Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Low Tire Pressure Warning

R

RoyalViking

My C4 has the option but I doubt the previous owner had put the sensors on the rims when he installed the aftermarket wheels. I'd like to have this option working but am unsure if it will work with my rims. Has anyone else tried this?

Roy

Low tire pressure warning

I also have an '89 and the prior owner removed two of the tire sensors, and then pulled the warning bulbs for the "Low Tire Pressure" and "LTPWS" alarms.
I had a lot of fun figuring out what was happening and getting the system working.

(All this may be old news to you)

First - I don;t believe it matters about the wheels as long as you locate the sensor opposite the valve, and mark the wheel so a mechanic knows the where the sensor is. The shop manual has a good section on this. You can also buy the warning stickers to place on the wheel from a dealer - at $7 each !

The LTPWS wants to hear from at least one sensor or it will think that the option is not installed and not show that the system isn't working. In other words if all 4 sensors are reporting OK, or if NO sensors are reporting at all then the LTPWS won't alert you. The manual is weasly about the wording on this subject. I believe that all vettes had the control module installed, so if the owner didn't but the option, then no sensors were installed and the system didn't need to be blocked.

HTH LOL

WOW. Ok then the question is, are the sensors available at a reasonable price? Are they specific, or will other sensors work?

I have noticed that even with no air in the tire, they really don't look flat-just a touch low. I would like to add this to my vette.

-Mike

LTPWS Sensors

The sensors ARE specific - to each tire, and to the model year(s) of the Vette.
I paid $125 each for the two I needed from a local dealer - Paul Chevy in Ashland PA.
They had to search around to find them !
For you year of '92 the sensors have a battery in them and they may be more costly.
You can try a dealer, or call Paul in Ashland - they do mail order business. They come with mounting instructions, and any tire shop can install them.
LOL

Here's a list of the P/N's of the Wheel Sensors by Model Year:

89 - 92
RF (blue) - 10098494
LF (green) - 10098495
RR (orange) - 10098496
LR (yellow) - 10098497

93 - 96
LR -10161854
RF -10161855
LF - 10161856
RR - 10161857

Then again, at that price, a tire guage starts looking REAL good.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom