Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MD Vette owners

bobmo

Corvette
1987 Bright red, 1974 coupe--Basket case
I was un-happily stuck in the 301 baybridge traffic on Sunday. As the traffic neared the bridge there were 3 troopers sitting and obviously not making any money on speeding tickets. As I went past one, I noticed he stopped the car behind me and got in behind me. At 5mph I was not too worried.
1/4 mile farther he turns on his flashers and motioned to the left, there was no room and I went as far as I could. He stopped and moved some cones for me to pull of the road.
The short version of the story is that he ticketed me for no front registration plate. $50.
So my question is how do the rest of you guys solve this problem?
The cop told me that Chevy sells a front plate holder.
And $50 seems awful steep for such a stupid detail.

eager to hear some other Drama's
Bob

I got caught for that same stupid thing.

Worse, I put the "fake tag" in back of the pass. seat and my passenger moved the seat back, crunching it.

I look at it as another tax. Since I work at BWI, where the MD transit authority cops hang out, I put the tag back. Otherwise, I'd get caught way too often.

You can try using velco to velcro the tag on the passenger's dashboard, but there's little room in the later c4's.

I recommend having the tag handy and if you get pulled over, just put it on the dash. Have the velco ready. I had mine handy, but I didn't think of that.

Bob,

A couple of questions.. Do you not want to put the front lic. plate on? Are you not sure how to install the plate?

From 1984 on GM put a filler Plastic plate in the front plate area that has Corvette on it. This can be removed using a Torq type driver there are 2 (as I recall) that hold it in place.

Then your regular plate will fit into the area and can be fastened in place.

I know lot's of folks don't like having the front plate on their car, I also know lot's of folks that have received tickets for not having it on their cars too ;)

I have always put vanity plates on my Corvettes so I never had an issue with running a front plate.

Don't know if this helps or not. Out here in Kalifornia if one receives a fix-it for a plate missing it can become rather serious if it becomes a multiple happening :eek the CHP out here usually aren't the heavy's when it come to the front tag .. it's usually the Local police.

Bud

Thanks Bud
The answer to both your questions is yes.

Thanks for the info on how to remove the front 'corvette'.
Many of the surrounding states here dont issue front tags, so it seems stupid to make a fuss, especially a $50 fuss.

I like the very clean lines of the front end, and to square it off with a useless plate seems, somewhat perverted. But thats MD for ya.

Bob

Try this... I live in Delaware... we only have one plate. I have been harrassed by out of state police for one plate. Try to explain it to a cop out West, they have no idea what is legal in DE. I don't want to put anything on the front of my Vette. It is too kleen to mess it up if i don't have to. I feel for you sitting on 301, i have been there done that a few times.

heh...

i just went to court for this today and took pictures, bill of sale from the dealer, and explained (played dumb) that i didn't know how to put it on and when i went to the dealer for the hard plates they never put it on. the fine was dropped and had to pay court costs of only 23 dollars. judge still said it was the law and it had to be on the front of the car. when i'm out showing the car on the weekends around our local cruise area i put the front plate on the dash and haven't been messed with it yet. i did get 1 warning last year and since i put it on the dash nothing. when i got the ticket i was in baltimore, not so good part, checking out a warehouse for a potential buy for a partner of mine and i think i was mostly pulled for profiling purposes.

oh well paid and done with. he told me that i probably won't be pulled for it basically 1-1000 shot and "could" go years with out being pulled strictly for that reason...lol

damn Republic of Maryland and their Tax Police! :r

morale of the story!?!?!? the tag will NOT go on the front of my car. i'll keep going to court :D

Ditto!

Tag is never going on the front! My boyfriend gets pulled over all the time for it... but he happens to be a cop so he has no problem getting off.

Supposely if its displayed in the front dash you will have no problem.

Charlene

I have one thing to say about getting a ticket for not having a front license plate!! It aint't nice. So i won't say it. Those cops have an itch and they have to scratch it !!! Its not a public safety hazard???? Go catch the aggressive drivers !!

I don't run my issued-front plate either.......I haven't been pulled over yet (knock-knock). I was in traffic on Sat. next to a cop and he saw the front and back of my car numerous times but didn't do/say anything. I figured as soon as he saw the back and realized the VA plates, I would be toast. I guess it was my lucky day.

I thought that you didn't have to use front plates in MD? Just about every MD vehicle that I've seen never had it on? That's news to me. Sorry for you incident, Bob.

me 2

I got a $50 ticket in my Camaro for no front plate.

The cop was just looking for a reason to pull over the beat up Camaro in Columbia. ( i didn't look "white" enough for her )

The only reason I didn't have a front plate was the car was from FL and didn't have a holder. The front license plate holder is $50. So I came out ahead of the game since I didn't have to put the plate on! :)

Sad to say, but the law states you must have two license plates. I don't think owning a Corvette makes you exempt from any laws.

Do the crime do the time....

-Gooney0

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom