Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 Corvette info

1996 LT4 Topic

tntcorvette

So my '85 is sold and I am currently weighing my options for my next Corvette. I really like the idea of owning a LT4. Either a base LT4 coupe with zero options or a collector edition coupe.

What are the known problems with these cars?

If I get a LT4, I plan on modding it, and keeping the original parts. My tentative plan is to purchase a LT4 top end kit with AFR LT4 eliminator heads, edelbrock LT4 air gap intake, throttle body, cam/valve train, headers, exhaust and pcm. Looking to get ~450 crank h/p and I feel that is a realistic number to reach.

Oh, and of course a set of wheels too!

The other contenders are the LT5 and a LS1 Corvette.

Come on LT4 people, convince me to purchase this car!

:upthumbs

I had and enjoyed my past LT4...

...frame flex, temp controller, squeaks and possible optispark problems were the issues that moved me to the next generation. :w

th_04ntheSmokyMountains.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/cyal8tr/04ntheSmokyMountains.jpg

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

i agree 100%

I have never driven a C5, plus the power options are ALOT more than the entire C4 platform.

Most likely I will jump to the C5 platform.

I’d consider a ’01-’02 Z06 over all if you are looking for a all out speed/handling. ’01-’02 Z06s can now be had for a song and there is a good selection of speed upgrades out there for the C5. I’ve seen the ’01s priced from $25-27 thousand. That’s fairly reasonably for the amount of performance right out of the box.

Speaking as a LT4 owner, I have one complaint, I’ve never been impressed with the life span of the OEM weather stripping. Other than that, it’s been the most reliable Corvette I’ve owned to this day. Never an issue with the Opti, soon to be 12 years old and runs like new (knock on wood :L).

You can’t compare the LT4 and C5 chassis, they’re apples and oranges, newer technology should be superior.

As for base performance, last C5 I drove was a ’99 six-speed coupe, it was nice, but didn’t strike me as being faster than my LT4. My best 1/4 mile with my bone stock LT4 (all but for the K&N filter) was 13.2 @ 107. This was with a full tank of gas, 30 psi in the stock Eagle GS-Cs and about 890 ft elevation. A properly driven LT4 will scoot.

I haven’t driven a ’00-’04 LS1 C5, I imagine that they should run faster than a LT4, stock for stock.

As for the ZR-1, I regard them as works of art, it has the best looking engine put into a Corvette IMHO, the proportions of the Z are beautiful. I know the BB guys would probably like to beat me senseless for uttering the above, but the ZR-1 is my dream car. I would price modifying a Z, and be concerned about locating someone who knows exactly what they are doing.

A C5 seems to be the best place to land. I don’t think I promoted the LT4 very well. :ugh

Good luck on your hunt!
B17Crew
:w

I agree with just about all the above.

If the C4 look and feel is what you really want, then the LT4 or LT5 are the way to go. I've owned 2 C4's, one with an LT4 (CE Z51) and a 92 LT1 which I converted to an LT4+.

I rank the straight line performance of the LT4 with any LS1 out there. I had the opportunity to play with several C5s and found the driver made the difference as to who got to the end of the race first.

When it comes to handling, the C5 wins in my opinion. The C4 has more flex and requires a different driving style to get the most out of it. Then again, that can be a lot of fun.

The real answer has to come from you and it relates to what you really want and what you want to spend.

If you haven't checked out the forums at the Grand Sport Registry, you might want to check them out www.grandsportregistry.com, I'm sure you'll get lots a reasons why the LT4 is the car to have from them.

If I had more money and more room in my garage, I'd still have my modified 92. But.......

the C5 is very very attractive, but at the end of the day, it is a "plain" C5 Corvette. I think in the long run a '96 LT4 or any ZR1 will hold value better in the long run.

I need to take a LT4 and a LS1 on a test drive and see what happens.

I'll keep everyone updated.

My only issue with a C4 is the weatherstripping. The good news is the GM stuff is still available. A little pricey, but it fits and works beautifully!

I have owned three new C4s. 92 auto, 94 auto and 96 CE LT4. All three Vettes were built well and 100% dependable. My LT4 was a screamer from the factory and is now pushing about 400 HP at the crank without breaking into the engine. I am going to be keeping my LT4 for quite a few more miles. Check my signature for a running total of daily driven miles!

BTW, put on 3,000 miles between June 22 and July 10 this summer. Averaged 28.5 MPG. Not bad for a world class performance sports car, huh?

SAVE THE :w
[/FONT]

I have never driven a C5, plus the power options are ALOT more than the entire C4 platform.
I'm not sure what that means? The C4 had power ranging from 205hp to 405hp. The C5, 345hp to 405hp. The C4 had 5 different engine designations available, the C5 had two.

If you mean there is more aftermarket, I'd think that's debatable. There is a lot of aftermarket for the original smallblock Chevy. The LSx also has a lot.

I think the only way it might be superior is if you mean cost to reach a certain hp goal. If the power goal is fairly high, the LSx motor is probably the best bet for reaching it, and doing it for the least cost.

"'96 LT4 or any ZR1 will hold value better in the long run."

YEP - I think the Grand Sport's & 1995 ZR-1's will be the most collectible C4's.​

YEP - I think the Grand Sport's & 1995 ZR-1's will be the most collectible C4's.​

They built a Brazillion C5s so I’m not sure of future value. As to performance, my LT4 beats my C5. Also, I have to say the looks of my LT4 stands up to my C5. At least, I think so! Just took the chrome ZO6 replica wheels of the LT4 and put on Argent silver 2002 OEM wheels with GY EMT tires. Less bling makes the old girl stand out! Again, IMHO.

I'm not sure what that means? The C4 had power ranging from 205hp to 405hp. The C5, 345hp to 405hp. The C4 had 5 different engine designations available, the C5 had two.

If you mean there is more aftermarket, I'd think that's debatable. There is a lot of aftermarket for the original smallblock Chevy. The LSx also has a lot.

I think the only way it might be superior is if you mean cost to reach a certain hp goal. If the power goal is fairly high, the LSx motor is probably the best bet for reaching it, and doing it for the least cost.

I am refering to after market bolt on parformance kits and support. APS twin turbo kits, superchargers (c4s have them), bolt on's, etc. Plus here in the Chicago area, the tuners only do LSX cars and DFI. Nothing else.

It will be easier to get say 500 hp out of a LSX than any C4 ever made, excluding nitrous of course. There definetly is alot of aftermarket stuff for hte original small block chevy too.

It will be easier to get say 500 hp out of a LSX than any C4 ever made, excluding nitrous of course. There definetly is alot of aftermarket stuff for hte original small block chevy too.
If you factor in the cost of the car, 500hp at the wheels might still be within the C4's favor. 400's probably definitely favors the C4 in terms of cost. You probably have $5-10k of difference in the price of the base car to start with if you go C4 vs C5, which can buy a fair bit of power. :beer

If you factor in the cost of the car, 500hp at the wheels might still be within the C4's favor. 400's probably definitely favors the C4 in terms of cost. You probably have $5-10k of difference in the price of the base car to start with if you go C4 vs C5, which can buy a fair bit of power. :beer

Well said. I just do nto see any long term kind of value in the early C5 cars...maybe I am wrong...who knows! I'de like to get a ZR1 but the idea of parts and working on the car concerns me so much that it is becoming a distant choice every day.

Time will tell.

I don't think you need to do a head swap to get 450 crank hp from an LT4. Just a mild port and a lumpy enough cam.
The tranny is not as beefy in the LT4 as the earlier LT1 cars. The ZF is rated for 400ft lbs or something llike that and the T56 from the Z28s and C5s is much stronger. I think it is essentially the tranny out of the Viper.
I just replaced the tranny on my C4 but was lucky enough to find a brand new replacement for $1500.00. It isn't brittle like a T5 but if you were planning to do a lot of track time it is something to consider. Lots of guys say the ZF is fine for the track but mine chucked at 23k miles with gears/headers/hotcam and I was not hard on her. With my Z06 and Z28 I thrashed those cars much harder.
To me the biggest reasons to go C5 are the handling and the updated interior.
I went back and forth a lot between my 96 and my 01 and the old one pretty much was a straight line car. In base suspension trim the C5 feels a lot lighter and tighter.

LT4 vs. C5

<<the C5 is very very attractive, but at the end of the day, it is a "plain" C5 Corvette. I think in the long run a '96 LT4 or any ZR1 will hold value better in the long run.

I need to take a LT4 and a LS1 on a test drive and see what happens.

I'll keep everyone updated.>>

<<They built a Brazillion C5s so I’m not sure of future value>>

Very true. In my view the C5 will be the forgotten generation. It was a short run that built to many vehicles and the C6 improvements quickly dated the C5.
Again; IMO, the 1996 is a nicer looking car and the LT4 will indeed prove collectible as it is adding $2000-$2500 to resale values today. Of course you will spend considerably more for a C5 today and they have not stopped depreciating. Select; fine condition C4's are now begining to appreciate.
I will hold my fine condition 1996 CE LT4 and perhaps pick up a 2008 a few years down the road as the improvements for 2008 are noteworthy. The C6 is such a fine car that I expect they will hold up into the future, particularly if the C7 comes in radically different in 2010

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom