator to find out the VATS code if needed,Corvette is not the only GM vehicle with VATS!~!!It just will take them a little time to Interrogate the system!~!!:thumb

ANY key shop should have the interrogator....Caddy and Corvette were the 1st to have VATS, as it WAS a top shelf item for the top of the GM production line, but that has changed. VATS became an option for most GM products as the yrs went by.

I got my last ones read and copied at ACE hardware for $15 each.

In the old days it was trial & error to make a new ign key. But today the code is accessable thru records and the VIN and if a dealer claims they cant find it that way they just don;t want to....I have seen some parts counters with spoiled counter guys that are too lazy to look up the info. They think the world should have a new passkey system and older VATS are antiques.

I had one smartass tell me to come back that afternoon 'cause he had to go find what I needed on microfish film and that was in a box in the storeroom.......
My response..."why don't I just not come back at all" ? Unfortunately, that made his day.
Hate lazy parts guys.

Yea, found that out after I made that reply.:beer

My idea is you should call another car locksmith with reasonable rates.

Chicago Car Locksmith.
Looks like you got bit by the "old" outdated thread bug, pw... it seems it happens to us once in awhile; especially a NEW MEMBER, just checking out threads and trying to help. :thumb

No harm - no foul! ;)

Welcome to the :CAC
Hope you enjoy our little community!
:wJane Ann

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom