Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: lowered C5's

markmark

Corvette
2001 Z51 navy blue metallic coupe
I have a question for everyone. Have you lowered your C5, Are you happy with the results, How did you accomplish it, are you sorry that you did it? I have been thinking of lowering my 01'coupe, only about an inch, wondering if I will have a car being too low for the street. Thanks, mark

All depends on the streets in your neighborhood. I've lowered mine in the past only to realize that a kid on a moped could beet me in a race because the car would bottom out all the time. I even installed coil over shocks. Guess when the car is low, it is low and nothing will prevent from bottoming out. You can lower yours on stock bolts, don't waste money on lowering kits. Once lowered align it and drive for a while, if you like it , keep it, if not it's nothing to bring it back to stock. Presently mine is about 1/4" bellow stock and I dare not to go anymore. They sure do look good lowered. A word of advice if you keep it lowered you'll need frame saver wheels installed.

Lowered mine on stock bolts. I love the look, but most of all I love the improved handling of the car. Only takes an hour to do the job, and if you don't like it, return it to stock height. I've had two C5's that where lowered and drive them very hard, and not once have I bottomed out. I've also never had to install frame savers or rollers on the car. When I see a speed bump, I roll over it nice and slow.

I lowered my 98 as far as I could on stock bolts then I cut the bushings. The car looked great but would drag on everything. On my 04 I lowered it as far as I could on stock bolts but left the bushings alone. Much better, I can clear most things.

Same here. Lowered mine on stock bolts leaving the bushings alone. Haven't had a problem. I'm guessing that it dropped at least 1", if not a little more, on the stock bolts. I only have a problem if I attempt to go up my drive way straight on, otherwise love the handling.

I have a question for everyone. Have you lowered your C5, Are you happy with the results, How did you accomplish it, are you sorry that you did it? I have been thinking of lowering my 01'coupe, only about an inch, wondering if I will have a car being too low for the street. Thanks, mark

Hi Mark,
My '01 has been lowered for about six years now on the stock bolts.
Your car will drop about 3/4 inch at the rear and about 1/2 inch at the front. You'll notice the difference after you drive it a bit.
I love the look, my ride was unaffected, and the car looks much better.
Like others have said, wait a few weeks, let it settle, then get a complete 4 wheel alignment.

By the way :w,from a fellow Corvettes Anonymous member.
You have a problem? :)

Regards,
Pedro

Lowered mine on stock bolts. I love the look, but most of all I love the improved handling of the car. Only takes an hour to do the job, and if you don't like it, return it to stock height. I've had two C5's that where lowered and drive them very hard, and not once have I bottomed out. I've also never had to install frame savers or rollers on the car. When I see a speed bump, I roll over it nice and slow.

Hey Pac-Man,
Got any pics of your tripleblack? Looks pretty sweet in your avatar!

:beer

Hi Mark,
My '01 has been lowered for about six years now on the stock bolts.
Your car will drop about 3/4 inch at the rear and about 1/2 inch at the front. You'll notice the difference after you drive it a bit.
I love the look, my ride was unaffected, and the car looks much better.
Like others have said, wait a few weeks, let it settle, then get a complete 4 wheel alignment.

By the way :w,from a fellow Corvettes Anonymous member.
You have a problem? :)

Regards,
Pedro
Thanks Pedro, I will add your comment into the weight of my decision. I have already scuffed the rocker underneath the passenger side, parking at a school for a young cousin's football game. I love the look of a lowered vette', have a lifetime alignment agreement, and have a nephew that discourages me from doing it each and every time that I bring it up. I just want to fill the wheelwells up a bit. I like the look, just don't want to damage my "baby" in the process. Thanks for the Corvettes Anonymous wave.:w Have been in "therapy" for only a short time(member #413) But it is helping, and what a wonderful cause that Tom and all of us members support. Thanks, mark

Thanks Pedro, I will add your comment into the weight of my decision. I have already scuffed the rocker underneath the passenger side, parking at a school for a young cousin's football game. I love the look of a lowered vette', have a lifetime alignment agreement, and have a nephew that discourages me from doing it each and every time that I bring it up. I just want to fill the wheelwells up a bit. I like the look, just don't want to damage my "baby" in the process. Thanks for the Corvettes Anonymous wave.:w Have been in "therapy" for only a short time(member #413) But it is helping, and what a wonderful cause that Tom and all of us members support. Thanks, mark

Mark,
As we drive these cars, we learn to drive differently.
They are sports cars and do sit lower than most cars.
I have learned to back in to most pasking spaces to avoid damage.

Tom is nothing if not first class... :w

Hey Tripleblack51, to see more pix of my Vette, go to CoPobros.com, and thank you for the compliment.

Hey Tripleblack51, to see more pix of my Vette, go to CoPobros.com, and thank you for the compliment.

Very cool car and site!

Thanks! :beer

Hi All,
I've wondered about how folks drive the lowered Vettes too. I think the look is very cool but I drive mine every day and have to choose my route to work based on the condition of the streets. It's a good thing the air dam is hinged. I've been considering larger wheels to get the full wheel well look but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. It's certainly more expensive than lowering the car.

Hi All,
I've wondered about how folks drive the lowered Vettes too. I think the look is very cool but I drive mine every day and have to choose my route to work based on the condition of the streets. It's a good thing the air dam is hinged. I've been considering larger wheels to get the full wheel well look but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. It's certainly more expensive than lowering the car.
Hi Tony, I too am thinking about larger wheels and tires. I am kinda kicking myself in the butt bout that. I had to replace the back tires (bought her used) and replace 1 cracked wheel. That came out to almost half of the cost of the CCW's and tires that I would like to have. Too many things (bills) were going in my life at that time. I have seen some very fine examples of lowered C5's, A lot of Z's and the look to me is nothing short of phenomenal. Next time I need tires, I will probobly go the CCW route, and you never know, if I am a good boy this year santa might just put a set of coil overs and a supercharger kit in my Christmas stocking. We are still young enough to dream aren't we? Thanks, mark

Hi Mark - I understand how busy life can get. We just attended our daughter's grad school graduation, her wedding is in July and we just found out my sona and daughter-in-law are pregnant. wow, what a spring! So, a couple weeks ago when I finally had to replace my tires - 32K miles on the original tires - I decided the CCW wheels I wanted to get to go with the new tires would just have to wait till next time. So, you're right, just keep dreaming and planning - you're never too old to dream as long as long as you're on top of the sod and not under it!
Tony C.

Thanks for the encouragement Tony. I had tore up my shoulder at work about the same time the tires and wheel thing popped up(drove it as long as I dared)and have recently had surgery on on my left shoulder. Although I am getting paid for my time off, workmans comp checks have not allowed me to live as well as I do when I am working. While my time off I have taken advantage of it and spent some time in No. CA with my brothers family and in WA state with my sisters family. Priorities rule, and I am sure they will still make aftermarket parts when I go back to work. So I can start saving all over again. In the meantime, we can still enjoy our cars and dream of goodies that we will enivitably afford. Can't wait. Congrats on all of the positive things that are going on in your family:beer. mark

So You Want To Lower It?

Lowering the car an inch is hardly worth the time. Lower it all the way on the stock bolts and it will get the look you want. Check out this thread. It gives you many examples of lowered C5's and how each was accomplished.
Remo:cool

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98838&highlight=slammed+c5

Also, after you've lowered your car install the frame savers. You'll be glad that you did.

Lowering the car an inch is hardly worth the time. Lower it all the way on the stock bolts and it will get the look you want. Check out this thread. It gives you many examples of lowered C5's and how each was accomplished.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98838&highlight=slammed+c5
Thanks Remo, I followed that thread awhile ago, and was impressed by some of the stunning examples of lowered C5's. Thanks for the reminder though, I still look through it every few days or so. Remember the wave!:w

Better Than Z51 - But Much Stiffer Ride

Here's mine lowered with a WCC lowering kit, plus T-One springs, sway bars and Bilstiens.

2384135810103361744S600x600Q85.jpg

Here's mine lowered with a WCC lowering kit, plus T-One springs, sway bars and Bilstiens.

2384135810103361744S600x600Q85.jpg
Hi Remo. Nice ride, I can now understand your winter blues, and your feelings that father winter doesn't like you:w. remember the wave!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom