Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LTPWS question

Some of you may know I have a highly modified 89 and every time I would exceed 175 mph the LPWS would light up.
They worked fine as long as I drove less than 175.
I bought new wider rims and tires and did not install the bands on the new wheels.
I sold 4 of them about a year ago but have 2 spares left.
I don't remember what color they were but I know they are around here somewhere.
If anyone is interested in them let me know.
All I remember is they are different colors.

Are there any sources for LTPWS components besides the recylcing places?

The T-Sport is setting the LTPWS Service light all the time on start and some times it goes out after driving a mile or so. Sometimes not.

Of course, tire pressures are good.

Check with Tire Rack - I read here someplace they had bought out and relabeled the GM sensors, if you know the year and sensor color tha could tell the tale.

You will want to hang onto your TPS and the counter-balanced mounting bands, so don't throw them away. If you do decide to throw them away, throw them to me in Colorado if they came out of a 93-96 vette. As you know by now, there are no after market TPS systems available ( I know as I checked everywhere) and GM has probably depleted their stock. I know when my left front went out, I had to purchase used. I was able to purchase from GM the right rear new, but that was two years ago. If you do go after the used ones, and if Junk is successful, make sure that you get the proper ones. GM changed the sensors in 93 and the pre 93s won't work in the 93 to 96 models and visa versa. I posted a chart several years ago with each part number and label color in the CAC forum. Each wheel has a different pressure sensor, they are not interchangeable. If you remove your TPS from the car entirely, you will have to remove the bulb in the DIC or remove the fuse for the cruise control as they operate in the same circuits. I suggest that you wait for Junk to get you the proper ones. Also, I noticed that one of our members is still offering used ones.
Good luck
Barrett
My 91 had a bad left front sensor read the code to know which one and the light came on after 5 or so minutes of driving. I changed tires and had them all removed and no light now after driving about an hour and one half at 70 mph. If I had to make an educated guess I would have to say the system works on rpm comparison rather than direct pressure. So if they are all zero no problem no light.. I still have the other 3 good sensors and maybe should post them in the FS section..
dave

My 91 had a bad left front sensor read the code to know which one and the light came on after 5 or so minutes of driving. I changed tires and had them all removed and no light now after driving about an hour and one half at 70 mph. If I had to make an educated guess I would have to say the system works on rpm comparison rather than direct pressure. So if they are all zero no problem no light.. I still have the other 3 good sensors and maybe should post them in the FS section..
dave

Can you list the part nos and color and wheel designations of the sensors you have (maybe even pics). I believe they're compatible with my 89's.
Thanks

Can you list the part nos and color and wheel designations of the sensors you have (maybe even pics). I believe they're compatible with my 89's.
Thanks
I have the following off a 91 L98 Coupe
All housing are Black with colored plasic insert with part # etc..

GM parts book says they are 89 to 92
10098494 blue RF complete OK
10098495 green LF sensor BAD band and weight OK
10098496 orange RR complete OK
10098497 yellow LR complete OK

I can get a pic if you really need it beyond this sdescription but i promise they are pristine... only 67 k on the car.. It is an automatic and other than a clean up for driver being a slob and needing a new radio the car is a very nice driver it will never be a show car though at least not with my budget. I like the car just not the Vette of my dreams to be candid. If it was a late C4 vert marron with saddle interior witha six speed low miles the money would be flowing a lot faster..

Dave

No pic needed. I think I have an extra good green sensor
I had to buy to get the band and weight. Interested? At least you;d have a working set then.

No pic needed. I think I have an extra good green sensor
I had to buy to get the band and weight. Interested? At least you;d have a working set then.

Bahh I was wrong - I have an extra orange sensor.
Before you trash your sensors, be certain your green sensor is really bad.
I had a band break and the sensor flo[[ed around inside the tire for GOK how long before I replaced the tires. The band was trashed and the sensor in pieces. I re-assembled the sensor pieces and checked it and it was still working. I then bought another differend sensor to get a band and weight. No problems since.

If you can re-assemble the sensor parts here's how to check it out:

While driving have someone vigorously shake the sensor (for as much as 2.5 minutwa). If the sensor is working you'll get both alarms - Low Tire Pressure, and CHK LTPWS. If so - the sensor is working OK.

I had occasion to speak with the engineer who designed the sensors and he told me they were nearly indistructable.

It might be worth a try.

Bahh I was wrong - I have an extra orange sensor.
Before you trash your sensors, be certain your green sensor is really bad.
I had a band break and the sensor flo[[ed around inside the tire for GOK how long before I replaced the tires. The band was trashed and the sensor in pieces. I re-assembled the sensor pieces and checked it and it was still working. I then bought another differend sensor to get a band and weight. No problems since.

If you can re-assemble the sensor parts here's how to check it out:

While driving have someone vigorously shake the sensor (for as much as 2.5 minutwa). If the sensor is working you'll get both alarms - Low Tire Pressure, and CHK LTPWS. If so - the sensor is working OK.

I had occasion to speak with the engineer who designed the sensors and he told me they were nearly indistructable.

It might be worth a try.
I might try that but the code came up every time i drove the car and the sensor looks perfect like the others that do not throw codes.. Possibly whatever does the transmit to the controler is broken or the recieve on the controller for left front not working. I am not interested in completeling the set but selling the other 3 I know work..
Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom