Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 Floor Pan Scuff

1996 LT4 Topic

Jman

Corvette
Runs Like A Scalded Cat LT4 CE
We all know these things sit low to the ground and as much as we can help it try to avoid the inevitable "bumps" in the road that can bottom these things out. I noticed the other day a good gouge in the corner of the driver side floorpan the other day. There is a plate that covers part of the front but it didn't extend to the corner to help it whenever it was hit. And the floorpan seems to be fiberglass right there. I can't imagine I'm the first to damage that floorpan - tell me others have done it and what I can expect or do to patch it.

You can fix it yourself. First, take the carpet off on the driver's side. You must fix the inside first. You can buy the 2 part epoxy. LORD is one of the manufacturers. You also need fiberglass mesh cloth. If you go to LORD's website, they'll give you more details.
You may need to take that plate off in order to give you room to work with. It looks harder than it really is. Be patient and you can do it.

I had two small holes, one on each side near the corner. I put doubled fibercloth on both the outside and inside, and used Gray Marine Tex (per other posts on CAC, search on fiberglass repair). To prepare the surfaces for bonding, I cleaned off the dirt, wire brushed with a wheel on a drill, blew off dust with compressed air, vacuumed, and rinsed with 100% isopropyl alcohol (I think you can get 90% at the drugstore).

Wire brushing exposed cracks that went way past the original holes. Just extend the cloth/epoxy a few inches past any crack and you should be good. I took out the speakers and an x-brace underneath for better access. A droplight sped up the cure by heating, as I had to drive it home from the auto club at work. I might sand it later and give it another coat.

If I had to do it over, I would do it at home in the driveway, and pick an epoxy with a longer working time (>30 minutes) so it wouldn't have been a little rushed.

Check your passenger side closely for cracks, while you have everything there for the job.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom