Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Ls7 number or not

DUPH

Corvette
z06
HELLO

Firstly sorrey for the language , I M french from Nantes

i would like to buy a z06 , the seller said to have change the engine for a new one from the corvette plant

the number of this engine is 185104142

if i checked the forum i can see some example like 330682704
04= number of the engien of the production day
7= year
2= ?
068= julian date 9TH march

for the engine 185104142 i don't understand this code

could you help me

do you know if it's really a LS7 engine

thanks a lot

regards

Who was the engine built by? Look for a name label on the top (passengerside.)

Hello-

Indeed there is a language barrier issue here, but if I read your email correctly you have either purchased or are considering purchasing a used Z06.

My assumption is that you are in France trying to buy a car which is here in the United States.

The owner says he's changed the engine and the replacement engine is a GM part number 185104142 which is an LS7 "Crate Engine" sold by GM Parts in the U.S which could be used to replace the original LS7.

That number probably will not appear on the engine if it's been installed. It would have appeared on packaging.

My first advice to you: if you cannot verify the engine is an LS7, do not buy the car.

If you insist on that car, my second advice would be to tell the seller, if he wants to make the sale, that he prove to you beyond a reasonable doubt that the engine he put in that car is an LS7 and that the car, itself, is in fact a Z06.

Have the seller photograph the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the car in a manner which allows you to verify the VIN in the image is the VIN of the car being offered. If the car is truly a Z06 the eighth digit should be an "E".

SO i think that this engine is a LS7 but it's a crate engine From GM

Do you know where is built LS7 CRATE ENGINE because the number is not the same compare to engine productioni nWexam

also do youknow the difference between LS7 Crate engine from GM and engine on the production line

thanks a lot for our answers and next answers

PHILIPPE from FRANCE

ALL LS7's are built @ Wixom PBC. It doesn't matter if the engines go to Bowling Green for installation into new Corvettes or they go to "stock" as crate engines.
The only difference I can glean from the "crate" to the "BG installed" engines is that the crate engines seem to make slightly more torque. I only have seen 2 examples of this, so it may not be in all cases.

Also, you may have luck in contacting the corvette museum for build date/authentication of your suspect engine.

You'll find the serial number of the engine on the front of the block (driver's side in US.)

All LS7s were, are and will be partially hand-built at the "Performance Build Center" in Wixom MI.

There is no significant mechanical differences between the LS7 in an 06-12 Z06 and the LS7 sold by GM Performance Parts as a crate engine.

Two instances of a crate version making more torque than a production version are statistically insignificant. If the difference was small, it's just engine-to-engine variation, lack of equal break-in periods, different fuel sources, different atmospheric conditions or other minor issue. If the difference was "large", it's a problem with inaccurate data.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom