Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Manual vs Automatic

Stelios

Hey guys! This is my first day as a member :happyanim: I am searching for a C3 Corvette, it will be my first car. Should I buy a manual or an automatic? I really want a manual but, are there any issues with it I should know? Do you guys recommend an automatic? Every info you give me will help a LOT! As I said it will be my first Corvette and my first car... What do you guys think?

Buy a manual transmission car, they are usually worth more in a C3 and much more fun to drive.

What do you guys think?[ Oh my ,Think :W

My first Corvette was a 69 convertible manual transmission 350/375 hp .I drove the money pit for 280,000 miles and sold it for much more than it was worth .I've had 4 other corvettes since, all manual by choice .

Enjoy and stay safe

I'm going to say a few things that you don't want to hear. A C3 for a first car will be a challenge. Unless you have mechanical skills and tools, you'll need deep pockets to pay someone to repair and maintain a 40 +/- year old car. Many if not most of us with C3's have them as a second car or project car. I advise you to get a reliable daily driver first and then look for a C3.
With that being said, C3's are sexy as hell and always turn heads. I have had three Corvettes, '61 '84, and '75 in that order. All were manual trans.

Welcome to CAC!!!

get what you want and enjoy it!!!!!
they are a blast to derive!!!!!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Welcome to the CAC

Considering your plans for the car my advice is to buy the very best car you can afford. Get it checked out by a reputable shop before you buy it and if it needs anything like brakes, wheel bearings, u-joints clutch ect., get it done before you ship it. You don't want to be boken down in Greece and have to source parts from the U.S. Waiting time, customs and other extra costs will be high not to mention finding someone who knows Corvettes and can do the work. The 4 speed will always bring a higher resale price given that the cars are equal otherwise plus they are more fun to drive and are easier to get serviced in Europe than an American built automatic.

Let us know how your search is going.

Tom

First of all I wanna thank everyone for their suggestions and comments! It really helped and I really appreciate it! :beer

My budget is up to $ 8000. I know it's not a lot but this is what I can afford right now. I've been searching for a while now... I found this Corvette 1980 Chevy Corvette - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

what do you think? I still have to call the guy and ask for more info about the engine, transmission , etc.... But what are your comments? Does it look good?

My 77 is a TH350 auto. It's a reliable, and I usually manually shift it, because I do not agree with the shift points. My biggest reason I would prefer a manual, as they are not as parasitic as an auto. I think autos use take away about 15 hp, while a manual is much less, but I don't know the exact amount. I bought the car cause of the condition which is excellent, but I couldn't get this kind of luck looking for a manual. I would make it priority to get a good Vette, but if you find a 4 speed in good condition, and the price is right, then you'll be good to go.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom