Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lug nut

norwegianvette

Corvette
1993 Aqua Convertible
Hi. Have the original safety lug nuts and the tool is busted. Have only one more bolt and cant get it off. Any ideas how to get the tire off the car as i am change to new wheels.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi. Have the original safety lug nuts and the tool is busted. Have only one more bolt and cant get it off. Any ideas how to get the tire off the car as i am change to new wheels.

Thanks,

Steve

If there is a tire/wheel dealer in the area they should have a tool to do this. It's just a socket thats made of very hard steel that they beat on the lug-nut with a hammer then unscrew as usual. Sometimes a good quality impact socket will also work but you risk breaking it or deforming the socket..

Next time, buy a set of 'gorilla-nuts' :chuckle ...these have a code number that you can save and use to order a replacement "key" if the original is lost. They come with a sticker that has your code number that you put in the glove box or console.

Weld another nut to the striped safety nut and while it's hot take it off with your lug wrench. Protect you wheels while welding.

Thanks,

Steve

I have no idea what a "safety lug nut" is but if you are talking about the factory wheel locks, there should have been a card along with your owner's manual package which a code on it and an address in the U.S. to which you can mail order a replacement lock key.

The other choice is the tire shop tool mentioned above that gets pounded on the nut.

I would not use the welding idea. If you spatter welding rod onto the aluminum wheel, you ruin the wheel's finish.

I would not use the welding idea is like saying you would not drive the car because you might wreck. Anyone that welds knows that weld will spatter and you shield those things that it can damage from that spatter (especially glass), plus ground the car. It is not the only answer to a problem but it is an answer to a striped out, and at times, rusted on wheel nut, lock or otherwise.

In this case he has 4 problems waiting on him and most likely his best path of correction is to obtain the proper tool for when the other three need attention.

It's not internet lore, I've done it, didn't damage the wheels, nor did I burn the car or the building it was in.

Think and work safely when you do any task, which includes driving.

Thank you guys. I used a 24 mm socket and hammered it in. Then it came out easy as that. This was the final one as i did all tires and the tool lasted for thre and caused my problem. As a nice to know i want to add that the pin securing the front brakes can be replaced with a bolt and a locing nut. I dont know with you boys but i had a big problem installing new pads in the front using the springs on top. To make it rattle less i used a stainless steal bolt with a locking nut in stead and it workes grate.

Thanks for addvices which all worked grate, i did not use the welding one as i am very consern regarding all the electronic in the car.

Regards,
Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom