Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Major wind noise

V

vipereater

My car is a 98 Coupe. The wind noise worsens as my speed picks up. At 70 mph its impossible to carry on a normal conversation. I've had it into a body shop and they helped it somewhat by adjusting both windows. I've heard there is a bulletin to correct the problem by cutting a slit on the inside of the weather-stripping. If so, does this work? Has anyone else had the same problem? Am I correct that the windows actually suck out and what is the correction? Both windows leak in the car wash. Must fix this week......taking it on vacation in 8 days. Thanks all.

Vipereater

http://members.cox.net/nemesis_moxie_corvettes/

Welcome to the club

My drivers side is MY problem. Right where the windshield pillar and the top meet I get some bad noise. The dealer bodyshop "supposedly" fixed it, but it is worse now than when they "fixed" it. He told me up fromt that there wasn't much he could do about that, but the passenger side fits great. I notice that the drivers side doesn't quite fit the inner weather stripping like the passenger side does--there is a gap of 1/8"-1/4" where on the pass side there is none. I'm supposed to take it back this week so they can look at it.
--Drew:w

At 70 mph there is a gap where the window is not sealing. I can not detect a gap when the car is sitting still. The service bulletin is for a hissing sound. The sound I'm getting is more like the windows are down about 1/4 inch. The body shop says the windows can not be pulled up any further or the glass will hit the "tabs" of the top when the door is open and closed. Seems impossible to create a seal unless they can be adjusted up further.

Maybe GM has a service bulletin to seal it with duct tape. :hb

up, down, in, out

I think my problem is more of an in/out adjustment rather than an up/down. You would think that maybe on a car that cost more than $45,000 new that they could get the windows to seal properly.

Sounds like the top of the drivers window needs to be tilted in further to make a tight seal. I'm not the expert though, and I have had no reason to take mine apart to see how it's done.
But that is where I would start. By tilting the top in, it would tighten the sealing area and still provide clearance with the tabs. It doesn't take much tilting one way or the other to change those critical sealing areas.
vettepilot

There are a couple of TSBs out for this problem. However, the one that you refer to calling for a cut in the weather strip is not one of them. That is a TSB (# 83-15-07 issued 05/05/98 SUBJECT: Hiss Type Noise Coming From Weatherstrip When Closing Door) but it has to do with a hissing noise eminating from the weatherstrip when the door is closed, not while the car is underway. One of the TSBs dealing specifically with wind noise is TSB # 01-08-58-001 issued 01/29/01 Subject: Windnoise around "B" Pillar (Add Sealer). Another is TSB # 83-15-08, issued 05/19/1998, SUBJECT: WATER LEAK ABOVE DOOR GLASS (RESEAL BLOWOUT CLIP). While this last bulletin is specifically aimed at water leaks, my dealer used it to stop the wind noise I had on the passenger side and they stopped a slight water leak I had on the driver side. The car has been wind noise and leak free since (about two years now). Hope this helps, good luck.

tell anyone who's adjusted it to give you your money back and take it somewhere else. It's all in the adjustment of the windows.

i'm now having very similar problems in my car. the driver's side window of mine was fine until someone broke the window when breaking into the car. the place that put the new window in did it incorrectly and i have taken it back 3 times to get it re-done. i know that it is simply the adjustment, and that when someone gets it right it will be fine.

apparently, getting it adjusted correctly is not an easy task.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom