Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MAACO PAINT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im sure most of the people that actually do the work are good at what they do.
Problems arise when the company they are working at only gives you so much to work with to save a buck. Commercial paint shops are in it for cash flow purposes and thats about it. they seem to really want insurance claim work more than a guy with a classice auto.
I would bet given the proper tools and paint and such, a guy who has to work at a commercial place (until a small custom paint shop job comes around), he could do an excellent job on any given day.
However, if my kids "beater" were to need a facelift, i would go to Maaco and get a cheap job as opposed to going to the best shop in town for custom paint.
Just my 2 cents....
Chas:cool

Just dropped off my 85 vette to get repainted black at MAACO. There are quite a few repairs needed, the total came to $1600.00, they are charging me an extra $100 for the extra taping they have to do.

They had a few vehicles outside that were finished and they looked good, for a neon and a toyota pickup. They had a photo album of a bunch of cars, a few vettes and some show cars. They have a paint drying booth or oven, so they should get good results. Will let you know how it turns out, should get it back in 10 days.

Boeingman is right on the money! I've learned the hard way twice!!! ;shrug

I would not give them a tricycle to paint.

I had Maaco paint an old Mustang of mine... it looked like they did a good job, but I can't tell you anything about how well it stood up over time, as I sold the vehicle a couple of months later. You should be okay as long as you do your homework.

Doug

There have been several posters from the Houston area...

Which paint shop did you Houston guys use, I need to get my driver painted.

Thanx,

Scott

P.S. sorry for the minor post hijack

Back in high school (a zillion years ago), I changed the color of my 71 Camaro from the Z-28 red/black stripes to Regal blue. I did ALL the prep work. It took basically the entire summer before my senior year, including body work, welding, removal of lights, bumpers, grill, spoiler, priming, wet sanding, etc., and ALL the masking. I also added a fiberglass L-88 hood.... this was very cool-looking back in the summer of 1980.

I worked out a deal with a local Maaco shop. I purchased the paint and they agreed to shoot it for me. So with alsmost everything removed, we left my parent's house and with a bunch of friends carvaned my car and theirs to the Maaco shop. I completed my masking at the shop. They shot the paint, and baked it on. It turned out fantastic, and I had the coolest in high school. It was always cool when an adult would say something like, "your dad has a nice car...", etc.

Well, that was my experience. While it turned out great, not sure I would chance it with the Vette.:eek:hnoes

Nelson-best of luck with the paint. Post pics after ya get it back! The name on the sign isn't that important-it's the shop. Research the shop before they do your paint job. I did , I'm glad I did, and the MAACO that did my paint did great work. This doesn't mean another one elsewhere will do as well, nor does it mean they can't achieve the same results. Look at some of their finished product waiting for pick-up.

DSC01125.jpg

Just got my 85 vette back from maaco. It looks great. They fixed some cracks and the paint is like glass. The rear bumper with "corvette" on the back looked old and crappy so I told them to paint over it and now it is all black and looks better than new. All black on the rear makes it look alot better with just the contrast of the red tailights.

Here is a picture of my MAACO paint, its the black one. After a year still looks good. See for yourself, its the black one. I am porting the crossfire for the bronze one now to keep up with the TPI.
IMG_1678.jpg

I had a friend do one in Portland ,Maine and it's a show winner.I feel strongly that each Maaco shop is going to differ .I don't know where you live in Canada but in New Brunswick i've seen some of the best paint jobs in my life.

:boogie

Get referrals and then check them out. Ask local sellers of Vettes where they get their work done. New and used car dealers. I believe the fiberglass body requires special knowledge to do it right. I go to the local dealer because the owner's son collects Vettes and has them restored there. I had my rear deck repainted two years ago and they did a great job for half what other's wanted. It pays to check it out good first.

I had my car painted by MAACO. though not perfect the car looks real good. It isnt show quality,but I didnt pay show quality prices either. the car shines real good. There are some vey minor imperfections . The car is a driver and is getting ready to turn 170k miles. You just need to find a shop where they take pride in their work. My Vette is an 88 coupe Yellow

The rear bumper with "corvette" on the back looked old and crappy so I told them to paint over it and now it is all black and looks better than new. All black on the rear makes it look alot better with just the contrast of the red tailights.
And you realise that the paint is also thinner around "Corvette" and will likely crack and peel around the emblem in the hot sun when the plastic emblem goes through a heat and thaw cycle?

Never had that problem. My emblems were removed and replaced with new emblems. Paint is uniform.If a shop is good or bad has nothing to do with the name on the sign. It's the people doing the work. Also the level of finsh and prep you are prepared to pay for. My car has made 3 magazines, Super Chevy car of the month, Won a car show, and held up well. No complaints with the shop whatsoever. I went and talked with many shops and chose the MAACO on Spencer in Pasadena TX(Houston area) after much research. Don't pic a shop based on the name, don't discount a shop based on the name either. Look at the work they do,and have done recently.

Never had that problem. My emblems were removed and replaced with new emblems. Paint is uniform.If a shop is good or bad has nothing to do with the name on the sign. It's the people doing the work. Also the level of finsh and prep you are prepared to pay for. My car has made 3 magazines, Super Chevy car of the month, Won a car show, and held up well. No complaints with the shop whatsoever. I went and talked with many shops and chose the MAACO on Spencer in Pasadena TX(Houston area) after much research. Don't pic a shop based on the name, don't discount a shop based on the name either. Look at the work they do,and have done recently.
:werd:

I dropped my 99 Coupe off Monday at the Glen Burnie Maaco. Many folks in Glen Burnie say do a great job but the jury is still out on my vette. The finished jobs that I did see looked pretty good. I’ll post pics when it is done.

I also replaced my receiver with a new Dual XDVDN9131. It has 7” motorized screen, AM/FM/Sirius receiver, Navigation, Bluetooth, IPOD control, USB Port, and SD slot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom