Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 Clutch Replacement

1996 LT4 Topic

Jman

Corvette
Runs Like A Scalded Cat LT4 CE
I'm in the process of planning for a new clutch - I've already purchased a stock GM pressure plate, clutch and throwout bearing for a stock vehicle. Question is what else should I consider while I'm (the mechanic) is in there with the car on the rack?

Jman,
I’ve read that if you are replacing a clutch, it is a good idea to replace the slave cylinder at the same time (I can’t remember if there is a master cylinder to replace as well). Preventative maintenance was the reason for swapping out the old, even though they may not show signs of wear/leaks.

B17Crew
:w

Since you have all the parts just about ready to reassemble, change out the fork and ball socket. Use copper anti-seize in the pivot and plunger hole.

I'm thinking about repacing my clutch too

Hi Jman,

In the last week my clutch has started to make this ticking noise whenever I push it in all the way?? Sometimes it ticks and sometimes it sounds just fine, I'm woundering exactly what's making the noise?? I've noticed the ticking noise isn't constant, it's almost like a certain part of the flywheel is catching or something.... This car is a daily driver and is due for a clutch replacement anyway, it has 101,000 miles. Can you tell me where is a good place to purchase a clutch kit? Thanks in advance, :w

Jim "Vette96ce"

Where?

I got mine from a local guy in the Dallas area who works on vettes and f-bodies. Paid about $275 - don't know what the internet/retail cost for these go for so I can't be of much help unless you are in North Dallas.

To the original question, replace the pilot bearing too (it's in the back of the crank) and have the flywheel turned. Otherwise you may get the ticking noise and chatter upon clutch engagement while driving. The later question of ticking noise; it is usually a bent finger in the clutch. When the pilot bearing goes, it sounds much like a loose rod or wrist-pin (more of a clunk-clunk) and is very disturbing too. The fork and ball are very cheap compared to the labor and other parts, so why not? Don't know the layout of the slave cylinder. On most cars it's outside the clutch housing and would offer no savings to do at the same time. But, the slave cylinder could cause clutch failure due to poor disengagement so it would be good insurance to replace it too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom