Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Maximum gastank gallons.

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Hello everybody,

I was wondering who know's how any gallons fit inside the 81 gastank?
If I remember correctly the manual says 24 gallons.
The thing is (it's already 9 years ago) but with an empty tank I never put in more then 21 gallons.
During the resto I looked inside the tank and no liner is present so am I right with the 21 gallons?

Greetings Peter

Good Question Peter, Sorry I don't have a answer for you, but hope someone will chime in.....Tim

If you go to the L81 registry, they supply all the maintenance and misc. Specs on there:thumb

If I recall correctly (not sure where I read this), when the gauge reads Empty and/or low fuel light comes on, there is supposed to be approximately three gallons of fuel in the tank serving as a reserve. 24 gallon tank minus 3 gallon reserve could equal a 21 gallon fill up.

:)

If I recall correctly (not sure where I read this), when the gauge reads Empty and/or low fuel light comes on, there is supposed to be approximately three gallons of fuel in the tank serving as a reserve. 24 gallon tank minus 3 gallon reserve could equal a 21 gallon fill up.

:)
:w Mike,

Yea I have heard 3 gallons, also 2 also 1 1/2 gallons. I thought it was time for someone to look it up ...

From my GM ST-364-81 GM Shop Manual: Section 8C page 9
Speaking to the Low Fuel warning Light
"The light comes on when fuel level drops to approximately 7.5L (two gallons)."

And that's the name of that tune ;)

Bud

Hello everybody,

I was wondering who know's how any gallons fit inside the 81 gastank?
If I remember correctly the manual says 24 gallons.
The thing is (it's already 9 years ago) but with an empty tank I never put in more then 21 gallons.
During the resto I looked inside the tank and no liner is present so am I right with the 21 gallons?

Greetings Peter

Vettehead Mickey is right on the money... 23.7 US gals. or 90 litres.
B.T.W. Peter, I dropped my gas tank a few years ago for inspection and clean-up and if I remember correctly, '81's came with an urethane liner(creme color) inside the tank (not a bladder). I'm assuming mine was original since the build sheet was still on it. Ohhhh...that's why I dropped it.

Regards....;:w
Roger

When my low fuel light is on I can refill for about 70 liters max. I already know my fuel meter and light are not right on the money. But if 80 liter is the max you can put in the tank or 90 liters make alot of difference for the low fuel light (reserve tank). But I think the best way to test it is to take a 2 gallon fuel can and drive till empty, then refill and drive to the nearest fuelstation.

Greetings Peter

When I say 90 litres, I'm going by the book. Never really tested it. (my low fuel light doesn't work). I like your plan but be careful when running out of fuel. Last summer, I was running low and stopped for fuel. Filled her up and left only to stall 1 km. later. Go figure. Opened the hood, took the air filter off only to find out no fuel going to the carb. Pumped like crazy and still no gas coming up the carb. (I had a full tank). Had to pour fuel directly in the carb bowl to start her up. No problem ever since. Must be what people call "air lock" or "vapor lock"

Regards...,
Roger

When I say 90 litres, I'm going by the book. Never really tested it. (my low fuel light doesn't work). I like your plan but be careful when running out of fuel. Last summer, I was running low and stopped for fuel. Filled her up and left only to stall 1 km. later. Go figure. Opened the hood, took the air filter off only to find out no fuel going to the carb. Pumped like crazy and still no gas coming up the carb. (I had a full tank). Had to pour fuel directly in the carb bowl to start her up. No problem ever since. Must be what people call "air lock" or "vapor lock"

Regards...,
Roger

I had the same problem only ones (before the rebuild I runned out of fuel 2 times I think without a problem) but when the engine was on the chassis it wouldn't start either. Fuel in the tank (only 10 or 20 liters or so) but after checking no fuel at the fuel pump. I think the fuel pump wasn't able to make enough vacuum to pull the fuel over it's highest point (top of fuel tank) to go to the fuel pump. But it's just a thought. :)

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom