Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lowering My 72

72LT-ONE

Corvette
1972 Sunflower LT-1
Right now my car sits way too high for my liking, probably 1.5" between the top of the tire and the radius on the fender. I would like it to set so the tire and fender are approximatly the same level. Lowering the rear is no problem, but what is the prefered method to reduce ride height in the front?

Thanks,

Michael

Shorter springs. Usually you can find an after-market set that will give about an inch or so and maintain disired handling.

brusso said:
Shorter springs. Usually you can find an after-market set that will give about an inch or so and maintain disired handling.

Hey guys,

How do you lower the rear?? I have a 360lb Composite Monospring suspension in the rear

72LT-ONE said:
Right now my car sits way too high for my liking, probably 1.5" between the top of the tire and the radius on the fender. I would like it to set so the tire and fender are approximatly the same level. Lowering the rear is no problem, but what is the prefered method to reduce ride height in the front?
Thanks,Michael
As brusso said ... shorter springs ... aftermarket or cut yours. Probably the toe and certainly the camber will change after short springs are in ... do have them checked/reset afterward. Around here, local parts houses offer quality MOOG front springs at $60-$70/pair.
JACK:gap

Jack said:
As brusso said ... shorter springs ... aftermarket or cut yours. Probably the toe and certainly the camber will change after short springs are in ... do have them checked/reset afterward. Around here, local parts houses offer quality MOOG front springs at $60-$70/pair.

Thanks Jack-

Unfortunately, I think you misunderstood the question. My was questioning was for the back?:w
Also, Any idea where I can find the stock ride height for a "76". I am presently 30' in the back from the ground to the edge of the well and the front is 28". I was told this is to high:confused .

:beer

76 Sting said:
Thanks Jack-

Unfortunately, I think you misunderstood the question. My was questioning was for the back?:w
Also, Any idea where I can find the stock ride height for a "76". I am presently 30' in the back from the ground to the edge of the well and the front is 28". I was told this is to high:confused . :beer
UHHH, I didn't misunderstand ... I replied to Michael's Q. Dunno about your composite rear spring but rear ride height can usually be adjusted by shortening/lengthening the bolt at each of rear spring's outboard ends. Dunno 76 specs. Don't let the plastic spring get too close to exhaust ... it'll collapse/snap.

Jack said:
UHHH, I didn't misunderstand ... I replied to Michael's Q. Dunno about your composite rear spring but rear ride height can usually be adjusted by shortening/lengthening the bolt at each of rear spring's outboard ends. Dunno 76 specs. Don't let the plastic spring get too close to exhaust ... it'll collapse/snap.

Sorry jack it looks like I misunderstood.:D Thanks for the info and have a great day

72LT-ONE said:

Thanks,

Michael

Hey Michael, how did it go? Did you cut the springs? If so, how much? Any pictures you care to post? I want to do the same to my 69.
Thanks!

I have yet to drop it. Right now I am working on the interior and driving it to much to do any suspension work. May be when it gets cooler..I live in Sacramento and it gets quite warm around here during the summer. But when I do I'll post pictures.

later

M

Nice lookin' ride, I really like that color blue, what size tires do you have? I was thinking about going to the 255-60-15's which are just about the same diameter as the originals. I would like to go to a tire with a lower aspect ratio but I think I'd have any luck finding any. Maybe I'll check The Tire Rack and see what they have.

Later,

M

17" wheels. Fronts are 245/45/17. Rears are 255/50/17. Had to mix the sizes to get the same space front/ rear since I couldn't add some of the coil back on... I cut off a full coil.

72LT-ONE said:
Nice lookin' ride, I really like that color blue, what size tires do you have? I was thinking about going to the 255-60-15's which are just about the same diameter as the originals. I would like to go to a tire with a lower aspect ratio but I think I'd have any luck finding any. Maybe I'll check The Tire Rack and see what they have.

Later,

M
I run the seven coil f-41 front spring's on th 72, 3/4's of an in. clearance with 245-60's,run the 8in, bolts ,330 lb TRW on the rear with VBP's Smart Strut's, about 1 1/4 clearance with 255-60's, are you going to the Vette Magic car show at the Sacto Marriot's June 4

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom