Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ls7 engine

John Mcgraw

Corvette
1960 Roman red, 1959 resto-rod, 1965 resto-rod
Guys,
GM announced pricing today for the new LS7 engine, and Scoggin Dickey is taking orders for them discounted for $12,995. I know this is a lot of bucks for an engine, but this is a lot of engine for the bucks. I am still making up my mind whether to order one for the 65 resto-rod or whether to stick with the LS2. The LS7 will give me bragging rights at the saturday night criuise for a long time to come, and adds 100 horsepower over the LS2, but the LS2 will probably give me all the power I will ever be able to use. Decisions, decisions!:L

Regards, John McGraw

John Mcgraw said:
Guys,
GM announced pricing today for the new LS7 engine, and Scoggin Dickey is taking orders for them discounted for $12,995. I know this is a lot of bucks for an engine, but this is a lot of engine for the bucks. I am still making up my mind whether to order one for the 65 resto-rod or whether to stick with the LS2. The LS7 will give me bragging rights at the saturday night criuise for a long time to come, and adds 100 horsepower over the LS2, but the LS2 will probably give me all the power I will ever be able to use. Decisions, decisions!:L

Regards, John McGraw

What would be the price difference between the two motors.I wish I had that kinda money sitting around as I would love to have one in the wifes C5.Funny seeing that price I now feel I stole my performace crate motor its a $7000.00 price difference.

hey john you also have to know when to when. I just went thru some tough decisions on my motor.You know the 454 ho for under 5000.00 jump up to the aluminum headed motor for only another $900.00. Boy those heads would look sweat in my engine bay.Now I am inot the 502 price range and nobody uses the 502 you mine as well go with the zz502 with aluminum heads.Well you get the idea.I still cant belive I did not purchase that tri power set up from barry grant.i see it in my sleep as I am settleing into bed

Larry,

You can get the LS2 engine for about $5,300, so the price Delta is about $7,300! You could buy 2 LS2 engines and still have money left over, so I will probably stay with the LS2. The other problem is that the new 4L65E trans is not rated by GM for as much torque as the LS7 puts out, so that would probably mean a 6 speed. Of course, with the limited tire size on the 65, this would probably not be a problem since getting all that torque to the road would be almost impossible anyway!

Regards, John McGraw

John Mcgraw said:
Larry,

Of course, with the limited tire size on the 65, this would probably not be a problem since getting all that torque to the road would be almost impossible anyway!

Regards, John McGraw
thats my bet.....

John, that temptation must be HUGE to want that motor in your new project!
It's definately on the pricey side, but as you say, the bragging rights would be SOOOOOOOOOO much fun! :)

John,

Having seen pictures of your work on the 59, I'm thinking you won't have to worry about bragging rights no matter which engine you decide on.

On another note, can you tell me the length of the frame on your rotisserie? You forwarded the dimensions to me a while back, but all I have is the width (4' 8") and the 6 mounting hole locations. I was thinking it would be 12' or so, but didn't know for sure.

Thanks,

Wes

John,

If you have the cash...do it. You will be the first and there wont be any regrets. You can only be first once installing the LS7 in a mid year. There will be articles written about your conversion and you will have instant gratification...maybe...hopefully. So after you figure out what the issues are and take the hit for being first we can follow right behind you.

Good luck and let us know if you are going to do it. Considering that this is a hand built race motor the price looks good.

Tim

I've got over 50K miles on my LS6 with no problems. add larger intake and exhaust for an extra 30 horse. 435 horses does well until 125 mph, then the extra horses would be nice.

Rick

John Mcgraw said:
Guys,

Regards, John McGraw

John,

If you do not use the money for a LS7, you will use it on something else (bills, vacation, tires, food)....I wish I could afford a LS2 myself. Good luck bud!!!:upthumbs

Another thought might be to get an all aluminum small block chevy from world castings. Price would be about the same and would be alot easier to install. They come with a warranty, make more hp & torque. You would not have to figure out dry sump setup, fuel injection, air cleaner, throttle, and computer & accessories. I personally prefer the computer to keep everthing adjust once all tables are setup and adjusted, but it is alot more work and money. The new xfi f.a.s.t setups are going around 2100 and that's no options (knock, nitrous control, adaptor harness, or others).

The LS7 would get alot of WOOO, but I would be impressed with the world castings motor also.

Chuck,

I have become a hardcore fanatic fan of the GEN III and Gen IV smallblocks, and will probably never again build another Gen I smallblock. These engines are a direct bolt-in to in any car that had a smallblock in it originally, and there is a huge aftermarket emerging to serve this swap market. I like to stay with the stock GM ECM and all engine controls. The General really got it right on these engines, and they really work well, makes gobs of horsepower, start every time, and knock down 20 MPG or better. I have been tempted to move over to a FAST or mini Delphi controller, but you lose some of the functions that are very important to me for a car that is really driven a lot. With the stock ECM, I still have knock sensors, fly-by-wire throttle control, transmission control, integrated cruise control and many other functions that I would lose with an aftermarket ECM, and I also have the full diagnostic package that the General supplied to troubleshoot the engine. There is no doubt that you could make more horsepower with an aftermarket setup, but I am past that point in my life. I want a car that is bone-reliable, runs forever with little maintenance, gets decent fuel economy, and will make enough power to scare the poop out of most people. The stock LS1 fills the bill for all of those issues, and the LS2 or LS7 are nothing but icing on the cake. Once you get to where you can boil the rear hides at will, what more is there?
My hotrodding has progressed from where a long trip for me was the 5 mile drive to the Saturday night cruise and the accompanying street racing, to where I can take off at a moments notice for a 1000 mile cross-country jaunt, and an engine that I can count on to get me there and back has become paramount. The factories have finally proved that you do not have to sacrifice power for reliability and economy.

Regards, John McGraw

If you can swing it.....go with the LS7. As Delph said, you won't regret it :_rock . A lot of $$$.....as I already know :L , but worth every dollar.

Brett

John, isn't there a bellhousing difference from the gen I to the LS2?
I belive that this will be the next engine in my '65. Do you have any pics or info?

Frank,
Yes there are some differences in the bellhousing, but I wouldn't consider an old technology trans if I was going with a LS motor.

Thanks John. I really like my Muncie w/Hurst [a big reason that I own the car] but I am kicking and screaming to the reality that I need an overdrive.
Road trip this weekend, tach at 3500-4000 all day.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom