Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

mechanical fuel pump

brumbach

Corvette
1965 convertible
I've got a see thru inline fuel filter. I noticed, at idle, fuel in the filter is only filling to the bottom 1/3. Also, fuel is entering the filter in squirts instead of a steady flow. Is this normal or is my fuel pump beginning to fail? What's your thoughts?

Add'l note: As reported above, I had been driving the car for about 30 minutes in 80 degree temp. I took it out this morning (60 degrees) for about the same time. Checked the fuel filter @ idle, and it was nearly full with fuel and no visable evidence of squirting action. Fuel seemed to flow steadily. Is also this normal? by the way, the filter lays horizontally.

They shouldn't make those things - makes people worry about their fuel pumps. :) You really should trash it and replace it with a steel line - they're a fire hazard. :eyerole

They shouldn't make those things - makes people worry about their fuel pumps. :) You really should trash it and replace it with a steel line - they're a fire hazard. :eyerole

John,

So you're saying "don't worry, be happy"? I can do that!

John,

We can't stop them from making those types of crappy filters, but we can stop purchasing them.

A few years ago I saw what these type of plastic filters do when a melt down occurs, and it's not pretty. :eek:hnoes

Stepinwolf

Are you guys just talking about the plastic inline filters, or does this logic also apply to the glass canister type on the 62 300 and 340HP engines?

Are you guys just talking about the plastic in-line filters, or does this logic also apply to the glass canister type on the 62 300 and 340HP engines?

David,

I can't speak for others, but personally as far as I'm concerned, I will stick to the metal canister type. Weather or not it's original for the car, is second to the much larger security factor that the metal filter will afford me.

Had the plastic, and glass filters been acceptable, other then the issues with the high pressure in todays fuel systems, they would probably still be in use, which as we all know, is not the case.

Stepinwolf

Are you guys just talking about the plastic inline filters, or does this logic also apply to the glass canister type on the 62 300 and 340HP engines?

The glass canister filters on C1's are OK - they're very thick, and solidly mounted. What we're talking about is the in-line clear filters that get Bubba'd into the factory steel line from the pump to the carb with rubber hoses and clamps on C2/C3's. There's a reason the factory system on the pressure side of the pump is all steel with flare fittings. :eyerole

Great question, w/ great answers..
after I get my BB back together I'm going to hide an in line steel just to take care of any 40 yr.old rust in the tripower line..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom