Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Manufacturer on Certification of Compliance label

Sven-Labil

Hello,
I’m investigating the possibility to import a Callaway twin turbo to Sweden. One thing that for some reason is really important to the Swedish authorities
is if GM or Callaway is named as manufacturer on a label referred to as Certificate of Title, probably placed on the driver side doorframe.
I think this is called Certification of Compliance on American cars and shows which Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Regulations are applicable to the car.
Is there a Certification of Compliance label from GM on the doorframe or has it been replaced with one from Callaway? (Or is there one from Callaway also?)

Sven,

Welcome to the Callaway Forum at the CAC!! :upthumbs

That is a good question. I know that Callaway had to certify meeting emission standards but I have never looked at the label to see if they reissued it or of it is the standard GM label :L.

Several years ago I used to own a Buick GNX which was modified in a similar manner to the Callaway by McLaren. In that case McLaren was the issuer on the emissions label but I have never looked for the label on my Twin Turbo. On the Buick, the label was in the engine bay. I will take a picture of the label for you in a couple of hours.

I suspect that on the Callaway Twin Turbo it is the standard GM label because of the low number of cars that were produced on a yearly basis. The Buick GNX run was larger, 547 cars only produced in 1987, while the Callaway Twin Turbo production varied from about 167 cars the first year (1987) to 62 the last year (1991).

-Luigi
:cool

For monetary interests, it may be cheaper for you to import a Callaway from Switzerland. Corvette Total always has a good supply.

Check the Occasionen section
http://corvettetotal.ch/

Sven,

Sorry I have not been able to go take a picture but I did find these that I already have. The emissions are certified by Callaway. I have 2 examples an 89 with a plaque on an intercooler side tank
89Emissions.JPG

and a 1990 decal on the Radiator
90Emissions.JPG

-Luigi
:cool

The title will say Chevrolet, as the Callaway was an option on top of that for the 1987 - 1991 cars.

I could take a picture of my door decals, but it just says it conforms to the model year specs and is a Chevrolet sticker :w

Here however, is an EPA cert. plate on an 87 (not all 87s will be fitted with these, as they came later in production)

pict8.jpg

Luigi, here is a 1991 - Note the label on the shroud. Does yours have this???

1990+ cars got the Champion HOT plate on one side and the MOBIL1 plate onthe other. 1989 and earlier cars have MOBIL1 on one side, ign. timing/EPA on the other. :cool

image5.jpg

check with Heimo Huma, he imported his from UK

or investigate law in getting your future car tested for TUV in Germany first before importing.

this is THE way to get a special Vette registered easy into the Netherlands.

and Welcome ofcourse :upthumbs

For monetary interests, it may be cheaper for you to import a Callaway from Switzerland. Corvette Total always has a good supply.

Check the Occasionen section
http://corvettetotal.ch/

Brandon,

did you check out the prices on that website and current value of the Swiss Frank ???? compared with Euro vs US Dollar

and then please re-consider your statement.

these cars were there for a long time and will be there for a long time.
But good thing it is close to Leingarten , so when you visit Callaway Europe you can easily hop by Garage Huber in Bonstetten.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom