Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warning! Mice and Corvettes, for what it is worth

cleon

Corvette
1979 T Top Dark Green
This has probably been talked about before on the Forum. I am a new guy so this you may find helpful.

About 6 years ago I had an opportunity to purchase a 1979 T top with 18,000 original miles.
I had been stored in a Barn for 22 years, and not driven. For those of you that have had Barn finds stored for many years. The news is not as good as you may think. Mice do not like the cold they do like to eat and make babies. In the winter, where I live we get cold and snow. The mice come in out of the snow and cold. Their food supply is very low, so they make due with what ever they can find. A Corvette in storage makes a good place to keep warm. While the Mice make a now home and nest out of your Corvette they also begin to chew on wiring and rubber hoses etc. To make the 79 drivable I replaced most all of the rubber parts and fixed a lot of wiring, some was age related and some was Mice damage.

The Corvette now is a good driving fun car for my wife and I. I store it in the winter in my attached garage. Also gives me a chance to do a winter project heads, cam suspension etc. I forgot that Mice live in my subdivision too and come in out of the cold. The Corvette still makes a good home and nesting place. Closing the windows dose not necessary keep them out. The 79 has a whole chewed in the bottom of the jack tool box, from the barn storage. It is like a front door for them.

My neighbor told me that she had some Mice in her house. I though about it, and even though saw no evidence of mice. I purchased some good old Mouse traps. Caught 7 in the house. Then I started to think about the Corvette. Set traps inside and under hood. Caught several more.

For what it is worth, set a couple of Mouse traps in your stored Corvette. Use peanut butter as bate, it will not spoil. You may be surprised to find you have caught some and may have saved your self work later. It is cheep protection.:)

Every winter I put a few bars of Irish Spring soap in the car. I take the bars and shave them up into pieces and put them into trays. That keeps the mice away for me.

I put moth balls ALL around the floor around the vette this year.
we will see how well that works!
Last year I used bounce fabric sheets all thru the vette and the damn things STILL got in my vette and used the vacuum system for the heater/ac as lunch!!!!!:mad:mad:mad

Hope you can get the moth ball smell out of your car when spring comes. Here in Florida we have people spread moth balls around their front door and bushes to keep the snakes away but the smell is horrible.

I put moth balls ALL around the floor around the vette this year.
we will see how well that works!
Last year I used bounce fabric sheets all thru the vette and the damn things STILL got in my vette and used the vacuum system for the heater/ac as lunch!!!!!:mad:mad:mad

Here all the time I though it was the nitro you were using when we were on the DragonTail.
.:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie

Here all the time I though it was the nitro you were using when we were on the DragonTail.
.:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie

NITRO??????NITRO???????
that was new york MOUSE PISS!!!!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom