Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Loud flasher unit needed

Corvette
1988 convertible - pearl white
Has anybody successfully found a louder flasher unit than the stock (in my case, Wagner 323) item? In my C4 convertible on a number of occasions I have found that I am still indicating some time after negotiating a turn which is too shallow for the self-cancelling mechanism to activate. This obviously could be dangerous, as the flasher click is hardly audible as a means of warning. No 'loud' flasher unit seems to be available in the UK, so I sent for a Tridon flasher from Midway Auto Supply in Dallas, Texas, claimed to be 5 times louder than a standard unit. Result? Almost exactly the same as the Wagner. Can anybody help?

Wire in a beeper of some sort . Should be some on junk cars.

Glenn
:w

yep...a small annoying back-up alarm would certainly do it, or a more civilized sound might be from a head-lite or seat belt chime.

You can control volume by taping over part or all of the chime opening.

Glenn

In my C4 convertible on a number of occasions I have found that I am still indicating some time after negotiating a turn which is too shallow for the self-cancelling mechanism to activate.
I gotta ask...

And I apologize if this sounds like I am being a smart-a$$, but with all due respect, do the turn signal indicators on the instrument cluster work??

Personally, I think a visual indicator would be a lot more reliable than an auditory indicator, especially in a convertible. You will need something a lot louder than a relay behind the "hush panel" (it has that name for a reason!) to overcome the wind noise.

I'm just saying....

While I agree with Scott, if you really need one see if a flasher from a new Mustang will plug in. Mine sounds like someone is hitting the dash with a baseball bat. I don't know if it will transplant but the warning chime you want was standard on 96s for sure. Kinda funny, late 80s to early 90 Cadillacs have a chime that sounds all the time the T/Ss are on and just to make it more fun they chime with the hazzards too.

I seem to remember while living in Los Angles, that ...we always signaled AFTER a lane change with a finger..,..

Over there that was the universal signal that "I just moved over despite your best efforts to block me, jackass" ! :finger

advanced social interaction.

I seem to remember while living in Los Angles, that ...we always signaled AFTER a lane change with a finger..,..

Over there that was the universal signal that "I just moved over despite your best efforts to block me, jackass" ! :finger

advanced social interaction.

If you hadn't said where I would have thought you were talking about Sioux Falls S.D.:L

Glenn

LMAO!, South bay, thats a FACT!

I keep telling these Texas boys that they're just rednecks....LA is the wild west!

Thanks for all the suggestions and the humour guys - it's given me a few things to think about. Don't think I'll start using the finger though.

Scott, the indicators on the instrument panel do work, but they don't exactly grab the attention, although I take your point. What attracted me about the Tridon flasher was the claimed 'five times louder' - sadly not true.

Thanks for all the suggestions and the humour guys - it's given me a few things to think about. Don't think I'll start using the finger though.

Why not??? look at the upside, with each finger also comes 9 spares. :finger

and, somehow EVERYBODY will see the finger...:boogie

Good Luch with whatever you decide to do.

I relocated my turn signal flasher for just that reason. I moved it from behind the pass. side hush panel, and mounted it to the side of the drivers a/c duct. The plastic duct amplifies the click, so it's much better!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom