Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MAG-wheel question

M

maxm

I have mag-wheels on my -97. Between the rim and the brakedisk there schuld be a "rubberthing" Don´t know the name of it but i think it schould isolate the mag from the iron in the disk.
On the front wheel there is the "rubberthing" missing.
Does eny of you know were i can get one. Nobody in sweden has ever heard off them.
Max

The users handbook says that there are two 'O' rings on each wheel, one on the mounting surface on the inboard side of the wheel and the other on the back of the centre hub.

In your situation, much like the UK where dealer response is zero :( , I would determine the section of the 'O' ring from the other wheel and purchase a length of similar material together with the correct adhesive.

There are other solutions to the problem, I did a search on www for 'o ring kit' and found the following UK link:

http://supaseal.co.uk/o-rings.htm

this is just one example there are probably plenty more.

Some of the products would not be cost effective for your repairs but your local suppliers may be able to direct you to users of their products. Hopefully you would be able to get the missing items manufactured [with a couple of spares?]

The seals will not have to be made to hydraulic seal specifications as their purpose is to keep water from entering the area where the magnesium contacts the steel.

If you do not want to go down this route go to gmpartsdirect.com and place an enquiry.

Let us know how you get on, good luck, :beer

Thanx for your answer. The "O"ring is not a comon O-ring. It´s 3mm thick and 25 mm wide and is kind off bent araund the inside of the rim. There is no posibility to make one youself. It´s hard to explain if you haven´t seen one for yourself.
Max

I was afraid it would be an oblong section, if that section is available it is still possible to make one. True it would 'stand' the wrong way i.e. when joined and laying on a flat surface 25mm high, rather than 3mm high. The friction required to hold it into the groove would enable it to assume the correct orientation when seated properly.

I have searched my parts information but cannot find any reference to these items although the magnesium wheels are listed.

Hopefully keeping this thread near the top of the pile someone will chime in with help.

In the meantime I would smear some silicone grease onto the area of contact near the large seal to help keep water/salt out.

:beer

If you can't find anything, there's a company called meccom around detroit that will make ant custom rubber product. Weatherstripping, o-ring....it's not cheap, but I pretty sure they'll do it. I used a guy named Skip Beareson.

I find the whole thing a litle strange. Somdody is making the rims and there are o-rings on the other wheels so sombody has to make them to. GM i Europe (Germany) has not heard of them and know nothing.
I will keep on looking. If i dont find them i will try to make one aut of rubber an use loots of silicone grease.
Thanx for your help
Max

Please do not use too much grease, the parts mate closely together, just a little smear of grease will be enough. When the wheel is tightened remove any surplus that is squeezed out. Too much grease may result in it contaminating your brake discs the result of that could be fatal. Also after running for a few miles check what is happening to the grease, if it is migrating along the spokes or hub again remove it before it reaches the disc braking surface. Get the seals as soon as possible.

If you email your VIN number I will attempt to find the Part Number for you. :beer

Hi again Maxm

Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you, again answering on forum in case we can get help here. :w

I contacted gmpartsdirect.com and they gave me part numbers for wheel sensor seals and advised that the seal for the centre cap was only available with the cap, neither of which was required. So I phrased my request slightly differently emphasising that these seals are unique to the Magnesium Wheel Option, even though I had stated the section dimensions and diameters also the purpose.
I am dismayed at the reply 'GM does not offer a wheel gasket that you requested'. :cry

I cannot believe this that they sold the wheels in quantity and do not support the product, judging by the number of questions on the forums plenty were sold in USA.

Come on guys and gals help out please, has nobody 'lost' one of these and had to replace it?

We are looking for the Part Numbers for the Magnesium Wheel Rubber Seals, the large one is 25 x 3mm section and fits into a groove machined onto the back face of the mag wheel where it abuts the brake rotor. The other seal fits in the region of the centre hub.

Many thanks and best regards,

:beer

Stan

Stan...you are The Man. I´m greatfull for all help i can get in this matter. The seal for the center hub is OK. I had a company make them for me. The problem is the big, outer seal.
Max

Max, I would love to have both part numbers in this thread so that other unfortunate owners can benefit in future.

You are not alone, I have just asked an official Corvette dealer here in the UK to supply a Magnestic Plug for the Oil Pan Drain, a common upgrade. Answer - Plug is no longer stocked as a seperate item but you can order the complete Oil Pan Assembly £800.00 approximately plus 17.5 VAT :r . Is this a jpoke or what??

I hope someone from GM reads these threads :BOW .

Regards

Stan:duh

SIMPLE QUESTION

Does anyone here have Magnesium Wheels?

Maxm, no need for you to reply. If this does not work I will start a new thread.

Best regards

Stan

Magnesium Wheel infor & Manufacturers e-mail address

The rubber ring around the center of the hub is not available from General Motors or Chevrolet.

The part only comes with the Magnesium wheel which GM purchased from an Italian company named Speedline address and an e-mail address are listed below.
Since GM stopped purchasing the wheels in 2000 GM only carries the paint, center caps, lug nuts, lug nut covers, and weights for these rims.
SpeedLine is probably the only source for the rubber liner. Unless you buy a new set of Magnesium wheels from GM for $2798. plus shipping. Or buy a used or damaged Magnesium wheel from one of the forum members.
GM Waranty will not replace the Magnesium rims under the 3 year 36 month bumper to bumper warranty either.

SPEEDLINE CORSE
Via Cognaro 57 - 30030
Caselle di S. Maria di Sala
(Venezia) - Italy
Tel. +39 041.57.093.11
Fax + 39 041.57.320.42
E-mail: infocorse@speedline.it
http://www.speedlinecorse.com/ita/default1.asp?plug=1

Good luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom