Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LS1 In MId Year Vette

V

vettehead 1

I have owned this 65 Vette for over 33 years. never had the original engine,so I just installed what ever I felt like when I wanted to. Loved the Big Blocks, and they will always have a speciel place in my heart.
Well I wanted to pass this car on to my daugther, since her first ride home from the hospital was a red Vette with side pipes. The only thing that I had that was running.
So, Off with the body and installed a new aftermarket frame, 96 Vette suspension, rack & pinion steering, 1999 Vette LS1, 4L60E transmission, Classic Air, Hydo Boost brakes, Alum radiator, 17 " Alum Wheels. I covered the 98 Vette seats with 65 material and correct color for 1965. Had to fabricate the LS1 emblems. Dash is all digital.
This really made a great driver. Not to mention WILD. Drove it to Effingham last year(won a celerbity choice award), and plans are to the make the trip again this September.
:w

nice job:thumb and you have the right color too!:D

Can you tell me how you installed the '98 seats? Beautiful job by the way!

Can you tell me how you installed the '98 seats? Beautiful job by the way!
I had to remove all the working assembly from the seats to start with. With it they were too high. Then they were mounted to seat frame for 75-78 vette. I tilted the front up 1 1/2 inches. That seamed to give just the right amount of tilt for me. The adjustment is just back and foward using these frames. I have noticed that people with longer legs want it to move back more than it will.
The sets set really comfortable, and I have shoulder harness.
Attached is a picture, hope it will help
vettehead

View attachment 19134

You just built my dream Vette. A midyear with modern running gear is something I've wanted since I saw one for the first time a few years ago in Vette Magazine. No shame in converting a non-original midyear IMHO. Enjoy! :thumb

You just built my dream Vette. A midyear with modern running gear is something I've wanted since I saw one for the first time a few years ago in Vette Magazine. No shame in converting a non-original midyear IMHO. Enjoy! :thumb

The car is much more road frendly now than ever. The ride is a little stiff because of the coil-overs, but the handling on a country road makes up for it. Fuel milage is 25+ with the air on.
Thanks for the complement.
Vettehead

I have owned this 65 Vette for over 33 years. never had the original engine,so I just installed what ever I felt like when I wanted to. Loved the Big Blocks, and they will always have a speciel place in my heart.
Well I wanted to pass this car on to my daugther, since her first ride home from the hospital was a red Vette with side pipes. The only thing that I had that was running.

So, Off with the body and installed a new aftermarket frame, 96 Vette suspension, rack & pinion steering, 1999 Vette LS1, 4L60E transmission, Classic Air, Hydo Boost brakes, Alum radiator, 17 " Alum Wheels. I covered the 98 Vette seats with 65 material and correct color for 1965. Had to fabricate the LS1 emblems. Dash is all digital.

Looks nice! This is my first post here but my story is almost the same, except for the daughter part J...I have a NOM 65 Glen Green Coupe I've owned since 1977, when I was 19. I restored the car once then, with new paint, interior and some repo knock-offs.

Now it's seen better days and is need of a full frame off restoration, in-fact about 7 years ago started the project with the purchase of a 95 LT1 with a ZF 6 Speed. Shortly after starting the project I found a great deal on a low mileage 01 modified red ZO6 that I could not ignore so the 65 went to the back burner.

Now the Z06 is paid off and I’m starting to get fired up on starting back up on the coupe project. With current cost of LS motors so low I’m going scratch the original plan with the LT1 go with a more modern LS motor. I noticed you installed C4 suspension. Did you buy a kit or fabricate all the mounting?

Mike

I puchased a rolling chassis from the Street Shop. I had to do no modification to my body what so ever. Perfect fit. I suggest the LS engine over the LT1. More HP, HUURAA.
Don't think I would do this to an original engine car, but not worried about originality with mine. Didn't want a show or trailer queen. Sure is a great driver. I can travel with any C5 or C6, up to around 130 MPH.
Be glad to assist you with any info with yours.
Thanks
Phil

Thanks!
It does look like Street Shop has one of the best products. I see your car is in their gallery. :thumb
http://www.streetshopinc.com/c4midyear.html
My car is a non original engine so I don’t think it would hurt value of the car and frankly I don’t care. I will own it till the day die & I have no desire for a trailer queen either. If I go with the C4 package does the width remain the same so I can keep my Knock offs? I also noticed Street Shop offers a C5 chassis, however it looks like it requires modification of the cargo area. The jack storage tubs behind the seats have holes in rear center corner since the day I bought the car, perhaps caused by u-joints coming loose, so the rear cargo area, I don’t consider virgin. I really would like to keep a manual transmission, but this too requires minor modification to the front floor pan, which in either case I could live with.

Mike

Thanks!
It does look like Street Shop has one of the best products. I see your car is in their gallery. :thumb
http://www.streetshopinc.com/c4midyear.html
My car is a non original engine so I don’t think it would hurt value of the car and frankly I don’t care. I will own it till the day die & I have no desire for a trailer queen either. If I go with the C4 package does the width remain the same so I can keep my Knock offs? I also noticed Street Shop offers a C5 chassis, however it looks like it requires modification of the cargo area. The jack storage tubs behind the seats have holes in rear center corner since the day I bought the car, perhaps caused by u-joints coming loose, so the rear cargo area, I don’t consider virgin. I really would like to keep a manual transmission, but this too requires minor modification to the front floor pan, which in either case I could live with.

Mike
Mike
I don't think you will be able to keep the KO's and use the C4 suspension. I wanted to use my original wheels and covers, but they wouldn't clear the C4 calipers. My tires are, 245/45x17 mounted on alum wheels that I got from the street shop. I painted them to to get that 60,s look. They fit nicely under the fenders. No Modifications to my body what so ever. Not sure about the modificaions using the manual trans. Mine is automatic. Tray can assist you with that. I do know that using the 4L60E is so wide it blocks the holes in the crossmember making it hard to use under the car exhaust.
If you are seriously considering doing what I did , we need to get togather and share info.
Phil

Hope you enjoy it more the next 33 yrs. They handle great compaired to the old frames.

Absolutely amazing! I was considering a big block for my car, but the LS engines are so powerful and light. What kind of headers did you use, and how did you join them to your sidepipes? What other kinds of installation problems did you have?

V/R
Dan

"Snort The Pipes, Daddy"

Vettehead you need to pull a Paul Harvey and "Tell The Rest of The Story!

For y'all that have never driven one of these old girls with a new frame and powertrain, hold on to your hats and don't try to eat a hot dog or you'll get mustard in your ears from grinning so big. I was fortunate enough to put some of my fingerprints on the steering wheel of this car. Unfortunately the drive made me covet a new frame and powertrain for my little white car.

I wish all my friends here could sit with Vettehead and his sweet wife over a pot of coffee and some good times. :thumb

Thank God for Good Friends!

Andy

Absolutely amazing! I was considering a big block for my car, but the LS engines are so powerful and light. What kind of headers did you use, and how did you join them to your sidepipes? What other kinds of installation problems did you have?

V/R
Dan
Headers are for a C5 that are suppose to replace the stock manifolds. Had to make several trips to the muffler shop to get the pipe bent correctly. Plans are to redo the lower part of the header to turn it out towards the side more. Didn't have any major instllations problems.
This redo replaced a big block. I think the car is quicker now. But I do miss that BB thump thru those side pipes
Phil

Vettehead you need to pull a Paul Harvey and "Tell The Rest of The Story!

For y'all that have never driven one of these old girls with a new frame and powertrain, hold on to your hats and don't try to eat a hot dog or you'll get mustard in your ears from grinning so big. I was fortunate enough to put some of my fingerprints on the steering wheel of this car. Unfortunately the drive made me covet a new frame and powertrain for my little white car.

I wish all my friends here could sit with Vettehead and his sweet wife over a pot of coffee and some good times. :thumb

Thank God for Good Friends!

Andy

Good to hear from you.Though you had disapeared. How is the family?

Good to hear from you.Though you had disapeared. How is the family?

Your ears should be burning with all the people I've told about your car and the transforamtion! Oddly I haven't run across any retro-rodded Vetts. Big Corvette only get together here in Lake Mary today with only about 5 midyears out of about 70 cars.

:w While we were there Big Girl made a comment about "Snort The Pipes" all I could do was smile.

Thanks,

Andy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom