Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Matching numbers

R

RMJones

I just purchased a 1992 Dark Red Convertible with white leather and top. It is a 6 speed with only 18K one owner documented miles and has never seen rain. The wheels tubs look like new! I ran a Carfax (for what that is worth) and my buddy ran an AutoCheck with no accidents or major issues found. I have the window sticker and all service documentation. I want to take it to Bloomington next year and get it judged but how do I tell if all the numbers (VIN, Engine, Tranny) match up? Will they look at that?

Also, my car has a new water pump, coolant and thermostat. With the AC on it runs at about 195 degrees. Turn the AC off and it climbs to 226 until the fans come on by itself. Is this normal to be this hot?

My car runs great (I do get an annoying intermittant Service ASR light from time to time) but the car has done alot of sitting. The more I drive it the less I seem to get the light. No other lights. Any thoughts?

As far as I can tell the only fluid that has never been replaced is the rear end. Should I do it with only 18K miles?

How bad is this Optispark thing? Mine starts the second you hit the key cold and hot and runs super strong through all RPM ranges. Should I be worried about it failing due to age? I have the original plugs and wires!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I am asking alot of questions! Thank you in advance! :)

I don't have any clue on your matching numbers question.

I can say that your coolant temperatures are normal. The LT1 is a reverse flow system and the stock thermostat and cooling fan temp points allow for warmer temps than you're probably used to. It's okay.

Get a code read out on the ASR system and go from there. It might be a loose wire on the wheel sensors or something else.

With such low miles and being 16 years old, I'd change all the fluids, belt and hoses if you don't know if they have been changed (including brake fluid).

I don't have any problems with the OptiSpark. I ran the same one for 11 years on my '92 without problems. Just remember - don't hose down the engine or get water on the Opti -- it doesn't like getting wet!

The '92 original plugs were/are platinum tipped and they were prone to lose the tip around 30K miles. I had mine replaced under warrantee years ago. Newer plugs are better. Can't comment on the wires.

Enjoy!

I wouldn't worry too much about any of the issues. Those plugs and wires should be good, the belt and hoses might be age checked but the wires should be good to go. It would be a good thing to have the ASR codes checked and the comment about having all the fluids changed out is a good idea as well.

It looks to me that you scored a beautiful find and you should enjoy it to the max.

how do I tell if all the numbers (VIN, Engine, Tranny) match up?

The production sequence number from the VIN is stamped on the block pad , pass side front of block. Should be the same as VIN if original.
VIN 1G1YY23P6N5119977 would have 5119977 stamped on block
Should also have ZTB stamped ; 350ci 300hp MT
There are numbers stamped on the trans relating to year of production but nothing to relate to the VIN.

A lot of information about a car being 'Numbers matching' can be found in a copy of the Corvette Black Book, by Michael Antonick. I know when i had my 79 flight judged by judges at a NCRS judging meet, they check every number. Including the radio? Also, with your car being driven so little, I'd get all the fluids like the power streering, brake fluid and transmission. But I'd leave the differential fluid alone since you just had it done. I have my brake fluid changed every two years and the transmission fluid changed every four years, but that's just me. The opti-spark system is a good setup, you just don't want to get water anywhere near the opti-spark unit. So don't wash the engine, and keep an eye on the cooling system to prevent any leaks from coming in contact with the opti-spark unit.

The temps that you are seeing are perfect, that's right where they should be.:)

It is a 6 speed with only 18K one owner documented miles and has never seen rain.

Welcome to CAC! You will have a blast here! :beer

What an awesome looking Vette! :upthumbs

Now, to the incorrect information you wrote in your first post:

EVERY Vette undergoes a "Water Test" before leaving Bowling Green! Gordon Killebrew informed me of the fact himself! :chuckle

So, technically, your Vette HAS been in the rain! :rotfl

Actually, rain or wash water helps to keep the weatherstripping and felt strips in better condition.

Carry on! :thumb

SAVE THE :w

Thank you very much for the great information! Everyone here has been super nice!
Welcome to CAC! You will have a blast here! :beer

What an awesome looking Vette! :upthumbs

Now, to the incorrect information you wrote in your first post:

EVERY Vette undergoes a "Water Test" before leaving Bowling Green! Gordon Killebrew informed me of the fact himself! :chuckle

So, technically, your Vette HAS been in the rain! :rotfl

Actually, rain or wash water helps to keep the weatherstripping and felt strips in better condition.

Carry on! :thumb

SAVE THE :w

Hello, and welcome to CAC!

I had my '95 coupe judged for Bloomington Gold in 2006 - and won it!

They do check for correct engine code, and I made sure that I'd cleaned the pad prior to the show. I wanted to ensure that it was clear and legible.

I'll be happy to answer any questions I can about judging.

I see two things that will get you dinged for Gold judging - the sill plate covers and the engine information label on the console. Remember, the judging is centered to two aspects of the car - does the way it look represent 'typical factory production' and what is the condition of the item being judged.

Additionally, you have to think about how the car left the factory, and what was supplied when it did so. So, you'll want to have the owners packet ready, as well as two sets of keys (I remember that one, because I forgot my second set - I left it on my dresser!). You'll want to have the tools required to remove the license plate and front plate cover. Look at your car to ensure that it doesn't have typical accessories - like aftermarket valve stem covers (they should be black plastic ones).

When you register for judging, you'll get a copy of the basic form, so that you can review the car yourself. This sheet will drive you crazy as you try to discern the originality and condition scales on the sheets!

You need to ensure that everything works as advertised - radio, HVAC, antenna, seats, instruments - all of it. It basically all comes down to details - you need to look at the car through neutral eyes, and take care of those things which detract from originality and condition.

Good luck in that pursuit!

Steven
Gold Cert #3688

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom