Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: LS7 Oil Pressure

URLUZN

Corvette
2008 Victory Red ZO6, 2011 Silver Grandsport Coupe
My 08Z with 7000 miles, the oil pressure seems to fluctuate quite a bit. I have seen it as low as 26 psi at ~180f oil temperature at idle ~600 rpm. Engine warmed up good and a hot day. I know alot a factors come into play, ie ambient and engine temps, rpm, type of oil, etc. but just curious if others see pressures this low and if there is a concern? Most of the time @ 1500 to 2000rpm range it runs 46 to 50 psi. Higher rpms it will climb to 65+. Using factory Mobil 1.

26 at idle with 180 oil temp is normal. 65 psi at high rpm is normal, too.

Switch to Mobil 1 10W30 from 5W30 and you're engine will love you for it.

26 at idle with 180 oil temp is normal. 65 psi at high rpm is normal, too.

Switch to Mobil 1 10W30 from 5W30 and you're engine will love you for it.

Sounds spot on with my experience - except for the oil. It's Pennzoil Platinum in my 07Z.

Sounds fine. Pretty typical of a GM engine. My C4 with 46,000 mi. is just about right on with your's. Also keep in mind that oil pressure gauges are notoriouly inaccurate, but are usually reasonably close. To be sure you need to take a reading with calibrated external oil pressure gauge, but I doubt you need to go to that extent.

Keep in mind that even 3-5 lbs AT NORMAL IDLE, is about all the lubrication she needs.

It's those "adaptive molecules"...right?
You got it! Mom always said it's good to be adaptive - or was that adoptive???? Oh well, I've always preferred Pennzoil products to Mobil, and they both meet GM's specs.:eek:hnoes

Just to set the record straight~
Pennzoil (as well as Valvoline) are owned by Shell Oil. This means that the technology/chemistry that goes into a bottle of Pennzoil is Shell's. Shell tech is among the best on the planet...bar none.

Years ago, when Pennzoil & Valvoline were private labels, their quality was somewhat questionable. This is NO LONGER THE CASE.

Tribology is my bag...;)

Just to set the record straight~
:boogie

Some of the record "straightening" going on, here, is in some reality distortion field.

Pennzoil (as well as Valvoline) are owned by Shell Oil.
That'll be shocking news to the stockholders and executives of Ashland, Inc. which, the last time I checked (about 30 seconds ago), makes all Valvoline products and owns the brand name.

It is the "Penzoil" and "Quaker State" brands which are owned by Shell Oil Products U.S., which goes by the name "SOPUS". in fact Penzoil and Quaker State containers have "SOPUS Products" printed on their back labels.

Years ago, when Pennzoil & Valvoline were private labels, their quality was somewhat questionable.
Please, post some evidence to support your claim that Valvoline had or has "somewhat questionable" quality.

Simply using the sig line...
Tribology is my bag...;)
...is, in my opinion, not credible evidence.

Years ago, when Pennzoil & Valvoline were private labels, their quality was somewhat questionable. This is NO LONGER THE CASE.

Tribology is my bag...;)

Who was questioning Pennzoil quality? Never heard that in the racing community. It wasn't private label. It was a stand-alone company that made its' own products.

I don't know when Shell acquired the assets of Quaker State and Penzoil, but either way, when Quaker State and Penzoil were "standalone" companies or after Shell Oil acquired the brands, I'm unaware that those two products ever had "problems" with quality.

I'm also unaware of any quality problems with Valvoline's products.

That said, as the author of a number of recent technical articles on engine oil--one here on CAC, in fact, at Engine Oil Deep Dive --I'd like to know more concrete information about poor quality lubricants being marketed by the Quaker State, Penzoil or Valvoline brands.

How 'bout it "NORTY"?
You made the claim, perhaps you could back-up the claim with some facts?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom