Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: LT1/bigblock hood

locks

Corvette
1980 L48 4 speed rusty piece of crap:)
Well now that my 80s birdcage is s*** I'm thinking of going in a different direction with whats left. I'm thinking of finding an 73 up convertible back half and mating it to the 80 front end rear bumper cover and interior. A what if car. I'm thinking a convertible LT1 with factory side pipes. Question is does anyone make a LT1 long hood?

Not to my knowledge. You might try Eckler's. Remember: convertible and coupe birdcages are different, When buying your body parts, look for a convertible windshield header.
:)

Not to my knowledge. You might try Eckler's. Remember: convertible and coupe birdcages are different, When buying your body parts, look for a convertible windshield header.

Are you saying I can't strip my 80 getting rid of the fire wall back then join the 80 parts to a convertible fire wall back? Then I figured just installing a 80 rear bumper cover.

Doesn't say it's a long hood. 68-72 = short hood.

Apparently there's a new LT-1 long style available... see center description.
So there ya go!!!

At $425, I'm sure it's a hand-laid hood - not press molded... but it's still a great price.

Ralph :D

3044072939_bb75cbc0eb_o.jpg

Are you saying I can't strip my 80 getting rid of the fire wall back then join the 80 parts to a convertible fire wall back? Then I figured just installing a 80 rear bumper cover.

There's a little more to it. Coupe and convertible doors and door glasses are different. You have a pair of coupe doors. They will work on the convertible but you will have to swap out the door glasses with convertible door glasses if you want to run a folding top or the optional hard top on your convertible.

Your convertible half should include the decklid and the decklid springs. These could be added to the coupe body, but it would be less work if they were included with the body half.

68-75 doghouses do not mount quite the same as the one on your '80. If you want to use the 80 doghouse on your convertible, you will need all the assorted '80 bracketry and the inner fender panels.

Original 68-72 fiberglass is press molded and used polyester resin and bonding compound. All the GM body panels on your '80 are SMC. To bond the two types of fiberglass, you will need bonding compound which is compatible with both types.

My advice would be to purchase the 1980 assembly instruction manual (AIM) and the AIM for the year of your convertible donor. Compare the various parts and assembly of the two bodies. You'll get an idea of where you're headed.

Apparently there's a new LT-1 long style available... see center description.
So there ya go!!!

At $425, I'm sure it's a hand-laid hood - not press molded... but it's still a great price.

Ralph :D

3044072939_bb75cbc0eb_o.jpg

Sweet always like that hood.

There's a little more to it. Coupe and convertible doors and door glasses are different. You have a pair of coupe doors. They will work on the convertible but you will have to swap out the door glasses with convertible door glasses if you want to run a folding top or the optional hard top on your convertible.

Your convertible half should include the decklid and the decklid springs. These could be added to the coupe body, but it would be less work if they were included with the body half.

68-75 doghouses do not mount quite the same as the one on your '80. If you want to use the 80 doghouse on your convertible, you will need all the assorted '80 bracketry and the inner fender panels.

Original 68-72 fiberglass is press molded and used polyester resin and bonding compound. All the GM body panels on your '80 are SMC. To bond the two types of fiberglass, you will need bonding compound which is compatible with both types.

My advice would be to purchase the 1980 assembly instruction manual (AIM) and the AIM for the year of your convertible donor. Compare the various parts and assembly of the two bodies. You'll get an idea of where you're headed.

Geez, I didn't know there was such a difference. But I was thinking of getting a complete back half with doors,glass etc... then bolt it on my frame and install my front clip. I can see where the interior could get more difficult. Dash,door panels. Seat shoud bolt in.

Geez, I didn't know there was such a difference. But I was thinking of getting a complete back half with doors,glass etc... then bolt it on my frame and install my front clip. I can see where the interior could get more difficult. Dash,door panels. Seat shoud bolt in.

don't forget the gas tank to LOL. It will be easier for you to fix your birdcage and buy a vert rear decklid and bond it onto your 1980 then to make everything frpm your 80 to work on a 74-75 body.

73 was a steele rear bumper so if you manage to get your 80 rear bumper to mount that I wanna see. there was a guy on here whose 80 or 81 convertible used a 74-75 cowl back I think.

don't forget the gas tank to LOL. It will be easier for you to fix your birdcage and buy a vert rear decklid and bond it onto your 1980 then to make everything frpm your 80 to work on a 74-75 body.

73 was a steele rear bumper so if you manage to get your 80 rear bumper to mount that I wanna see. there was a guy on here whose 80 or 81 convertible used a 74-75 cowl back I think.

I knew a 73 was steel rear bumper. Brain fart. To be honest I'm thinking of parting it out. I could make my money back easy. The more I look at it the more I'm thinking I'm wasting my money. There is a 1980 4 speed black with oyster I think for 8000 right here in the for sale section. It'll cost me more than that in time and money fixing the body and puttin an interior in it. It was a recovered theft that had the interior and extior vandalized. Was easy peazy put together till I found the rust.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom