Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Low voltage message on the dic for the first time on a 2000 c5

Greg C

Corvette
2000 Convertible;Bowling Green Metalic
Took the corvette (2000 C5 with around 23,000 miles- no modifications have been done to the car) out this past Sunday for a meet with other Corvettes for a thank you parade for a local hospital. Met up at a parking lot across the street from the hospital (35 Corvettes) when the time came lined up in single file and drove across the street to get in line along he hospital entrance drive. ( Note: drove 3 miles to the location without any problems...and other than taking the Vette out for a spring test drive a month ago after I changed the oil this was the first time out this season....have never seen this message before).
So slowly driving in line on the entrance drive the Low Voltage message popped up on the DIC screen. Turned off the stereo & A/C, pulled out of the line turned around and headed home. Once I got on the local road and got up to speed (45 mph) the Low Voltage message went away. About a mile or so down approached a traffic light (red) and slowed down the message reappeared. Once the light changed to green got back up to speed and message went away. Got to my driveway (it is about 1220 ft down to my house) stopped turned the stereo and A/C back on and slowly drove (about 10 mph) down down the driveway and the message never did come back.
Yesterday I took the Vette to a local auto parts store (they have a code reader that one can use) to see if any trouble codes are present (they gave me a Innova Model 5300 LAT code reader to use) ..connected the turned the key to "ON". the reader downloaded the vehicles information...took about 30 seconds, came back with the message "No Powertrain DTCS of Freeze Frame Data is Presently Stored in Vehicle's Computer".
Did check the engine belt...seems to be in very good condition and not loose. No loose wiring on the alternator.
So can anyone suggest what I should do next? Ha anyone else seen this on their C5 before.

Thinking maybe I should take it up the dealer and have them do a diagnostic check on the car.... I thought the code reader I used at the auto parts store would of shown any past trouble codes but maybe not...first time I have used one. Maybe the code reader at the dealer will show more information?

thanks
puzzled in Michigan

You don't need a dionostic scanner on a C5 to pull the codes.

https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c5-technical-and-performance/72535-pulling-codes-c5.html

With that said,Most of time low voltage is caused by,High resistance or non existent grounds or B+ connections ,Battery getting weak (Less than 12.4 volts),or Alternator problems.(Weak or Shorted Diodes, Faulty Windings,Faulty Regulator or Worn Brushes.) Pull the codes and post them,Both History and Present.

Last edited:
You should read the codes via the DIC since some code readers may not report all of the C5 specific codes. If you have a battery that allows you to check the electrolyte level you should make sure its at the correct level. It most likely that you have a battery that is starting to go. How old is it? You need to read the battery voltage with the car running at idle and various RPMs and also with the engine off.

Based on the OP, the problem is just as likely to be with the charging system as with the battery.

Check battery cables (both ends) for corrosion.
Have the battery tested.
Troubleshoot the charging system per the service manual.

Took the corvette (2000 C5 with around 23,000 miles- no modifications have been done to the car) out this past Sunday for a meet with other Corvettes for a thank you parade for a local hospital. Met up at a parking lot across the street from the hospital (35 Corvettes) when the time came lined up in single file and drove across the street to get in line along he hospital entrance drive. ( Note: drove 3 miles to the location without any problems...and other than taking the Vette out for a spring test drive a month ago after I changed the oil this was the first time out this season....have never seen this message before).
So slowly driving in line on the entrance drive the Low Voltage message popped up on the DIC screen. Turned off the stereo & A/C, pulled out of the line turned around and headed home. Once I got on the local road and got up to speed (45 mph) the Low Voltage message went away. About a mile or so down approached a traffic light (red) and slowed down the message reappeared. Once the light changed to green got back up to speed and message went away. Got to my driveway (it is about 1220 ft down to my house) stopped turned the stereo and A/C back on and slowly drove (about 10 mph) down down the driveway and the message never did come back.
Yesterday I took the Vette to a local auto parts store (they have a code reader that one can use) to see if any trouble codes are present (they gave me a Innova Model 5300 LAT code reader to use) ..connected the turned the key to "ON". the reader downloaded the vehicles information...took about 30 seconds, came back with the message "No Powertrain DTCS of Freeze Frame Data is Presently Stored in Vehicle's Computer".
Did check the engine belt...seems to be in very good condition and not loose. No loose wiring on the alternator.
So can anyone suggest what I should do next? Ha anyone else seen this on their C5 before.

Thinking maybe I should take it up the dealer and have them do a diagnostic check on the car.... I thought the code reader I used at the auto parts store would of shown any past trouble codes but maybe not...first time I have used one. Maybe the code reader at the dealer will show more information?

thanks
puzzled in Michigan

Where in Michigan are you? I have a 2000 also. What does your voltage read on the DIC when this happens? It sounds alternator speed related. Perhaps the voltage regulator is going out? If you have a digital multi meter, next time this happens set it to DC Volts, and touch the probes on the battery terminals, black to black, red to red, etc.. If you're getting a reading of 13+ volts, it's obviously charging. C5s are notorious for doing weird things when the batteries need replacing. You don't seem to drive it much, and since the warning goes away after a short drive, I suspect the battery may be nearing its end. I'm also in Michigan, btw...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom