Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

low tire sensors

Looking for 4 low tire sensors for a 1994 corvette

I have a 1994 corvette convertible. Had to replace the right rear sensor in March 06 and was able to purchase from GM. Works fine. Last month my left front sensor went out and took it to dealer to have replaced. GM no longer has the front tire sensors. They do have the rear tire sensors. Fortunately for me, I was able to find a 1991 tire sensor from a salvage source and they sent it to me last week. It goes on tomorrow if it does not snow tonight. The 1991 tire sensor had a different GM part number than the 1994, so I stopped by my friendly GM dealer and the parts guy said it would work. Will let you know next week if it does.

It is important that you know that there are 4 tire sensors, one for each wheel and they cannot be interchanged. The sensor labels are color coded and marked with the location, such as LF on the green label. I know the right rear was a yellow label marked RR. So you must make sure that you get 4 separate tire sensors.

Now for the good part I hope. I was able to locate the tire sensor thru e-bay. The used sensor cost $149 including USPS priority shipping. I don't know if other salvage firms carry the sensors, but the firm in Texas appears to have a supply. If GM installs new sensors from their parts dept, they guarantee the work for 1 year. No guarantees for used sensors. You might try e-bay for another source, but the person I dealt with was: Brian German, 10002 Kirkglen, Houston, TX 77089. Phone 832-654-7376. If you call him, you can tell him that I recommended him.

Hope you are able to find all 4 sensors. If you get from another source, I would like to know the source.

I have a 1994 corvette convertible. Had to replace the right rear sensor in March 06 and was able to purchase from GM. Works fine. Last month my left front sensor went out and took it to dealer to have replaced. GM no longer has the front tire sensors. They do have the rear tire sensors. Fortunately for me, I was able to find a 1991 tire sensor from a salvage source and they sent it to me last week. It goes on tomorrow if it does not snow tonight. The 1991 tire sensor had a different GM part number than the 1994, so I stopped by my friendly GM dealer and the parts guy said it would work. Will let you know next week if it does.

It is important that you know that there are 4 tire sensors, one for each wheel and they cannot be interchanged. The sensor labels are color coded and marked with the location, such as LF on the green label. I know the right rear was a yellow label marked RR. So you must make sure that you get 4 separate tire sensors.

Now for the good part I hope. I was able to locate the tire sensor thru e-bay. The used sensor cost $149 including USPS priority shipping. I don't know if other salvage firms carry the sensors, but the firm in Texas appears to have a supply. If GM installs new sensors from their parts dept, they guarantee the work for 1 year. No guarantees for used sensors. You might try e-bay for another source, but the person I dealt with was: Brian German, 10002 Kirkglen, Houston, TX 77089. Phone 832-654-7376. If you call him, you can tell him that I recommended him.

Hope you are able to find all 4 sensors. If you get from another source, I would like to know the source.

As promised last week, I had the used LF tire sensor replaced. Worked fine and no Flat Tire warning light came on in the DIC. A word of caution - you must know what year Corvette the used tire sensor was originally on. The early years thru 1992 or 1993 had tire pressures of 35 psi while the 1994 - 1996 had 30 psi. If you put an early model tire sensor in a later model car, and run 30 psi or less, then the "Service LTPWS" light might come on. I changed my tire pressure from 30 to 35 psi to prevent this from happening. The owner's manual for a 1994 says that for high performance driving, use 35 psi. For normal driving, use recommended tire pressure on driver side stiicker which is 30 psi. Since most of my driving is mountain roads to and from work, with curves, etc, I don't think the increased pressure will hurt. I will check with dealer later this week and see what the service manager knows, he drives a 93 C4 and his ace technician drives a 91 ZR1. Has anyone had experience with the increased tire pressures? Has anyone installed early year tire sensors in an older model C4 and had troubles?

Hope this info helps.

Red Vette

As promised last week, I had the used LF tire sensor replaced. Worked fine and no Flat Tire warning light came on in the DIC. A word of caution - you must know what year Corvette the used tire sensor was originally on. The early years thru 1992 or 1993 had tire pressures of 35 psi while the 1994 - 1996 had 30 psi. If you put an early model tire sensor in a later model car, and run 30 psi or less, then the "Service LTPWS" light might come on. I changed my tire pressure from 30 to 35 psi to prevent this from happening. The owner's manual for a 1994 says that for high performance driving, use 35 psi. For normal driving, use recommended tire pressure on driver side stiicker which is 30 psi. Since most of my driving is mountain roads to and from work, with curves, etc, I don't think the increased pressure will hurt. I will check with dealer later this week and see what the service manager knows, he drives a 93 C4 and his ace technician drives a 91 ZR1. Has anyone had experience with the increased tire pressures? Has anyone installed early year tire sensors in an older model C4 and had troubles?

Hope this info helps.

Red Vette

Well I was wrong!!! The flat tire warning lite did not come on, but now the low tire pressure warning light comes on, even though I have 36 psi in the driver's side front tire [94 C4 tire pressure is 30 psi-pre 93 tire pressure is 36 psi]. Chevy dealer checked the code and it was the tire sensor that was installed last November. It is my opinion that there were two different sets of tire pressure systems, pre 93 and 93 to 96. They are not interchangeable. So I must now find the correct 93-96 green labeled sensor in the used parts market . Of course, no one has one in stock and I must wait until one shows up, but that means that someone has lost a C4, and I wouldn't wish that on any owner. When I find and install the correct tire pressure sensor, the pre 93 sensor will be available to anyone who needs it. Who knows when that will be? I hope my previous post did not cause anyone problems. If it did, I truly am sorry.

Barrett

In an answer to one of your previous inquires. I like to run tire pressure at the lower end. Seems like I have more outer tread wear when running the max pressure. I noticed this over the years of course with not only the vette but with other cars as well. ;shrug

Looking for 4 low tire sensors for a 1994 corvette

My Son works for the company that manufactured the sensors and when they discontinued them I acquired the old inventory. I have boxes of sensors. If you send me a picture or description of the sensor you are looking for I'll see what I can do. I got the sensors for my own 93 Corvette. I know I have sensors that fit the 93.

My Son works for the company that manufactured the sensors and when they discontinued them I acquired the old inventory. I have boxes of sensors. If you send me a picture or description of the sensor you are looking for I'll see what I can do. I got the sensors for my own 93 Corvette. I know I have sensors that fit the 93.

I have a 1994 corvette. The sensor for each wheel was color coded in addition to having a GM Part number. The one I need is the green label, GM Part No. 88959446. If the green label has the GM Part No. 10098495, it is for the pre 93 left front wheel. If you have one, I sure would like to get it from you. Does it have the band that wraps around the wheel? If not, then I can use the one that was on my defective one.

Thank you very much.

Barrett

Wheel sensors

I have a 1994 corvette. The sensor for each wheel was color coded in addition to having a GM Part number. The one I need is the green label, GM Part No. 88959446. If the green label has the GM Part No. 10098495, it is for the pre 93 left front wheel. If you have one, I sure would like to get it from you. Does it have the band that wraps around the wheel? If not, then I can use the one that was on my defective one.

Thank you very much.

Barrett

The sensors are not labeled for GM but have Smartire generic labeling. The color coding is the same. I have 2 types as shown in the pictures. The beige one is the one that works on my 93. I'm not sure what year the black one is for. I don't have the straps. Let me know which one matches your car.

I apologize for the picture quality but this site requires I degrade the quality to reduce the size of the attachment.

Geoff
BCVette

The sensors are not labeled for GM but have Smartire generic labeling. The color coding is the same. I have 2 types as shown in the pictures. The beige one is the one that works on my 93. I'm not sure what year the black one is for. I don't have the straps. Let me know which one matches your car.

I apologize for the picture quality but this site requires I degrade the quality to reduce the size of the attachment.

Geoff
BCVette

Geoff,

Thanks for the pics. When I get home this evening, I'll look at the one that was removed and see if I can get any other informatiion off the label. Then I will post the info to you. I really do appreciate your help in this.

I was wondering, did you have to replace all of your sensors, or did you just replace one wheel, and which one? If the sensor worked in your left front, then this may be the one I need. At lunch time, I will go to my friendly Chevy dealer and try to get part info and colors from their parts guy. If I can get this info, and if you are willing, other CACers may need similar parts and you can help them also. I believe I would like to get the right front sensor also as GM no longer has them. Thanks again for your help.

Geoff,

Thanks for the pics. When I get home this evening, I'll look at the one that was removed and see if I can get any other informatiion off the label. Then I will post the info to you. I really do appreciate your help in this.

I was wondering, did you have to replace all of your sensors, or did you just replace one wheel, and which one? If the sensor worked in your left front, then this may be the one I need. At lunch time, I will go to my friendly Chevy dealer and try to get part info and colors from their parts guy. If I can get this info, and if you are willing, other CACers may need similar parts and you can help them also. I believe I would like to get the right front sensor also as GM no longer has them. Thanks again for your help.

I've never used any of the inventory I got from my son. When I bought my 93 in 2000 it came with a broken sensor that had been replaced when damaged by a tire shop.

Geoff
BCVette

Geoff
BCVette

Geoff
Thanks for your reply.

I need the beige sensor with the green label. I checked the Chevy dealer and got part numbers and colors as follows:

1993-96
Driver Left: GM88959446 [Green Label] Right: GM 88959445 [Blue Label]
Passenger Left: GM88959444 [Yellow Label] Right: GM 88959447 [Orange]
The numbers above supersede part nos that begin 10161856 [Driver Left] etc

Pre 1993
Driver Left: GM10098495 [Green] Right: GM10098494 [Blue]
Passenger Left: GM10098494 [Yellow] Right: 10098496 [Orange]

I don't know the difference between the black and the beige, but I would guess that the black ones are for the pre 1993 and the beige for 1993-96. I do know that the one I put on the Driver Left that was from a 1991 was black and doesn't work. Since the ones that came off my 1994 were beige, and the one that worked on your 1993 was beige, I believe that I am correct, but if someone else knows, then I hope they will reply to the posts. From what I could learn, one does not mix or mismatch the colors [beige vs black] because of the frequency used in the sensor system. Each one is different.

Please send me an e-mail so that we can work out the details to get the sensor(s) to me. I would like the Passenger Right [beige - blue] also if you have a spare since this one is not available from GM also. The two rear ones still are available. My e-mail is:
bsqaured@msn.com. You can find this in my profile.

Thanks again.
Barrett Benson

My 1990 Coupe is nearing the time for replacement tires. To the best of my knowledge, my tire pressure sensors are still intact and working. As a matter of fact I had the "Low tire pressue" warning light come on this week which was quickly fixed by putting air in my tires. Can I eliminate these sensors to avoid the expense of trying to purchase the proper replacements if the tire dealer happens to ruin one or more during the changing of the tires? The rubber is expensive enough without worrying about a bigger expense for pressure sensors.

Bob

My 1990 Coupe is nearing the time for replacement tires. To the best of my knowledge, my tire pressure sensors are still intact and working. As a matter of fact I had the "Low tire pressue" warning light come on this week which was quickly fixed by putting air in my tires. Can I eliminate these sensors to avoid the expense of trying to purchase the proper replacements if the tire dealer happens to ruin one or more during the changing of the tires? The rubber is expensive enough without worrying about a bigger expense for pressure sensors.

Bob

It is my understanding that if you remove the tire pressure sensors from the wheels, the LTPWS or the Flat Tire WS will illuminate on the DIC, but I do not know for certain. All I know so far is that when one goes out for any reason, one of the warning lights comes on (I've had two go out). If you replace a sensor with the wrong part number, the warnings will illuminate. Since you have a 1990, you would need the pre 93 sensors as listed in my previous post. You should warn the tire dealer (and the tire tech who actually works on the wheels and tires) about the sensors, how they fit on each wheel, and that the wheels must be re-mounted on the car in the same location. Since the sensors operate via piezoelectric mode, there are no batteries to worry about, but they can be damaged. The strap with the counterweight that attaches the sensor to the wheel has a warning label on it, "do not drop".

If anyone in CAC has removed the tire sensors on a C4, it would be helpful if they could reply to this or Bob's post with information about their experience or result. I would like to know because the sensors are expensive and the front ones are no longer in stock at GM (for 93-96) and hard to locate as a used part. A previous post has said that you can pull the fuse for the cruise control and this will deactivate the LTPWS on the DIC, but it also deactivates the cruise control. Someone even put black electrical tape over the illuminated light, but this does not fix the problem.

Thanks
Barrett

93 RT/FRT & RT/RR WHEEL SENSORS

I SAW THIS AND HOPE IT'S STILL ACTIVE ALTHOUGH THE POSTING DATES ARE OLD. I NEED THE RIGHT FRONT AND RIGHT REAR SENSORS. THEY ARE THE BEIGE ONES WITH BLUE AND ORANGE LABELS. THANKS

Bob

On my 89 I found that if you remove all 4 sensors no errors will display on the dip. If you read the FSM very carefully in that LTPWS section (like a chinese lawyer) it says that if 1, 2, or 3, sensors fail to report within a two minute period the CHK LTPWS will lite up. It would have been easier to just say if any sensors fail to report ... I concluded that all vettes in 89 and likely later, had the central module, but if you didn't pay for the option and had no sensors no pesky alarms would lite up.

if anyone needs the sensors for a 90 i have one full set and all but the yellowone for a total of seven sensors . the full set i would like to sell together for 285 plus shipping the others are 75 ea plus shipping . pm me if interested .thanx sorry for the hijack

1993 Sensors

Hey BCVette,

Do you have anymore of these sensors? I'm looking for all 4 sensors to fit a 93 Corvette. Please email me at JOTIS@MOHAWKRUBBER.COM

SENSORS

Geoff
BCVette
Geoff, I may have talked to you earlier this month, I'm not sure. I have a 93 and I need the beige sensors. I need a blue and an orange. That would be the right front and the right rear. By the end of the week I'll know if I need a left rear. Hope you still have some. My phone # is 216 403 7348 or e-mail is fine.

Sam
Bay Village, Ohio

hello-interested in rr 96 tire sensor-30psi-orange-beige-if still available
thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom