Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Magnetic Selective Ride Control---First Drive---Whoa! What a Great Option!!

jsimpson said:
I suppose if you'd rather fly an F-18 than a Pitts,...
Just a matter of appropriate technology. You wouldn't want to be dusting crops or flying in to fish on a remote lake with an F-18!

If a Corvette has ALL the latest techno-gadgets, and costs $150,000, it doesn't do me a bit of good.

As a matter of appropriate technology, you wouldn't want to be dusting crops or flying in to fish with a Pitts either. Pitts and Corvettes are toys, the fact that some people use their toys as tools notwithstanding. I like my toys basic, Yamahas notwithstanding!

Will this type of system be on the Z06 C6 version?

Keeping the wheels in contact with the road at all times is what its all about!

Even the new Ferrari Enzo thats like 600,000 dollars does not have as fast or effective system as GM's new product..

Thats pretty impressive. The General really has it going on!

Great thread!

JBsC5 said:
Will this type of system be on the Z06 C6 version?

I'd say that's possible although scuttlebutt is that one concern GM has with putting MR on the Z06 is the weight. My understanding is that MR shocks add about 13lbs to the car. It might not be until 06, that we see MR on Z06, if they can reconcile the extra weight.

Even the new Ferrari Enzo thats like 600,000 dollars does not have as fast or effective system as GM's new product..
One reason is right now Lord Corporation (who developed the MR fluid) and Delphi Automotive System (who builds the system for GM) hold most of the patents on magnetorheological fluid and it's application to ride control devices. Right not we're talking, oh...tens of thousands of units annually in Corvettes and Cadillacs but, mark my words, by mid-decade we may be talking millions of MR systems in trucks and SUVs. I wish I owned a share in Lord Corp.

Thats pretty impressive. The General really has it going on!

Indeed
I'll publish a lot more information next spring in an issue of C5 Registry magazine and then on the C5 Registry web site.

Hib Halverson said:
I'd say that's possible although scuttlebutt is that one concern GM has with putting MR on the Z06 is the weight. My understanding is that MR shocks add about 13lbs to the car. It might not be until 06, that we see MR on Z06, if they can reconcile the extra weight.

One reason is right now Lord Corporation (who developed the MR fluid) and Delphi Automotive System (who builds the system for GM) hold most of the patents on magnetorheological fluid and it's application to ride control devices. Right not we're talking, oh...tens of thousands of units annually in Corvettes and Cadillacs but, mark my words, by mid-decade we may be talking millions of MR systems in trucks and SUVs. I wish I owned a share in Lord Corp.

Indeed
I'll publish a lot more information next spring in an issue of C5 Registry magazine and then on the C5 Registry web site.

For the present car, weight is a real issue. For the next gen Z06 it'll be a moot point, IMHO.

My misgiving, which is strictly self-centered in nature, pertains to the cost of replacement and the ability.. or lack of interface to access the programming to account for a more agressive spring selection if one is made by the owner.

It's truly remarkable tech that works. Dialling it in concerns me a bit. I hope it isn't like replacing a Penske adjustible if it breaks,

50th Anniversary

My buddy just picked up his new 50th anniversary and loves the new ride control. He had a regular C5 coupe before. Big difference.

Magnetic Shock Question:
Before I buy my 50th anniversary, can someone tell me...
Will these magnetic shocks LAST? An $1800 replacement is pretty pricey. Know what I mean?
JET...

03 magnetic ride control

The 03 magnetic ride control offers practical real life advantages but is slower through the slalom by over 3 mph compared to a Z51 equipped corvette.
GM is currently working on a Z51 magnetic ride control.
Victor

There are certainly a lot of ways to look at this new damping device, but now that I understand how it works and all that it does, it sounds good. Just want to mention that if it were an option on a Porsche it would cost $18,000 instead of $1800.
:beer :L

ROCKETBLOCK said:
There are certainly a lot of ways to look at this new damping device, but now that I understand how it works and all that it does, it sounds good. Just want to mention that if it were an option on a Porsche it would cost $18,000 instead of $1800.
:beer :L

Here's the real kicker though. Anyone who can afford a Porsche considers $18,000 chump change. Actually that gives them more bragging rights. I can hear it know, "Well mine cost $18,000 not $1,800". ;LOL

I agree with Tuna. In answer to a previous question, the MRC is a 2 position switch & is separate from Active Handling. AH works just like previous years.

Chip

I'm loving the new suspension. It is a real improvement over the standard suspension offered and is a little more forgiving than the Z setup.

The shocks themselves should be more reliable than a standard strut/shock setup since there are less moving parts. The concern for me is the CPU running it. As long as GM continues to install them in new vehicles, repairs shouldn't get too expensive. Besides, you can always install a standard setup in the future if the cost was too high.

Hib Halverson said:

I believe you're thinking of Active Handling and Traction Control which you enable or disable with a button on the console.

MSRC along with the previous Real Time Damping and the Selective Ride Control (SRC) of the C4 period are controlled by a rotary selector switch on the console near the AH button. F55 has two positions. F45 had three, as I recall.

Redbob is correct. Lord developed the fluid, however, it was GM Research that applied it to automotive dampers.

Thanks for the nice compliment.
In a conversation about the system with a GM engineer, I was told in a literal sense, the fluid does not change viscosity. When the magnetic field is applied the particles all "line-up" and that changes the way it flows. I'm in the process of further research on this issue and my story for C5 Registry magazine will have the details. [/B]

Great writeup Hib as always. Do you know if you can change the ride height (lower the Vette) with MSRC?

RAY

CKA_Racing said:
Here's the real kicker though. Anyone who can afford a Porsche considers $18,000 chump change. Actually that gives them more bragging rights. I can hear it know, "Well mine cost $18,000 not $1,800". ;LOL
Most of the people I know with an ample amount of money are TIGHT. That is partly why they have an ample amount of moolah. Most of them brag about buying wholesale and getting a deal. I just have to laugh at the few that brag about paying more for the same thing.:L

I read , that you will be able to retrofit the earlier C5's , Gm is working on it now,can't wait.

Glad to hear owners of this new F55 option express their satisfaction with it.

Slalom is one thing...real world handling improvements are achieved by keeping the tires in contact with the road. (even with mid corner bumps)

Sounds to me like the F55 is more effective at doing this.

I don't know the cost of replacing the shocks but if done on the next evolution of corvette....and I decide to buy again..

I'd pay the 1,800 dollars for the option..(although I heard it might be standard).

Maybe mix this technology with titanium coil springs?

Timet (sp) maker of the Z06's titanium exhaust is hoping to supply titanium coil springs for the General.

75% less weight than steel springs..with smaller packaging requirements..

Titanium is 43 percent less dense than steel but just as strong. Its highly resistant to corrosion. It can be cast, machined and stamped.

Standard steel costs about 35 cents a pound. The high strength steel costs about a buck a pound. The alloys used in jet engines cost roughly 15 to 25 dollars a pound. Even a grade of titanium suitable for mufflers costs about $10 a pound.

As far back as July 2000, timet, the supplier for the titanium used in the Corvettes mufflers is on record as stating ..they are hoping to supply titanium springs to GM.

They state that because of the materials strength and stiffness, titanium springs require less wire than steel ones, which conbine with the lower density to weigh as much as 75% less than a steel spring.

Would this be a better setup than the present leafs in the C5?

If so Y?

ROCKETBLOCK, I would tend to agree that the people that really have money are tight, because that is how they got the money in the first place - by keeping it. However, a lot of the people that drive Porsche's are pretenders and in times past, cashed in stock options to pay for the car. So, the desire for bragging rights that CKA_Racing refers to is still there.

The rumored Retrofit for F45 owners so they can go to F55 technology sounds very impressive.

Considering the cost of F45 shock replacements at approximately 2 grand and the complete conversion from F45 to the superior F55 costing out at between 2400 to 2900..

I would imagine the corvette owners with F45 will be chomping on the bit to decide if F55 is an affordable mod.

The F55 corvette suspension is faster adapting to road conditions than the 600,000 dollar Enzo Ferrari..

Keeping the tires in contact with the road is paramount to true street performance. IMHO.

I look foward to hearing reports back from F45 owners that made the switch to F55 when it becomes available. Should be interesting and its good to hear GM is making retrofitting of new technology available.

Thats a good trend! IMHO

I have it on my 2003 sgm Vert and it is everything they say.
Love it!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom