Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT5 Secondary Chain Tensioner

mikek307

Corvette
65 B C, 74 R Conv, 91 B ZR1,96 GS, 86 Racer
In replaceing my 375hp LT5 with 405 hp Lt5 noticed that left cam tensioner cover was missing. Pull the one off the old motor turned crank to lowspot, but tensioner cover won't bolt down. Question is how do you replace cover with out special tool.

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
why would you be doing this?

I sold my old C4 race car and bought the '91 Zr1 to gut and race, but drove it on a road trip and decided to keep it some what streetable. The guy i bought it from never turned on the valet key, the injectors were bad, the plemnum was full of carbon, had the orginal wires at 80K, etc., plus the car looked like it had been cleaned with Simple Green and a Brillo pad. Did poly bushing, links, swaybars, shocks lowered, brakes 410 gears, shifeter, prom etc. The engine kept fouling the #8 plug with anti freeze so I put in a 405 hp that I had bought (also bought and extra long block) the engine was missing the left head sec. chain tensioner. Book show special tool, but we are not crazy about pulling the motor back out and pulling front end off. Know someone knows simple way to position sec chain as to not break cast cover and tensioner.

I wa just wondering why you were pulling the motor. But since if you have a good reason I'm not going to try and talk you out of it. Wish I could be more help

4DSZR1 said:
You interested in selling your old engine?

It's available, right now I'm concentrating on getting the car finished. We have a road race against the Cobras and SVT's on June the 24th. I have a shipping crate that looking for a new home.

You cannot reset the tensioner unless you have the special tool to do it and the tool to do it was not widly distributed to dealers. Generally, if the tensioner is expanded (because the top is missing) you need to replace the tensioner.

Hib Halverson said:
You cannot reset the tensioner unless you have the special tool to do it and the tool to do it was not widly distributed to dealers. Generally, if the tensioner is expanded (because the top is missing) you need to replace the tensioner.

Thanks for your reply, I had ordered a new tensioner and installed it. Having worked on a lot of hyd. valve bodies with similar pistons I was quite frustrated at not being able to collaspe it. Life is a very sharp learning curve.
Thanks again
Mike k

It is, indeed, frustrating that the cam chain tensioner retracting tool is not widely available. I've owned a ZR-1 for 11 years. I've worked with them and written about them extensively, but I've only seen one of those tools in the whole 11 years.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom