Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 - 1st to 4th Gear Shift Fix

1996 LT4 Topic

Silverfox1

Corvette
1995 Red ZR-1
I already have a '96 LT4 coupe, but will be purchasing a vert (10,000mi) that has the factory original shift setting for "emissions"-what a joke. My coupe has the fix & works beautifully.

What is the procedure to eliminate this 1st to 4th shift sequence, so it can shift to 2nd without any restriction? I've heard terms before like a "jumper relay", but how do you do it? I believe some C5s also had this "problem."

THANKS!:beer

:happyanim:Simple fix Corvette Central $ 17.50 plugs in the line no tools even comes with a plastic tie. Mine has it works great:w

Even simpler fix, just un-plug it.

Just unplugging it will set a code, it will think the solenoid coil is open. The Eliminator Kits have a resistor that mimics the coil resistance, fooling the controller.

Three ways you can disable skip shift:

1) On 89-95, just unplug the skip shift solenoid on the side of the trans
2) On 96-13, install a skip shift eliminator, available from CAC sponsor Zip Products and other aftermarket sources.
3) on 89-13 get an aftermarket calibration which has the skip shift function disabled.

Also, you can avoid skip shift without spending any money if you learn to drive though it. Most people who get skip shift regularly, are very easy drivers (like they have a goldfish bowl on the seat) and always short shift out of first. That's really not the way to drive a Corvette. If you accelerate just a tiny bit more aggressively and hold the 1-2 shift a little longer, like a sports car should be driven; you'll reduce the number of skip shift intrusions to almost nothing.

On the three Vettes I have with that feature, only one, a 95, has it disabled in the calibration and I really didn't ask for it to be done, the guy just did it. The other two, an '04 and a '12, have skip shift functional but it rarely enables. If it does, no biggie, I just shift to fourth. If I'm driving in a manner that allows skip shift to enable, the extra gas mileage won't hurt.

Lastly, a little history...skip shift has nothing to do with exhaust emissions. It was developed for the late C4 six-speed as a way to gain fuel economy and meet the CAFE standards of the day. It's still used mainly for that reason on Corvette and other V8 cars with manuals. A secondary benefit was that it allowed the Corvette to meet the pass-by noise standard in California and other states which observe that standard. Up until the advent of the C6 dual-mode exhaust, that was another important reason for skip shift. In short, the test required the car to start out in first, shift to the next highest gear then accelerate at WOT past the microphones. A smart Corvette engineer bamboozled the California Highway Patrol into accepting the idea that since skip shift made fourth the next highest gear, they could pass by the mics at WOT, low rpm in fourth rather than high-rpm in second.

Pretty sharp thinking if you ask me.

I appreciate the much-maligned skip shift because it's allowed us to have high-performance Corvettes without guzzler (well...other than C6 ZR-1s) and to have less restrictive exhausts.

Just unplugging it will set a code, it will think the solenoid coil is open. The Eliminator Kits have a resistor that mimics the coil resistance, fooling the controller.

I have had both cars unplugged, the green car since 1999, and have never set a code.

I do agree with Hib, the easiest way, without unplugging anything, is drive the car a little more agressively. You really only have to get the car to about 20 MPH in first to be able
to shift to second.

Three ways you can disable skip shift:

1) On 89-95, just unplug the skip shift solenoid on the side of the trans
2) On 96-13, install a skip shift eliminator, available from CAC sponsor Zip Products and other aftermarket sources.
3) on 89-13 get an aftermarket calibration which has the skip shift function disabled.

Also, you can avoid skip shift without spending any money if you learn to drive though it. Most people who get skip shift regularly, are very easy drivers (like they have a goldfish bowl on the seat) and always short shift out of first. That's really not the way to drive a Corvette. If you accelerate just a tiny bit more aggressively and hold the 1-2 shift a little longer, like a sports car should be driven; you'll reduce the number of skip shift intrusions to almost nothing.

On the three Vettes I have with that feature, only one, a 95, has it disabled in the calibration and I really didn't ask for it to be done, the guy just did it. The other two, an '04 and a '12, have skip shift functional but it rarely enables. If it does, no biggie, I just shift to fourth. If I'm driving in a manner that allows skip shift to enable, the extra gas mileage won't hurt.

Lastly, a little history...skip shift has nothing to do with exhaust emissions. It was developed for the late C4 six-speed as a way to gain fuel economy and meet the CAFE standards of the day. It's still used mainly for that reason on Corvette and other V8 cars with manuals. A secondary benefit was that it allowed the Corvette to meet the pass-by noise standard in California and other states which observe that standard. Up until the advent of the C6 dual-mode exhaust, that was another important reason for skip shift. In short, the test required the car to start out in first, shift to the next highest gear then accelerate at WOT past the microphones. A smart Corvette engineer bamboozled the California Highway Patrol into accepting the idea that since skip shift made fourth the next highest gear, they could pass by the mics at WOT, low rpm in fourth rather than high-rpm in second.

Pretty sharp thinking if you ask me.

I appreciate the much-maligned skip shift because it's allowed us to have high-performance Corvettes without guzzler (well...other than C6 ZR-1s) and to have less restrictive exhausts.

First, want to thank all of you for the information & advice. I'm a reasonably aggressive driver, so going past 20 in 1st isn't a problem. BUT, just in case, where is the connection to insert the skip eliminator?

Thanks!

:beer

:beer It is on the side of the transmission. Can't miss it. Kit comes with two sided plug and little plastic tie very easy and you get No Codes:w

You'll probably find that the "one-to-four" light still comes on even though skip shift is disabled.

:w If the light comes on something is not right It is grounding out check an see if a wire is bare:beer

:w If the light comes on something is not right It is grounding out check an see if a wire is bare:beer

BS... The light WILL come on telling you to shift 1-4. It doesn't know that 2-3 is available to you...:thumb

:happyanim:Oh Oh I did some thing wroNg . The shift light DOES NOT come on. Maybe I followed the directions wrong:ugh Tape the open end??

Last edited:
My Solution

What I do which requires no work, fixes or part mods is if I feel it directing me to 4th is to simply shift up into 3rd and down to 2nd as one fluid move or to take it to 20MPH and it has never been an issue Monte in Alachua
I already have a '96 LT4 coupe, but will be purchasing a vert (10,000mi) that has the factory original shift setting for "emissions"-what a joke. My coupe has the fix & works beautifully.

What is the procedure to eliminate this 1st to 4th shift sequence, so it can shift to 2nd without any restriction? I've heard terms before like a "jumper relay", but how do you do it? I believe some C5s also had this "problem."

THANKS!:beer

1st to 4th

:happyanim:It is an easy fix ten minutes Corvette Central $ 17.95 kit. Simple unplug and plug this jumper in, done. May need a lift or at least 12' ramps.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom